XF 2.1 The files are owned by a different user

crafter2345

The following issue was found when determining if a one-click upgrade is possible: The files are owned by a different user than the upgrade is running as.
The old threads didnt help me. I'd installed php and xenforo with the root user and I gave the whole xenforo part 777 perms.

With Apache it will typically be a user id called "nobody" or "apache". But... if you're using something like Cpanel, it would the file owner name of the cpanel user.

Yes, that's the command.

Honestly, all the questions you asked after my first reply tell me you should not be using a live server as root. Its clear you lack the basic skill set needed to use a server as root. If not, I foresee a security breach of your server in your future.

I am not trying to be mean, but someone needs to tell you, to save you headaches later from a server getting hacked.

Use a cheap Linux VPS at Digital Ocean, Linode, etc. to learn the basics. Or with a server not connected to the Internet. But whatever you do, don't learn this extremely basic stuff on a server with a live site.

I wish all you the best.

The files are owned by a different user than the upgrade is running as.
I only changed the www folder to the new user "apache" I created and then I gave 777 perms. But why the error message is still there?

@crafter2345 Hi, i facing the same problem. what do you mean www-data user?
its follow database user or the web folder user? i have tried to add everyone or administrator user both not working T.T hoping help
It's the account on the server that owns the folders.

This is something that must be done on the server, not in Xenforo, using the chown command (for 'nix Apache servers). Put in a request to tech support for your host to do this.

Top Bottom