The Straw That Broke The Camels Back - Leaving VB

Anthony Parsons

As a result of IB's current nonsense, have you decided to completely leave VB?

I have... whilst I can't change one current license until xenforo get a little more products available, I won't be giving a cent more to VB through license upgrades or such. On holidays at present, but quitting the alpha / beta group formerly via written notice on return home. I tried to support the company in getting good, but I can't support this level of bad behaviour on their part IMHO... so they lost another customer completely.

Has this caused you to completely break ties?

I haven't tested 4.1 for weeks now, having seen some writing on the wall; and will be joining you in leaving the test team. They can revoke my licenses or not, but I can't see much of a future with me and vB. At this time I also can't afford XF, so I'll not only miss the 24-hour sale, I'll have to wait some time to get it at all. But yeah, vB has become a dead end as far as I'm concerned. It was fun while it lasted....

I left vBulletin after the beginning of the vB4 fiasco... Which happened days before I had planned to renew a communities license.

While I still used vB3 up until around 6 months ago, I have been holding off on a better software (IPB doesn't fit my needs, WBB3 is bloated to me, and I do not like the current free software available), I was waiting mostly on the rumor of Kiers teasing on AdminAddict.

Wow. Just wow.

You think you've seen everything here...then you open up yet another thread and BAM!

Good luck with your decision :)

I just honestly think its absolutely a dispicable act on their behalf. They could have done this at any time, but they did it 24hrs out from the known release date in order to try and get prospective purchasers to rethink their purchase, ie. IMHO it was an indirect way of them outright saying... if you buy a xenforo license then you are committing copyright and more than likely going to lose your license as IB are going to destroy the company through financial means and legal paperwork.

We all know they have little scope, unless there is something hidden in the personal contracts, but I honestly don't see Kier, Mike or Ashley being that stupid to go against anything existing. The way I read it... basically IB are saying that every university should sue every successful graduate because the university gave them intellectual property in essence via their training and learning knowledge. Just ridiculous...

I was reading through the existing high court decisions on computer software, and IB have zero chance and they would know it... this is a ploy to perform financial hardship IMHO upon xenforo.

I just honestly think its absolutely a dispicable act on their behalf. They could have done this at any time, but they did it 24hrs out from the known release date in order to try and get prospective purchasers to rethink their purchase, ie. IMHO it was an indirect way of them outright saying... if you buy a xenforo license then you are committing copyright and more than likely going to lose your license as IB are going to destroy the company through financial means and legal paperwork.

We all know they have little scope, unless there is something hidden in the personal contracts, but I honestly don't see Kier, Mike or Ashley being that stupid to go against anything existing. The way I read it... basically IB are saying that every university should sue ever successful graduate because the university gave them intellectual property in essence via their training and learning knowledge. Just ridiculous...

I was reading through the existing high court decisions on computer software, and IB have zero chance and they would know it... this is a ploy to perform financial hardship IMHO upon xenforo.
I 'like' this, just so you rhetorically get two likes for that post :).

When you've driven Anthony Parsons away, you know IB screwed up bad.
I've always followed your posts with great interest Anthony and I must say I am surprised with what I've read from you today, both here and across the road.

With the likes of you dropping vB they are clearly in BIG trouble.
Ok, I don't see a link in his profile. I think I recognize the name from vB.org, but would someone mind telling me why one person's opinion is bad news for IB?

Feldon was being a little more sarcastic with that I believe... as I have supported VB through all the BS with the product, even though many have left... We all make our own decisions... but I don't believe Feldon meant anything more than a bit of humour...

Ok, I don't see a link in his profile. I think I recognize the name from vB.org, but would someone mind telling me why one person's opinion is bad news for IB?
In threads about how vBulletin and Internet Brands are screwing up, anthonyparsons has always been a tireless beacon of optimism. He's been quite defensive and supporting of vB after most of us had moved on. To see him finally pull the plug on them is a surprise. That's all.

Just that he's been very reasonable and loyal to vB despite everything, and fair play to him.

Although even more fair play for him now seeing the light. ;)

Simply put...when everyone jumped on the IB-hate bandwagon, he was one of the few that was still a strong supporter of vBulletin. It just says a lot about what IB has done to get one of their strong supporters to feel as he does now.

I'm selling my vBulletin licenses, yes, but I'm not "leaving" vBulletin, as such. If IB manages to offer up a worthy, competitive product to XenForo in the future then, yes, I will perhaps consider them again. However, the fact that vBulletin isn't likely to drop in price; reduce the number of bloated features; or focus on squashing the enormous amount of bugs anytime soon means I'm in no race to look anywhere other than XenForo for my bulletin board solutions.

Top Bottom