The demise of Reddit is happening right now. Thoughts?

It's a weird dynamic where someone can support freedom of speech, and then complain that someone practices their freedom of speech.
Very good point, although I think freedom of speech is more relevant government than it is to a forum, but still a good point.

Very good point, although I think freedom of speech is more relevant government than it is to a forum, but still a good point.
🤷‍♂️ they brought up freedom of speech, and generally Reddit is very open to most conversations as long as it does not go against TOS or individual reddit rules.

It just always irks me where someone can be pro free speech, but also have an issue with people using their free speech.

This isn't the first time a company has changed its current policy. A little early to talk about the end of Reddit. That social networks in general are heading towards a decline, this is a belief that has been buzzing in my head for quite a while. Not a thing limited to Reddit.
Protests are useless. If you don't like Reddit's politics, build another Reddit.

Discussion of politics were people going off topic for some unknown reason.

The reason for blackouts is because the API changes Huffman is attempting to push are factors of magnitude more than any other platform (to the tune that more popular 3rd party apps will be paying $2m/year or more), and that he has repeatedly lied about interactions or overtures made to these developers.

What is likely going to happen is that Huffman will be removed from the CEO position, and the API changes will be walked back or made more palatable. The sad thing is... Most of the developers in questions are not against paying API fees. TheVerge has some good coverage on everything so far (surprising, as they've been fairly terrible for news for a while).

🙃 wow this thread has gone off the rails.

https://edib.harvard.edu/heritage-months

These are the heritage months that are usually nationally recognized and celebrated; there is also months for Irish-American and Italian-American, so there is some representation for of white ancestry 🙃.

May is also National Military Appreciation Month (https://www.ausa.org/texas-capital-...may-2023-national-military-appreciation-month), a lot of other days: https://www.operationwearehere.com/significantdaysobservances.html

This weird argument that "Advocacy is not needed in Animal Crossing Reddit!"... Does it really matter where people advocate for themselves if it harms no one? It's a weird dynamic where someone can support freedom of speech, and then complain that someone practices their freedom of speech. If a subreddit allows certain discussions (and some have rules against politics or political adjacent discussions, such as /r/Disney, however they've been more lenient with recent issues), what does it matter to anyone who doesn't want to read it. That's the amazing thing about 3rd party plugins or apps, they have actual good filter tools so you can filter content or people you don't want to see much better (and way better than ignoring on XenForo).
You completely missed the point. When do you see Reddit forcing down people’s throats those other holidays? That’s exactly the issue here - big-tech throws out these banners as they see fit and force it on others, which gets super annoying in itself, let alone when it has literally nothing to do with the discussion topic of said subreddit, board, platform ect.

As I said earlier, I’m all for honoring whatever under the sun… but think it should be done when appropriate. The way Reddit and other sites have done BLM and now doing LGBQT ect. Is just tacky and probably does more harm than good to the Pride month community.

When do you see Reddit forcing down people’s throats those other holidays?
Do you have an example of forcing things down people’s throats?

And surely it makes more sense to finally give certain minorities something after they have had a pretty tough time of and suffered discrimination because of who they are?

Maybe it’s too much to hope that people will recognise that being woke us a step forward towards us all being more civilised and inclusive.

You completely missed the point. When do you see Reddit forcing down people’s throats those other holidays? That’s exactly the issue here - big-tech throws out these banners as they see fit and force it on others, which gets super annoying in itself, let alone when it has literally nothing to do with the discussion topic of said subreddit, board, platform ect.

As I said earlier, I’m all for honoring whatever under the sun… but think it should be done when appropriate. The way Reddit and other sites have done BLM and now doing LGBQT ect. Is just tacky and probably does more harm than good to the Pride month community.
And none of this ideology or advocacy discussion should have really been brought up as it had nothing to do with the current issues at Reddit. In fact, none of the points anyone has really said on either side has mattered to the main topic and has been pointless and just shows where people align themselves on topics 🤷‍♂️.

I also debunked misinformation in your posts and ignored most of every other stupid post here as I do not like getting into stupid arguments about opinions on societal changes.

The irony is that this topic only went off topic because someone brought up what they themselves do not like seeing, and people ran with it.

Do you have an example of forcing things down people’s throats?

And surely it makes more sense to finally give certain minorities something after they have had a pretty tough time of and suffered discrimination because of who they are?

