[TH] Topics [Deleted]

Thanks, Jon. I think that would be a good addition. Better than having users bang their heads wondering why an option that's supposed to disable something doesn't actually disable it.

And I'd prefer to disable it for two reasons: one, I already have New Threads appearing by default when users click the What's New link, requiring only one click; and two, because I couldn't get the Topics widget to appear there anyway - it wouldn't appear in any position for New Threads, making it doubly useless. (Also couldn't get it to appear in any position on forum view either, and maybe one or two others positions I can't remember offhand. I went through all the positions repeatedly, trying out each one and even disabling other addon's.)

Thanks again.
Forum view should be the only exception as that is the only position where it only works if you have thread topics enabled (i.e. it won't work with node topics).

If you are having trouble with any other positions, please create a ticket as that shouldn't be happening.

Not sure if this is why, but the widget positions called "Forum New Threads" are for when New Threads is set as the forum homepage, and the ones without the "Forum" prefix are for the normal New Threads page. This is the same for New Posts.

Forum view should be the only exception as that is the only position where it only works if you have thread topics enabled (i.e. it won't work with node topics).

If you are having trouble with any other positions, please create a ticket as that shouldn't be happening.

Not sure if this is why, but the widget positions called "Forum New Threads" are for when New Threads is set as the forum homepage, and the ones without the "Forum" prefix are for the normal New Threads page. This is the same for New Posts.

I enabled them all, singly and together, and it was still a no-show on New Threads under What's New. You can see here where it's trying to display on the sidebar: it pushes the Post Thread button all the way to the right of the page, but underneath is just blank space....

Gj5Et8c.png

I suppose it makes sense with the forum view positions, I was mostly just checking to see if it worked.

Also, is there a way to display more threads with your New threads implementation? I'm assuming it can be done with a template edit? If not, that would be another reason I would want to stick to using the New threads widget. (Which I also tried disabling, thinking it might somehow be affecting your New threads display, but it made no difference.)

Last edited:
I enabled them all, singly and together, and it was still a no-show on New Threads under What's New. You can see here where it's trying to display on the sidebar: it pushes the Post Thread button all the way to the right of the page, but underneath is just blank space....

Gj5Et8c.png

I suppose it makes sense with the forum view positions, I was mostly just checking to see if it worked.

Also, is there a way to display more threads with your New threads implementation? I'm assuming it can be done with a template edit? If not, that would be another reason I would want to stick to using the New threads widget. (Which I also tried disabling, thinking it might somehow be affecting your New threads display, but it made no difference.)
The filter bar appears to be missing. Do you have another add-on or a template change/modification that removes this?

It should look like this:

Can't think of anything, but I guess I can try disabling all my other addon's. Whatever it is is only affecting New Threads, because it displays just fine on New Posts. Thanks

Can't think of anything, but I guess I can try disabling all my other addon's. Whatever it is is only affecting New Threads, because it displays just fine on New Posts. Thanks
What version of XenForo are you running?

What version of XenForo are you running?
Okay, sorry for the run around, I should have been checking the error log instead of being so focused elsewhere. I found the culprit. It's a conflict with Stuart Wright's addon here:

Hopefully you guys can touch base on whatever the problem is. Here's some errors generated:

• LogicException: Macro public:whats_new_posts :: filter_bar() error: Macro argument threadPrefixes is required and no value was provided
  • src/XF/Template/Templater.php:769
Stack trace

#0 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s48/public/whats_new_posts.php(48): XF\Template\Templater->mergeMacroArguments(Array, Array, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(663): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(KL\UserImprovements\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s48/public/thtopics_whats_new_threads.php(100): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('whats_new_posts', 'filter_bar', Array, Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1250): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(KL\UserImprovements\Template\Templater), Array)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('thtopics_whats_...', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(332): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('ThemeHouse\\Topi...', 'public:thtopics...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(303): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(44): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#9 src/XF/App.php(1931): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#10 src/XF.php(329): XF\App->run()
#11 index.php(13): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#12 {main}

Request state
array(4) {
["url"] => string(25) "/whats-new/threads/23930/"
["referrer"] => string(32) "https:....whats-new/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

As soon as I disable that addon, your widget appears on New Threads.

One other thing I've noticed, though, is that with Topics enabled New Threads don't display the forum/node they were posted in. They do where I have New Thread widgets on sidebars, but not in What's New or on my homepage, where I use the New Threads widget to display them on the page. As soon as I disable Topics, they reappear. Is this normal?

Last edited:
One other thing I've noticed, though, is that with Topics enabled New Threads don't display the forum/node they were posted in. They do where I have New Thread widgets on sidebars, but not in What's New or on my homepage, where I use the New Threads widget to display them on the page. As soon as I disable Topics, they reappear. Is this normal?
This is intended as the idea is that it shows the topics instead of the forum. I guess this is something we could add an option/style property in for though if there isn't already (which I don't think there is).

