1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented 'There already is a new reply. Please review your answer' / Live reply

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Vincent, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I'd do like in vBulletin that when someone has written a message, and than you post your message that you are writing, that there comes a 'Please review your reply since someone posted already.' message :)

Alfa1, DeltaHF, Onimua and 11 others like this.
  2. Rhydian

Rhydian Active Member

Sometimes it's useful other times it's just plain annoying it would defiantly need to have a on/off switch :p

3. Vincent

I think it's good for epic fails ;)

4. Greg

Greg Active Member

Now, if only we advanced to the point where as new posts are made, they just appear.

JVCode likes this.
  5. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

A mod for vB did this - LiveTopic. It works rather well. We use it on one forum. I'd like to see such functionality in XF.

Richard Skrip, dieketzer and James like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a member on a very active forum that uses LiveTopic and it really is a great add-on. I think it would fare well in something as sleek and modern as XenForo.

Alien, ---MAD--- and Richard Skrip like this.
  7. James

James Well-Known Member

Live Topic for XF definitely. This is what I've been wondering myself and (feel free to run a poll but) I can't see any user disliking the idea of a Live Topic-like feature integrated by default.

Richard Skrip likes this.
  8. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I would support this. :)

9. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

If implemented, this would have to be thought through very well. If done wrong, this could actually prevent you from replying to a really fast-moving thread, as each time you try to reply, you get the "there have been new posts" message. Of course there are workarounds for that as well. On the whole, I don't think this is necessary.

10. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Not if they just had a LiveTopic like feature instead of a message. :)

11. Sean

Sean New Member

This would reduce redundant replies to a question in an active forum wouldn't it? We have the occasional question threads where the first 2-3 replies are the answer, sometimes verbatim.

12. Vincent

Yes indeed, I had to delete a few posts of mine due to this feature :)

13. welshstew

welshstew Active Member

Maybe as a mod - I personally wouldn't want to discourage posting, even if it was duplicated.

14. Sean

Sean New Member

Then yes, I would really like this feature!
    It wouldn't discourage but give the poster the ability to see if what he/she is about to post has already been posted in the time it took them to post.

EDIT:
    I would also suggest that you only see this feature if someone has made a post in the time it took you to make your post. So it is not like this feature would be seen most of the time.

15. Nuno

Nuno Active Member

Hi,

With all these fancy things we are seeing I would like to suggest a Live Thread Reply.
    When we're typing and someone replies to the same thread, we will see their post appear just bellow to the last one.

What do you think?

gldtn, Sador, Ranmaru and 5 others like this.
  16. Vincent

I reported something like this already.

17. James

James Well-Known Member

This has been unofficially suggested a few times. Glad someone made an official thread for it.

Perhaps this'll be a modification, but it would be SO much better as core functionality.

18. Greg

Greg Active Member

This is an example of something that probably should be automatically included, but not necessarily turned on.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that we might need an option to turn it on and off not only by forum, but by thread.

But yes, I really want this... even if 'my' server might disagree.

krstep, Lawrence and Vincent like this.
  19. Nuno

Nuno Active Member

I searched for "live" in title before posting, but didn't come up with anything ... sorry!

20. Nuno

Nuno Active Member

yes ... I would prefer has a core funcionality.
    The problem with mods is that they stop being developed and we are stuck and must remove the functionality to upgrade the board :(