The Importance of Mobile Performance - XF Designers Take Heed

Anthony Parsons

All XF style designers, and XF themselves for XF2.0, should take heed that Google have announced that they're splitting their index into two distinct databases -- Desktop and Mobile -- with the primary focus being upon Mobile.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com...rch-index-prioritizing-mobile-desktop/176149/

This was announced at PubCon in Vegas, and will stress test style design for all software to ensure they include Googles new baby, AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages), as an automatic rendering engine within the style, so when a mobile is calling the page, AMP is available and offered with ease if the user does not want the full page content.

Performance is everything for mobile search results. Google make no secret that the fastest pages get the highest rankings, everything else can fight amongst itself.

With a new mobile index taking priority in the coming months, AMP now means everything. Wordpress are all over this, allowing full automatic conversion already, along with additional developers adding features to the automatic versioning.

Exciting times. See where Audentio goes with all this in their theme engine!

With a new mobile index taking priority in the coming months, AMP now means everything. Wordpress are all over this, allowing full automatic conversion already, along with additional developers adding features to the automatic versioning.

I thought the WP AMP plugin still only works on blog posts, not pages so not quite full automatic conversion. I do hope xenForo do get their finger out re: SEO. I do give them a big thumbs up for the responsive design so far though, even if a bit lacking in other SEO aspects.

I do welcome Google's bias to responsive sites in general, just hope they keep it realistic.

Cut out the clutter and adverts
The adverts will come back... and several WP developers have already released additional versions that sit aside to AMP to inject ads, make some minor basic changes such as colour and put a small logo in for branding. Ads will never disappear... and it would not be in Googles best interest to punish any AMP page that serves their own ads.... that would be a massive revenue slump for Google.

I wasn't sure about AMP at first but after seeing it in use and using it myself on my device I love it. Cut out the clutter and adverts and just read the text!
I love it when I read the news. It loads lightning fast on a slow connection! :cool:

The adverts will come back... and several WP developers have already released additional versions that sit aside to AMP to inject ads, make some minor basic changes such as colour and put a small logo in for branding. Ads will never disappear... and it would not be in Googles best interest to punish any AMP page that serves their own ads.... that would be a massive revenue slump for Google.
Yeah but I think I'm right in saying that they're downsizing the ads too. You won't see big flashy banners etc.

Between AMP and Google Chrome on my device giving me the "make page mobile friendly" prompt for decluttering sites its making reading articles on the web a lot more attractive.

Yeah but I think I'm right in saying that they're downsizing the ads too. You won't see big flashy banners etc.

Between AMP and Google Chrome on my device giving me the "make page mobile friendly" prompt for decluttering sites its making reading articles on the web a lot more attractive.
People don't want flashy banners, All the want is a fast loading page on their mobile.
Keep it simple, A simple small basic ad will do.
It's all about the user experience.

its making reading articles on the web a lot more attractive
Absolutely. Love the direction considering we all use a mobile on the go nowadays.

I run adsense in my AMP pages on article style sites, and one or two adsense ads doesn't seem to make any difference... super fast, great reading experience.

I wasn't sure about AMP at first but after seeing it in use and using it myself on my device I love it. Cut out the clutter and adverts and just read the text!

I too was quite sceptical about AMP, I remember iMode being pushed in the mid 2000's and it was a complete waste of time (except in Japan).

But likewise, seeing it roll out I'm a convert.

Google has always been biased to superior UX, of which fast pageload is king. If you are Google then you probably see FB sucking up all the users time and is effectively an alternate 'www' for hundreds of millions and a major threat to your search business.

AMP is part of their strategy to push publishers along and ensure www is always moving toward a 'App' like experience. There are a lot of garbage sites out there and the open platform of www is the problem to solve - and Google is going to keep dropping from the Search index like flies those who don't keep their engineering up to scratch.

SSL & AMP are just the current chores to stay relevant, like responsive before that and m sites before that.

There is no such thing as SEO, it's been SEC for years. Search Engine Compliance.

There is no such thing as SEO, it's been SEC for years. Search Engine Compliance.
That cracks me up. I tend to say SEO is dead, as SEM is the new thing, as you have to market your site to both Google and the user, combined, to get the Google love... but SEC works too. Trademark that one. :ROFLMAO::D

so with no mobile friendy causes very bad search index from google if i understand this?
No mobile friendly website, you will be listed only in the desktop index, not both. Google know if your website is mobile friendly... they have a tool for it, which does correctly detect responsive vs. non-responsive (or mobile equivalent redirect).

Performance is a major factor for ranking in Google today. Links is still the largest factor. SSL is near necessity.

Google make no secrets about what they want to rank highly to their audience, a:
  1. secure site that their user is not putting themselves in undue risk,
  2. a fast site that loads in seconds for their user,
  3. a site that meets their interpretation of what you're searching, and
  4. the more authoritative interpretation that demonstrates good user results.
Google track a users actions on the page. They can see your entry point, your exit, time on page, how you move around the page, and the list goes on and on.

The better you meet the few top requisites for Google, the better your rankings.

Marketers like to speculate that Google can fully interpret a pages meaning. That speculation is just that, and is far from accurate. Google can partially interpret page meaning. If Google could fully interpret a pages context and meaning, we wouldn't need meta information such as titles or description. Google would not be able to be manipulated if full AI potential was present for contextual meaning, period. Google can still be manipulated, and it isn't hard to do, and every SEO is doing it.

Top Bottom