The first addon for XenForo ?

For you, Which would be the first addon for XenForo ?

• Gallery

Votes: 192 49.9%
  • Download system

Votes: 60 15.6%
  • Blog

Votes: 69 17.9%
  • CMS

Votes: 186 48.3%
  • Other, please comments

Votes: 36 9.4%

• Total voters
...and if it was to added, it would only bloat the software even thought it's still an add-on.

Could not possibly disagree more, as (IMO, YMMV) the Gallery, and CMS (I'm ambivalent about blogs given how much it can fragment your community's interaction) NEED deep integration with the forum system to attain their potential. Treating these things as a "tack it on later" solution is selling them, and the communities that rely on them short.

I totally respect that you have a completely different opinion though. :)

I would ask that we all try to keep in mind that different communities DO have different needs, just because someone else feels differently, doesn't make their opinion wrong, or foolish, or unprofessional. It just means that they, and their community, have different priorities. :)

and if designed well, turning 'off' the features you dont use eliminates all traces of it on your install and gives you zero bloatness.

A gallery for me. I have car forums and everyone likes to show off their cars. Then some kind of CMS for the home page.

Amen. Without Albums, CMS and deeply integrated Blogs, our company/foundation is unable to switch to XenForo. But... I am patient ('All good things to those who wait' (tm Kier Darby), right? ;))

+1
and an import from many other forum systems.

Gallery.... At least some way to get the vb3 Albums pictures accessible in the short term, anything basic will work (until later).

Kind of pointless to speculate until the software goes into Beta status and we have a better idea as to what will be included, as well as what the developers have in mind as far as what will be eventually included as the software is expanded.

16,000 + user images that our members love to search (we use custom fields in photoplog so the images ARE searchable) and Google loves to send traffic to... Well that's a much bigger issue ;).

James, which gallery do you use?

Other - as in, the mods I made for extra profile field pages and showing them in profiles / posts :)

I would like to see many of those addons, but I'll vote for gallery. For any modern social community galleries are a must imo. But i'd also like to see integration with wordpress, as I am starting a blog hosting site and would like to run xenforo as the forum software once it's release.

James, which gallery do you use?

Photoplog. Best Gallery mod for vB, esp after we had finished doing a LOT of custom integration to basically tie the forums into the galleries so commenting on a picture spawns a thread in tha associated forum with all the images in the image set shown at the top. We also have a "Notes" system like flicker where you can select a section of a given image and it'll create a post that shows that part of the image as a thumb at the start of the post.

See: http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/ikea...ain-wire-assembly-instructions-annotated.html for an example of how the "Notes" section works :).

I like what you did to integrate the gallery. Can you please show me an example of a photo that has a comment and the associated thread that was created? thanks.

Sure. All threads spawned from image sets start with a text string for that particular forum that I specify when setting up the association between the gallery and the forum. So for instance all Kitchen Planning threads created from Kitchen planning photos start with:

IKEA Kitchen Photo:

Then it appends whatever the imageset name was. This provides great SEO for the thread title which is great since most members don't even think of things like that ;).

Here's an example with a note on it.
http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/kitc...hed-stat-kitchen-2.html?setorder=7#post165537
If you look at the thumbs up at the top, you'll see that image 7 has 1 note. Click the thumb and it'll make that the big image and show you any notes associated, you can hover on the note to see where it is in the image, and click on it to be tacken to the post that goes with that note. The image sections for the notes is actually resizeable, but almost nobody thinks to drag the box out as other systems give you a fixed box size. The notes system is something we really should be pushing harder as it's a fantastic system, just to many balls in the air to completely finish all the tutorials etc. :)

Top Bottom