Maybe it’s too much to hope that people will recognise that being woke us a step forward towards us all being more civilised and inclusive.
I guess I was using that Animal Crossing Board as an example. People don’t visit subreddits like that to try and discuss what the sexual preference is, or gender of others. They visit it to focus on Animal Crossing. This was just one of the thousands of examples when it comes to this stuff. Imo it’s not appropriate whatsoever and does more harm than good.

You can look at the Bud Light fiasco as another example. People that drink that beer could care less who or what your gender is. They gather together to enjoy the beer. Meanwhile, because of someone thinking their clients care about this stuff… the stock is now down -28%

I just think this stuff does no good for the Price month community, and it’s better to leave these labels or branding in places where it’s appropriate. At the end of the day, labeling one another itself in this day and age is… not solving the issues. It’s actually taking steps backwards. Love who you are, and surround yourself with others who do the same. Virtually or in person. But don’t expect this stuff to be appropriate in places of discussion that have nothing to do with LGBQT+

That’s why old-school properly moderated and ran forums could easily persevere and succeed over big-tech with this. Keep it mature, non-politically inflicted, friendly, and professional.

And none of this ideology or advocacy discussion should have really been brought up as it had nothing to do with the current issues at Reddit. In fact, none of the points anyone has really said on either side has mattered to the main topic and has been pointless and just shows where people align themselves on topics 🤷‍♂️.

I also debunked misinformation in your posts and ignored most of every other stupid post here as I do not like getting into stupid arguments about opinions on societal changes.

The irony is that this topic only went off topic because someone brought up what they themselves do not like seeing, and people ran with it.
I agree. None of this stuff should be brought up in the first place, and that’s the exact issue here! People expect to blast banners around in places it has no place in being - and then they get upset if someone tries to discuss it. This is PRECISELY why I believe big-tech is frustrating a lot of users and why this stuff could be handled in a much better way when it comes to forums.

Freedom of speech!

No, not yours, mine.
Again, missing it. Majority of people could literally care less on a board about Toyotas - whether or not the owner is a LGBQT+ supporter. 🤦🏼‍♂️ we care that he’s a good fella to communicate with, and he’s running a fair\great outlet of communication when it comes to finding advice of our Toyota vehicle. That is all.

Sexual identities and gender identities literally have nothing to do with what people are seeking in places like this. On a subject of discussion like that (Toyota), I could care less what gender the poster above me is… I look at everyone in the same fair way. So this stuff isnt appropriate. That’s the point here…

Again, missing it. Majority of people could literally care less on a board about Toyotas - whether or not the owner is a LGBQT+ supporter. 🤦🏼‍♂️ we care that he’s a good fella to communicate with, and he’s running a fair\great outlet of communication when it comes to finding advice of our Toyota vehicle. That is all.

Sexual identities and gender identities literally have nothing to do with what people are seeking in places like this. On a subject of discussion like that (Toyota), I could care less what gender the poster above me is… I look at everyone in the same fair way. So this stuff isnt appropriate. That’s the point here…
None of this was brought up before you and @PatriotGB brought it up. You guys have somehow turned this from being a discussion about current events by an idiot CEO that could have been avoided easily, to somehow being about unrelated subjects that you seemingly have personal issues with, whether you say you do or not.

The only reason the subject is ongoing is because you have yet to drop it. Obviously if you're going to keep talking about it and decrying your issues with it, you will get push back, because that is how public conversations work.

Sorry man, I originally was just trying to convey why people in masses are beginning to get ticked off with this stuff. And how “woke” or “unwoke” should really have no place in a community that we want to succeed and draw from Reddit. Big tech and Reddit is failing in this regard - so that’s why I brought it up. Naturally it was argued which is then why I went into great detail here. That also kind of proved my point because everyone here including myself could care less about discussing this stuff here at a place like XenForo. So what makes you think people want to discuss sexual preferences over at subreddit boards like Animal Crossing, Toyota ect. ?

Your frustration is literally the point here lol.
(There is a reason why XenForo itself as a company decided to not change their banner this month for Pride month). Has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting a minority. Somehow you’re not understanding that and making assumptions even tho I have said numerous times now that I could careless if someone is LGBQT… just keep it appropriate.

