Lack of interest The term default style can be confusing...

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

beerForo

since stock style is named Default, and you can set a different Default. Perhaps call it Stock.

For example, in email settings

Default email style:
-Use default style
-Default style
-Custom style

So it is asking if you want to use the set default, the named Default, or your custom, as the default email template.

Kinda confusing! I mean I get it, but not everyone will.

Also for troubleshooting purposes I've been asked if I am using the default style. Semantically, yes, but no.

Just food for thought. And yeah we can rename it. :D Just a suggestion for core and new users.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
A totally uncustomised style that you have when you first install Xenforo is the default style.

So if you create some custom styles they are not the default style (although they may be based on the original default style.

When you tick a style in the list, it becomes the "default" style that people see unless they choose another from the style chooser.

However this default style doesn't have to be the default style you get when you first install xenforo.

If you tick the custom style, and then hide it from users by sliding the button, you get a message:

It is not possible to prevent users from selecting the default style. (even though it was not the default style, it was a custom style)

Still not confusing ??? (unless of course you already understand the two meanings of "default"

I really don't think it's confusing at all. There's the default style (which I rename to "XF Default"), which you get "by default" when first installing the software, and which is understandably what support will mean by "default"; but after install, the default can be any style you choose, and it will always be the default when choosing any settings until you choose another default.

I really don't think it's confusing at all. There's the default style (which I rename to "XF Default"), which you get "by default" when first installing the software, and which is understandably what support will mean by "default"; but after install, the default can be any style you choose, and it will always be the default when choosing any settings until you choose another default.

:unsure:

In other words, there's always a "default" style and the default style is always whatever is chosen as the default style - it just happens to be chosen for you on install. 🙃
Well no because once you create a custom style, you can delete the default style that was created for you. But then if you create a second custom style, you can choose one or the other to be the default style, only in this case the word default means something else.

The word in xenforo has two meanings

The standard style you get with it
Whatever style you choose for users to have (unless they choose another)

A word with two meanings is always confusing to those who are not yet initiated into the ways of those who have already understood.

For example if one my users says to me they don't like the default style, I would have to then come back with

"Do you mean the style that is called default (which isn't the default style), or the other customised style I have chosen to be the default?"

That user would then be confused.

Did you guys know:
vBulletin did allow the admin to set the registration default value for the default thread subscription method user option which did set the default value for the subscription method select menu when posting a new thread :D

It doesn't have two meanings, not really. It's always the style that is ticked as the default style in your settings. You can try very hard to twist it into something very difficult, but I really don't think 999 out of a thousand people are going to have a hard time with it.

EDIT: I should add that the exception to this rule would likely be someone who has never used Xenforo at all, and likely someone who has not used any forum software at all. But even in that case, surely few of them would have to put much time or effort into figuring it out.... :unsure:

Last edited:
The default style is not necessarily the Default style, but it can be.

Really though, it can be as confusing or as obvious as an admin wants to make it.

1562165249978.webp

If you only have one style then it doesn't matter what it's called.

if you have more than one style then presumably they all have unique names, so rename the Default style, or disable it.

EDIT: I should add that the exception to this rule would likely be someone who has never used Xenforo at all, and likely someone who has not used any forum software at all. But even in that case, surely few of them would have to put much time or effort into figuring it out.... :unsure:

Yes, I'm talking about what is confusing to a new user of xenforo, not people like you and me who have discovered the meaning(s)

Which of these styles is Default?
Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 15.50.08.png

The one named Default.

If you are asking which one is default, it's the one named small header.

Capitalisation matters.

It's only mildly confusing because someone didn't take the time to rename their styles to something a little clearer

The default style is "small header" and you still apparently got the Default style installed

I keep the default style with the name Default, as it is very clear to me that is the original style that came with xenforo.

I did take the time to rename to small header, and Burgundy. I think that is very clear.

But I think maybe this is now clearer:

Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 16.01.55.png

Until:

Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 16.03.17.png

Why not just rename the Xenforo default to, well, Xenforo default or XF default to make it more immediately identifiable to you? In any case, as I said above, the actual default style, the one your site is using by default, is always simply the one that you have chosen as the default, which is always the one ticked.

I keep the default style with the name Default, as it is very clear to me that is the original style that came with xenforo.
You can do that, but you could also just delete it if you don't use it.

You could always recreate the "Default" style by simply creating a new one and naming it "Default".

Top Bottom