This is how vb4 should have been

dutchbb

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I just wanted to say this; this style / GUI is what I expected from vB4. There's not much bad I can say about it, it's honestly just one of the best site-designs - and no doubt the best forum design I've ever seen.

The only bad thing I can come up with, is that I'll probably need to use vB 3.8.5 for a while now, since I still need all the features it has and I won't be upgrading to 4.x even though I made the mistake of buying 3 (expensive) licenses.

If this software gets most of the important functions that I use on vB, and an importer is made to import the vB data, then I don't think I need to consider long before switching.

Great work, keep it up.

Sorry to disillusion you, but what you see here would never have been possible in vB.. too much history, too much vested interest.

The only way you get this kind of evolution is in a clean break.

The only problem I have with this is -

I do not want XenForo to be forever known as "What vB4 should have been". I feel that right now, this is how most people see it.
But I do hope that once it's released, it will have it's own following, and be able to stand on it's own, out from beneath vB's shadow.

It IS what VB4 should have been (kind of), it can't be denied as there's too many similarities in development and cosmetics. However in terms of practical use, the only similarities are that it's as joyful to use as VB3 but 100x more so. It's definitely in a class of its own already.

If history is to be believed, the VB3 team wanted to completely rewrite VB4 but that would have taken too long for their parent company. If they did rewrite it with the old team in place, although I can't prove it, I reckon we'd be seeing something similar and there wouldn't be so many of the complaints about VB4 there is right now. Obviously it wouldn't be exactly the same, as someone has said above there were expectations attached to VB that couldn't be ignored. Starting with a blank slate has kind of worked out for the best in some ways (but not my pocket!)

I think anyone who says it's what VB4 should have been is paying it a compliment. VB3 was (and still is) a pretty good forum platform for those who have forgotten.

The only problem I have with this is -

I do not want XenForo to be forever known as "What vB4 should have been". I feel that right now, this is how most people see it.
But I do hope that once it's released, it will have it's own following, and be able to stand on it's own, out from beneath vB's shadow.
I understand what you're saying however this thread is not intended that way at all. Actually, I strongly believe in the identity of this new product and it's possibilities to grow and conquer the forum software market. And I'm willing to support and contribute to it as well.

I understand what you're saying however this thread is not intended that way at all. Actually, I strongly believe in the identity of this new product and it's possibilities to grow and conquer the forum software market. And I'm willing to support and contribute to it as well.
You know we know it wasn't meant like that lol we were just saying :)

Top Bottom