Last edited:
Sorry man, I originally was just trying to convey why people in masses are beginning to get ticked off with this stuff. And how “woke” or “unwoke” should really have no place in a community that we want to succeed and draw from Reddit. Big tech and Reddit is failing in this regard - so that’s why I brought it up. Naturally it was argued which is then why I went into great detail here. That also kind of proved my point because everyone here including myself could care less about discussing this stuff here at a place like XenForo. So what makes you think people want to discuss sexual preferences over at subreddit boards like Animal Crossing, Toyota ect. ?

Your frustration is literally the point here lol.
(There is a reason why XenForo itself as a company decided to not change their banner this month for Pride month). Has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting a minority. Somehow you’re not understanding that and making assumptions even tho I have said numerous times now that I could careless if someone is LGBQT…
🙃 you need therapy, that's about all I can say at this point.

So first you make an assumption claim towards me, and now you’re telling me that I need therapy? Childish.

How is this wrong to bring this stuff up? As this is an area we could learn from in the private forum community. Like what the heck man. I’m baffled how you guys are not understanding this… and now I need therapy.

Leave the insults and assumptions out of the discussion, over the years I have seen you treat people like crap around here on more fingers than I can count. It’s not welcomed here.

None of this was brought up before you and @PatriotGB brought it up. You guys have somehow turned this from being a discussion about current events by an idiot CEO that could have been avoided easily, to somehow being about unrelated subjects that you seemingly have personal issues with, whether you say you do or not.

Ummm... I only brought up the advantage of having a private forum over a group hosted by "big tech," as it pertains to not having to comply or conform with "wokeism" (define or redefine that however you wish) and censorship based on the moving goalposts of wokeism or politically shifting winds... or even business interests of the "Big Tech" host. They can pull the rug out from under you at any time, and there's not a thing you can do about it. In my experience Facebook is the most egregious when it comes to that.

I should also point out that I did not engage any further in the discussion which went off on a tangent. :cool:

Last edited:
people in masses are beginning to get ticked off with this stuff.
Yeah Right Judging You GIF

There's plenty of examples out there of facebook groups forcing the issue @Mr Lucky

I'm involved with one group that is so particular that you have to go by their rules.

Old Fashioned Cooking Recipes will give you some awesome recipes that your nan or pop or mum and dad used to make for you.

They won't allow you to post links, gifs and memes, videos, names of other cookbooks, and they want you to be polite as in using your manners.
Some people don't care and will post up things and forget most rules.
But you really need to just see what they come up with.

If it was a forum you'd have more control on what you can post up.
But as it's a group you have 5 sets of rules including your own to go by.

Sorry man, I originally was just trying to convey why people in masses are beginning to get ticked off with this stuff.
People are getting ticked off because they are being asked quite rightly to take a look outside of their comfort zone at minority views.

And how “woke” or “unwoke” should really have no place in a community that we want to succeed and draw from Reddit.
I'm not quite sure about the Reddit aspect but it's imperative all communities listen to minority views no matter what the niche. The alternative is for minorities to remain misunderstood and subject to persecution.

Think of it like a pendulum. For an eternity the pendulum has been stuck in favor of the majority. It's now moving to and even passing equilibrium because minority voices are now allowed to be heard and ultimately, that's the only way you'll achieve balance. There will be no changes if you sit quietly in the back seats of the bus.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just a couple public examples of where bigtech/companies are doing more harm than good to the Pride community, when it comes to not being appropriate. As I said from the get go, I was just trying to provide examples of why this could be something that can be learned from and pursued differently as people begin to look for other outlets to be part of. (Especially as Reddit is on a downhill trend). That was all!

I could go on to Reddit and look for the weather community.
You go on there and all they do is bicker about which town is warmer.

I could go on to Reddit and look for the cats community.
Have the same issue where some people will say that your own cat is ugly and that their cat is cute.

I could go onto Reddit and look for the farts community.
But the amount of people you see telling you that farts are foul is what puts you off. Some of those will tell you how much they like to smell their own.

So really reddit is just an over moderated social media platform.

I then put these 3 topics on my forum.

People who are members tell you off for talking about farting.
People complain about how many cat pics you post up
People complain about the weather.

You then have all the Reddit members that have Karen syndrome on your forum. All causing more work for you to handle.

You might use Reddit for things such as baking some foods people like.

It comes across ok but has rules that go against the initial rules that Reddit have posted up.

This is where it becomes tricky.

Think of Reddit as you do any sub forum you use such as Proboards.

You have your own rules but they have stronger rules which makes it harder to keep your forum up.
So i suggest that you use software like Xenforo to discuss everything properly with only your rules to worry about.

Top Bottom