This is intended as the idea is that it shows the topics instead of the forum. I guess this is something we could add an option/style property in for though if there isn't already (which I don't think there is).
Right, if the intention of using Node Topics is to allow forum owners to keep their current forum structure, that would seem to make sense. Thanks

Right, if the intention of using Node Topics is to allow forum owners to keep their current forum structure, that would seem to make sense. Thanks
Ah yes, it probably shouldn't disable it if you have Thread Topics disabled. I think that's a bug then.

Anyone experienced the issue that Topics Add-on slow down the forum yet? With my forum, whenever I enable Topics, it's freaking slow. To post just a simple message takes 6-7 seconds to load. However, when I disable Topics, it's lighting fast.

Is it a server issue or coding issue?

Anyone experienced the issue that Topics Add-on slow down the forum yet? With my forum, whenever I enable Topics, it's freaking slow. To post just a simple message takes 6-7 seconds to load. However, when I disable Topics, it's lighting fast.

Is it a server issue or coding issue?
We've installed it on a few big boards with no issues reported yet. If you want to make a ticket we can maybe do a deeper look.

Do you have plan to release widget that display posts belong to A topic or MULTIPLE topics? That'd be useful.
Great suggestion. We're definitely hoping to add lots more features to this add-on, so I'll add that to our list.

@Jon W
Any plans to create some more in depth instructional videos for the addon? Because a major stumbling block for me when it comes to using the thread topics is that it seems to be necessary to apply a visible first topic to all the threads in a node in order to keep them from being moved. I used the batch tool to create topics for all of my forums, but then found that if I tried to apply one of those topics to threads in a node it would move the threads to the node with the same name. So apparently any topics created like that can only be applied as secondary topics if you don't want your threads moved. So to make sure that doesn't happen you can create a topic yourself and apply it to that same node, and then apply any additional one(s) you want, but then you're always stuck with at least two topics on those threads, one of which is redundant/superfluous (at least in my experience). If I'm making any sense. The bottom line is I need the dummie's guide! :)

Also, after using the batch tool to apply topics to all forums, I can't create threads in a lot of nodes after disabling the thread topics system. I get an error that I have to choose a topic. After uninstalling and reinstalling the addon a couple times I can confirm that this only occurs after using Tools to apply topics to all forums. In other words, if I install the addon but don't apply topics to all forums, I can enable and disable the threads topics system without encountering this error. Bug?

I'm having this issue, whenever I click to 2nd or 3rd ... page in a sub-forum. Please have a check.

Code:
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/Topics/Repository/Topic.php at line 138

XF::handlePhpError() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/Topics/Repository/Topic.php at line 138
    ThemeHouse\Topics\Repository\Topic->hydrateTopicsForThreads() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/Topics/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php at line 181
    ThemeHouse\Topics\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->actionForum() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 249
    XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 88
    XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 41
    XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1934
    XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 333
    XF::runApp() in index.php at line 13

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 11.30.16 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 11.30.16 PM.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 4
@Jon W
Any plans to create some more in depth instructional videos for the addon? Because a major stumbling block for me when it comes to using the thread topics is that it seems to be necessary to apply a visible first topic to all the threads in a node in order to keep them from being moved. I used the batch tool to create topics for all of my forums, but then found that if I tried to apply one of those topics to threads in a node it would move the threads to the node with the same name. So apparently any topics created like that can only be applied as secondary topics if you don't want your threads moved. So to make sure that doesn't happen you can create a topic yourself and apply it to that same node, and then apply any additional one(s) you want, but then you're always stuck with at least two topics on those threads, one of which is redundant/superfluous (at least in my experience). If I'm making any sense. The bottom line is I need the dummie's guide! :)

Also, after using the batch tool to apply topics to all forums, I can't create threads in a lot of nodes after disabling the thread topics system. I get an error that I have to choose a topic. After uninstalling and reinstalling the addon a couple times I can confirm that this only occurs after using Tools to apply topics to all forums. In other words, if I install the addon but don't apply topics to all forums, I can enable and disable the threads topics system without encountering this error. Bug?
I would say the issue experienced when using the batch tool would be a bug but I'll go ahead and report it on our issue tracker so that it is recorded. What is the error that you experience exactly?
I'm having this issue, whenever I click to 2nd or 3rd ... page in a sub-forum. Please have a check.

Code:
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/Topics/Repository/Topic.php at line 138

XF::handlePhpError() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/Topics/Repository/Topic.php at line 138
    ThemeHouse\Topics\Repository\Topic->hydrateTopicsForThreads() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/Topics/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php at line 181
    ThemeHouse\Topics\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->actionForum() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 249
    XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 88
    XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 41
    XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1934
    XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 333
    XF::runApp() in index.php at line 13
I've went ahead and reported this on our issue tracker! :) We'll take a closer look into it.

Top Bottom