The Adventure Begins ....

gajinoz

I've just bought XF and downloaded the software. Hopefully very soon the hosting guys will have my server set up and I can get started on the installation.

I'm probably going to annoy everyone with lots of questions ..... :)

I've just bought XF and downloaded the software. Hopefully very soon the hosting guys will have my server set up and I can get started on the installation.

I'm probably going to annoy everyone with lots of questions ..... :)

Cool! Make sure you associate your forum username with your licensd here in order to post in the licensed support forums and download resources - http://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users

Thank you, I certainly will. At the moment I'm coming to grips with the permissions system, I think I've mostly got a grip on it and I'm experimenting with primary and secondary user groups and working out how to stop them seeing some forums while still being allowed to see others. I'll get there eventually.

One question I do have for now though, how do I set the default font for the editor? Is there a global setting or something in the users individual settings that can do this?

Support questions must be posted in the relevant forum as it won't be provided in the public forums.

Things are looking pretty positive, I've had a bunch of people from my main forum (vBulletin) playing around on the test Xenforo site. The one big thing that most have commented on is that it is WAY faster than vB. Some of this is no doubt because there is virtually no load on it but it is running on the same server as my main forum so it's looking good in that respect.

I'm still working out things in the AdminCP but, apart from the way it looks and a few different names for the same things, it's not wildly different from vB.
It does have some nice features that I like including some core functions that are addons in vB. The one big disappointment, for me anyway, is that there is no built in calendar. This is an important feature for my site and I will need to do something about that before I can move over. I know there are a couple of addon ones here but the one I really liked the look of cannot have entries directly added to the calendar, they must come via a thread. Possibly I can work around that but it's a bit of a bummer.

OK, sorry for the diatribe, mostly thinking to myself here. :)

Calendar aside (I have no use for it - but there is a bunch of add-ons that you could use) I think one of the biggest changes are the permissions. A steet learning curve, but for better.

Last edited:
I'm getting a pretty good handle on it now. Installed a calendar addon I found and that seems to work pretty well.

Top Bottom