The server did not respond in time

Brax

Me and many of my forum members are getting this error when we try to post, preview and/or edit my forums. I've already put
Code:
$config['enableMail'] = 0;
into the config file but it's not helping. Many people are complaining of this so any help would be much appreciated.

When posting a reply? Slow email is my first guess, but you have already eliminated that possibility. Try disabling your addons to see if that fixes it. Just troubleshooting.

common problem.
I'm having a common error message.
http://xenforo.com/community/search/2808410/?q=The server did not respond in time&o=date&c[title_only]=1 [if that expires, use this]
- this is a title search to your problem.
- it is a very common error. Please review all the other solultions provided in those threads. Mention what you have tried and not tried once you have read those. This is almost never a xenforo problem, it's a server issue. We still provide free support for that as well because we love to help.

Note: this error also tends to "just go away".

Reading the posts in that search .. make sure you have an up to date Xenforo as there was a minor template bug that used to cause this.

I've done an extensive search before posting what I did. Email is disabled, all add-ons disabled and XF is up to date and templates have been minimized. I've had this issue for about a week now and it's not going away.

Any thoughts to what else can be causing this? It's starting to slow the normal number of posts on the forums and I can only assume it's because the users are tired of dealing with time-outs and double posts.

Just for clarity, this happens when creating a new post, posting a reply and/or editing a reply.

I would think so too but all that shows is the "The server didn't respond in time" overlay in the forums, even though the posts are being submitted/edited. The web server isn't showing any issue - and honestly I wouldn't think it would since the posts are being submitted/edited.

Would it matter if I already have email disabled in the config file?
I'm not really sure, but it's worth a shot?
It would be nice if we could get more info on the error itself, I understand you say there are no logs but surely if your site is throwing an error, it would show up somewhere.
Nothing in the raw server logs about it on this site at all?

BTW, I found that link through a google search.
https://www.google.com/search?q=The+server+did+not+respond+in+time,+xenforo
not sure if it helps, but it might be good to check out others who have had the same error

Setup SMTP and still no luck. It does seem like my CPU usage at the webhost is running really high. I'll investigate there. I'm really hoping xenforo isn't a resource hog like many in that link you offered are complaining about...

Setup SMTP and still no luck. It does seem like my CPU usage at the webhost is running really high. I'll investigate there. I'm really hoping xenforo isn't a resource hog like many in that link you offered are complaining about...
Xenforo is excellent on Resources.
The best by far.
Something is not setup correctly.

CPU usage at the webhost
- There is a way to get a breakdown of what is using the CPU.

That's the thing -- if it was a setup problem, you'd think I would have these problems all along, but I haven't. My forums have been running like a champ until last week. The webhost is swearing they've changed nothing. The analytics are showing some growth within the forums but not a spike that would cause such a sudden problem. I'm really at a loss and if I can't get it fixed, I'll have no choice but to jump to another forum platform, which kind of sucks considering this is a paid piece of software.

Have you checked all your core XF files? None of them have become corrupt or been changed in any way?

No add-ons installed (or removed/upgraded)?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Have you seen a jump in the number of online users?

Our vB forum hit a Tuesday several months ago where it just quit responding. Queries were backed way up. Wasn't sure what it was, but Wednesday was back to normal. Next Tuesday? Same thing! Turns out that the Baidu search bots were slamming our forum but for some reason only once a week. Blocked in the firewall!

Have you checked all your core XF files? None of them have become corrupt or been changed in any way?

No add-ons installed (or removed/upgraded)?

Cheers,
Shaun :D
I only had an invite add-on installed but I've since disabled it. Not quite sure what to check for in the core files. I've ran the 'File Health Check' and it comes back happy.

Have you seen a jump in the number of online users?

Our vB forum hit a Tuesday several months ago where it just quit responding. Queries were backed way up. Wasn't sure what it was, but Wednesday was back to normal. Next Tuesday? Same thing! Turns out that the Baidu search bots were slamming our forum but for some reason only once a week. Blocked in the firewall!
We got hit by a group of spambots but that was weeks ago and traffic immediately went back down to normal after I banned them all and reset the QA security questions. Since than I only show about 10-20 users online at any given time.

Also, of note, if you disable your email in the config file, it REALLY disables email functions -- including sending registration activation emails to new users. Not a good thing!

Top Bottom