This level of stupidness leaves me speechless

Even though it would be fun to watch him while his site is going down in flames, it could bring troubles. I know a case where a developer got into legal troubles for taking revenge on some fraudulent subject, causing a considerable loss of money.

Do you have a link or a source for this? Not doubting, I just want to see what their complaint was.

Do you have a link or a source for this? Not doubting, I just want to see what their complaint was.
There is no link and the thing isn't even related to internet software.

Long story short: A many years ago, a good friend of mine was hired for contract work for some piece of complex software. When he completed the work, they paid him just about one third of the agreed sum, promising they would pay the remaining part as soon as their financial situation clears up (the missing part was a considerable amount of $$, not just a couple hundred bucks).

They did not, however, and a while after the company was acquired by some other entity who apparently found a legal loophole on which they based the further denial of all payments. He went to court and was dragged into a long, long legal fight draining lots of money and other resources (sounds familiar here?) until he decided to take revenge by doing something that caused the software to malfunction (somehow, he still had access to the system) and this got him into even more legal troubles.

Eventually, they settled the case out of court, but his action of revenge backfired big time.

Taking justice into your own hands isn't exactly a bright idea - whether the other side deserves it or not is not really relevant. Only laws are.

This is the entitlement mentality for you. People thinking they have a right to basically your money and time. Just another sign of the times..

Last edited:
If you can detect and act upon an unlicensed user (preferably one lacking decent internet programming skills), invoke this bit of JavaScript for him. His web page will disapper right before his eyes. I call it the DOM of Doom. :D

Code:
<div id="DOMofDoomBase"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">

function disableChild(nextVictim)

{

var i;

for (i = 0; i < nextVictim.childNodes.length; i++)

{

disableChild (nextVictim.childNodes[i]);

}

if (nextVictim.nodeType == 1)

{

nextVictim.innerHTML = '';

nextVictim.style.visibility = 'hidden';

}

return;

}

function DOMofDoom()

{

var topLevel = document.getElementById("DOMofDoomBase").parentNode;

while (topLevel.parentNode != null)

{

topLevel = topLevel.parentNode;

}

disableChild (topLevel);

return;

}

onload=setTimeout("DOMofDoom();",10000);

//onload=DOMofDoom

</script>

Last edited:
Mike, I actually prefer inserting callbacks in various parts of files I distributed in the past. For one it's sneaky and two the genuine customers wouldn't have an issue, whereas those who weren't licensed to used it had their site information relayed back. It worked out pretty well when it came to DMCA time.

I have a similar story. Guy PM's me on the XFArcade site wanting me to fix his arcade script. After he PM's me his ftp credentials he tells me that his Xenforo is pirated. I double checked the ftp credentials and they indeed worked. My first inclination was to accidentally remove his pirated software and effectively his established forum. But after FTPing in, I chickened out and reported it to the XF team instead. People have a lot of gall. Needless to say, I did not fix his problem and his pirated Xenforo is still online.

Top Bottom