[TH] XenBlog [Deleted]

Why do I get the no permission error as guest then? Obviously you are not doing it right.
Well, I am trying. All I know is that I am trying and the permissions (where I see them) have been changed. I'm sorry to frustrate you so much. Wish I was as perfect.

I give up I guess. If anyone on here knows what I'm doing wrong and wants to help me out, please let me know. I guess I'll pay to get this fixed.

Hi @borbole

We have finally deployed this! :)

I have a couple of requests for pagination.

We have several hundred blogs for each user. So when I click on the blogs tab on a member's profile, it fetches all of the blogs which takes a very long time. Can we have pagination for the blogs tab on member profile please.

Second, and this is for the admin function "Manage Blogs", again this loads ALL of the blogs. Since we have several thousand, this ends up in server error. Could we have pagination there as well. ~ Thanks

Hi @borbole

We have finally deployed this! :)

I have a couple of requests for pagination.

We have several hundred blogs for each user. So when I click on the blogs tab on a member's profile, it fetches all of the blogs which takes a very long time. Can we have pagination for the blogs tab on member profile please.

Second, and this is for the admin function "Manage Blogs", again this loads ALL of the blogs. Since we have several thousand, this ends up in server error. Could we have pagination there as well. ~ Thanks

Yes, of course. I will try to add them a.s.a.p.

Would like to take a look - happy to share the URL?

Did you migrate/import from another XF add-on?

Can't share the url yet... Still the entire site is WIP. It was a community on a custom coded solution which are migrating to xenforo.

Hi @borbole

I disabled _preSave and _postSave functions of the blog datawriter during import. Now I want to rebuild the entire blogs cache but I don't see an option to rebuild blog cache.

Last edited:
Hi @borbole

I disabled _preSave and _postSave functions of the blog datawriter during import. Now I want to rebuild the entire blogs cache but I don't see an option to rebuild blog cache.

Hi Sadik. There is no option to rebuild blogs cache in the current version.

Hi Sadik. There is no option to rebuild blogs cache in the current version.

Hi Borbole,

So I have imported a "large" number of blogs from the earlier custom solution we had.

After import the blogs index does not load resulting in 503 error. I expected that to happen and wrote an addon extending the displayAllActiveBlogs method to only fetch blogs created in the last X days.

However I was surprised that the index still did not load. So I started digging in and noticed that every blog that is added you add to the data registry and preload the blogs data registry upon entering the blogs. Why is this? I could be wrong in this, and will be happy to be corrected since the data registry is something I haven't earlier looked into in much detail. But it looks to me that you are adding every blog to the data registry and preloading it. That will surely not work for any site which has several thousand plus blogs.

OK, so I have done two things and everything is working as intended.

One, I extended the blogs model and basically overwrote the rebuildBlogsCache method to return an empty array.

PHP:
public function rebuildBlogsCache()
    {
        return array();
    }

Two, as mentioned earlier, I added an admin option and a new condition to only fetch blogs from last X days.

So things are working now and I am happy to proceed... :) But I would still be interested to know why you were pushing all the blogs into the data registry?

Cheers!

To rebuild the blog cache. But it was added in the previous version, when it was for admins only. I will remove it in the upcoming version. May I ask how many blogs do you have?

Before possibly buying, I'm trying to wrap my head around two common user experiences - i) seeing all the blog entries for a person, and ii) understanding that a blog is not a container with entries but that a blog is itself a entry (counter intutive from all other blogs systems)

Using Better Blogs, users create a blog for themselves and create entries within their blog assigning categories/tags to their entry. The basis premise/experience is around a user has a blog and they create multiple entries within that blog.
With Xen Blogs, users create entries and assign categories to their entry. The base premise/experience is around entries within a category.

It seems with Xen Blogs that I cannot easily/intuitively see entries all entries for a user. When I'm at http://aktoretshqiptare.eu/index.php?blogs/ all hyperlinks for a user take me to their member card. From the member card I can click on "Blogs: xx" but when I'm already within blogs that's not logical as to where I would find it and an extra step than would be expected.

How are other site owners that have Xen Blogs finding their users experience with it, and their understanding that the a blog is really an entry, and not the traditional/common understanding that a blog is a 'container' holding many entries.?

To rebuild the blog cache. But it was added in the previous version, when it was for admins only. I will remove it in the upcoming version. May I ask how many blogs do you have?

Well, it's actually a client site. There are 2.6 million users, 4 million media images in gallery and now, wait for it, 15 million blog entries! :)

Before possibly buying, I'm trying to wrap my head around two common user experiences - i) seeing all the blog entries for a person, and ii) understanding that a blog is not a container with entries but that a blog is itself a entry (counter intutive from all other blogs systems)

Using Better Blogs, users create a blog for themselves and create entries within their blog assigning categories/tags to their entry. The basis premise/experience is around a user has a blog and they create multiple entries within that blog.
With Xen Blogs, users create entries and assign categories to their entry. The base premise/experience is around entries within a category.

It seems with Xen Blogs that I cannot easily/intuitively see entries all entries for a user. When I'm at http://aktoretshqiptare.eu/index.php?blogs/ all hyperlinks for a user take me to their member card. From the member card I can click on "Blogs: xx" but when I'm already within blogs that's not logical as to where I would find it and an extra step than would be expected.

How are other site owners that have Xen Blogs finding their users experience with it, and their understanding that the a blog is really an entry, and not the traditional/common understanding that a blog is a 'container' holding many entries.?

There is a Blogs tab on the member's profile which lists all the blog entries a user has posted.

Untitled-2.webp

Also the url from where these blogs are shown on the member's profile page is members/<id>/blogs. If you wanted you could create a new link to that page and possibly resdesign the template to make it look like a blogs entries page.

This Blogs addon is well made. Yes, there are some missing functionalities from a traditional blogs system and yes somethings could be done better, but the point is there is really no alternative at the moment and since this addon's architecture and foundation is well made, it is easy to add things you may want.

Last edited:
How do you update the blog? Do I have to download the new update file from somewhere and then I upload it to my forum? Sorry for the question but I'm still getting around this blog thing here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom