This makes me wanna use IE again

Vincent

So, Microsoft released a commercial for Internet Explorer 9/10, and I must say I like the commercial :)

My brains say that I have to use IE again, but my heart still belongs to Chrome (Oh, how poetic ;))

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Commercial is catchy but I can't help feel that the creators should have inserted in small print "text-shadow not supported".

It would have been a fail if they had put a shadow to the text in the commercial :) Too bad they weren't stupid enough for that :(

Yes good to see Chrome and others have pushed MS to make -what seems to be- a better product, though I'm not sure it can take back their market share. Also more importantly than fancy graphics: how does it handle the code, that is the main issue for developers (and users who benefit from their work). MS still seems to be focussed on how their browser looks instead of how the content looks. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

There was another one, with a quote on the end stating that IE squashed all their competitors... which seems really, really overly optimistic even for them.

IE9 is crap.

IE10 is better. But still crap.

Microsoft still have a long way to go, not just because of compatibility of, let's be frank, fundamentals that should be in any browser, but just the simple fact of speed, performance and security.

All three of those have clearly been improved - especially when you look back as far as IE6 - but for me, Chrome still beats it hands down.

I haven't done much testing in IE10, but I imagine it will be the same old story of having to make special exceptions when, most of the time, Chrome and other browsers render stuff the right way.

With IE getting the (I'll never use, it's still lacking) type thing. Firefox is seriously heading down this road but it's still my browser of choice because of 1 extension (I can't get on with the chrome code inspector). If chrome had a fully fledged firebug extension chrome would be my browser of choice with FF being used only for testing purposes.

Back on topic - Regarding commercials by microsoft they are not shy to experiement *remembers the banned xbox commercials* :D they were simply awesome and hilarious.

To give IE9 some credit, its rendering of old fashioned 'DHTML' stuff (aka huge number of elements with position absolute moving around/scrolling) far exceeds that of Chrome or Firefox. In an old Javascript zombie game I wrote about 4-5 years ago IE9 gets a comfortable 60 frames per second (could go higher if the game allowed), Firefox gets 40-60 and Chrome is lucky to get 30.

Link if anyone is interested~

I love the advert, I like a lot of Microsoft adverts, they must work with a great agency to create them.

This one is pretty funny:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I still dislike it though and will install Chrome on friends and family PC's as a primary browser, IE just isn't good enough yet. I want them to view pages how their supposed to be viewed, at their best and IE doesn't do that (most of the time).

Microsoft has one hell of a marketing team. They've always been good on advertisement.

But ads do not tell the whole story and in the end, Microsoft if it doesn't change it's ways; will continue to fail no matter how many ads they make.

1) Universal Web Standards --- Epic fail

If I can design a site and it works in 50 alternatives (actual number, which includes mobile web), but only Internet Explorer fails... What really is the problem?

2) Security - Impossible at current design

As long as Microsoft Internet Explorer is built into the OS (operating system) either in full or in part... It can never be secure to fully use it.

3) Speed - Either you have it or you don't.

I've alpha, beta, and rmt test Internet Explorer 10... It is an improvement over IE9, but it just isn't there.

Top Bottom