This is why I hate Paypal

Dynamic

Section 1 - Brand new account. Still a virgin. Account limited after registration.
pp1.webp

Section 2 - Take note of the dates the restrictions were applied, and when I submitted the documents (same day). It took them another 7 days to add new restrictions to the account AFTER I already submitted the documents they asked for. Mind you, this is STILL a virgin account.
pp2.webp

Section 3 - I still have not received an e-mail asking me for more documents. Clicking "Resolve" takes me to this page where it wants to to upload documents from an e-mail I never received. I e-mailed Paypal to try and find out which documents I need - I have yet to hear from them.
pp3.webp

Exactly how bad for business will it be if I completely stop supporting Paypal payments?

EDIT: Fixed up the second image as it did not capture all the information originally.

Attachments

• pp2.webp
    pp2.webp
    68.9 KB · Views: 12
What type of account did you open up? I've never had any problems like this

A business account. I don't know what the problem is. We can an ABN and ACN, I listed the company directors and all of the other information they wanted. I even had to fill out a form explaining how the company works and what services we provide. What a joke.

This must be either a new thing, or an Australia thing. I opened a PP business account a few years back and never saw any of this, at least I don't think so. I vaguely remember having to supply some documents but I don't recall it being a huge hassle.

Now, changing the ownership of any PP business account, that's another ball of wax. PayPal will even tell you that it's easier to abandon the account (change the e-mail address associated with the account) and open a different one (using the original e-mail address)

This is quite common to happen. It can happen to anyone and is part of how PayPal makes money. They regularly freeze accounts of normal people based upon trivial grounds. They have promised improvement many times after they caught in the media spotlight while taking the money of charities and vulnerable people. It still continues though. Their system is designed to drive people crazy until they give up their money.

Sometimes it takes up to 3 months of jumping through hoops. Just keep calling them and note down every call. If they loose your documents again and again then keep emailing them what happened. Send in lawyers if it gets hopeless. It happened to my registered foundation because it received a donation payment from someone who had his account limited for trivial reasons. It also happened to a personal account because I paid for a €7000 server by PayPal. (the amount was out of the ordinary) Accounts can get frozen for many reasons, including logging in from a different IP than usual.

My accounts have been good for years now as I treat these with great care. But it was hell before.

It seems PayPal is getting bigger and bigger. Hopefully their aim for expansion will persuade or force them to change their ways. Paypal is aiming to become a brick and mortar retailers register system. That doesnt align with their abusive policies towards sellers.

A business account. I don't know what the problem is. We can an ABN and ACN, I listed the company directors and all of the other information they wanted. I even had to fill out a form explaining how the company works and what services we provide. What a joke.
wow looks like you jumped through a few hurdles there.

Last month I also opened a Paypal Australia Business account and didn't have anywhere near as much trouble as you did probably because all I had to do is supply my ABN (Australian Business Number) as I'm classed as a sole trader as opposed to company registered. I already have a Paypal Premium account though that hasn't had any issues in the past 14 years.

Maybe it's slow as technically, 13th to 19th is only 5 business days as they probably do not work weekends heh.

PayPal didn't just wake up one morning and decide to be awkward - it costs them money too, processing documents and employing staff to do so. A lot of this is driven by increasingly strict laws on money laundering and the responsibility of banking to prevent (or avoid liability for) criminality. You also have to consider that PayPal does get fraudulent applications, lots of them, so if anything doesn't look quite right, they will investigate.

That doesn't of course excuse bad service - being inept at customer service or not having properly trained staff - or enough of them - to deal with the volume of applications is awful. The main issue for me is coming up against the "corporation mentality" - also having no proper point of contact - once these big companies lock you out, it's far too difficult for genuine people to get stuff resolved.

The good news is more and more competition for PayPal. Switching to someone else is the best way to complain. Hopefully in a few years there will be enough competition out there to do so.

Just how exactly does it cost them money to freeze the accounts (read take the money) of a large number of customers? Mind that this rarely happens with empty accounts and its not accidental that limited accounts can still receive money.

If you have ever experienced the system that they setup and reviewed the experiences of others with it, then you will know that the same 'mistakes' and 'accidents' happen to most people who have their account frozen. Its not by accident that their system always asks for impossible things, asks you to choose between answers that are untrue, disconnects, sends you in a loop.
PayPal's account freezing policy is well documented and published about. Sure they get fraudulent use as much as any payment service provider, yet you do not see other banks freezing your account because you did something trivial like log in from a different location, do a larger payment than usual, etc.

Just how exactly does it cost them money to freeze the accounts (read take the money) of a large number of customers? Mind that this rarely happens with empty accounts and its not accidental that limited accounts can still receive money.

If you have ever experienced the system that they setup and reviewed the experiences of others with it, then you will know that the same 'mistakes' and 'accidents' happen to most people who have their account frozen. Its not by accident that their system always asks for impossible things, asks you to choose between answers that are untrue, disconnects, sends you in a loop.
PayPal's account freezing policy is well documented and published about. Sure they get fraudulent use as much as any payment service provider, yet you do not see other banks freezing your account because you did something trivial like log in from a different location, do a larger payment than usual, etc.

Can confirm this too. I have my normal paypal account which also got locked. It took me 12 months to get it unlocked. So much stuff I needed to do in order to verify my identity. It would have been easier for me to get a new name, change address, find a new career and start my life over. The amount of information they required was crazy.

Top Bottom