[TH] Topics [Deleted]

ThemeHouse

ThemeHouse submitted a new resource:

[TH] Topics - An efficient way for users to explore and label content

title-topics.png

Topics

Currently, forums are limited in how they can manage...

Read more about this resource...

Would this allow threads created in 'Forum 1', to be labelled with a topic called 'Forum 2', and then be viewable in both forums, but both linking to the one canonical thread?

Hi, is there an admin side demo for this?
Tagging @Jake B. to see if this is in our XF2 demo. Ultimately yes we have a private admin demo you can use to play. :)
Would this allow threads created in 'Forum 1', to be labelled with a topic called 'Forum 2', and then be viewable in both forums, but both linking to the one canonical thread?
This does not duplicate content in any way, nor does it move the thread. If you use the topics experience, with an All Threads, New Posts, Trending page, then you can discover the thread in multiple ways, but the thread still exists in the primary node. If I have a thread called "What sport is better: cricket or football?" I can add Topics for 'cricket' and 'football' and will show up when people have those filters enable. As opposed to that thread only being discovered in one node or the other.

The main claim to fame here is that USERS do not need to use nodes to find what they need at all, that idea we are claiming is becoming unnatural.

@Mike Creuzer
What do you suggest be done about users not being able to mark forums as read with the addon enabled? I want to try playing with this some more, to see if I can find some practical way to make it work for me, but every time I've enabled it in the past I've immediately got complaints from users about that. Do you suggest just telling users to get used to not being able to mark forums read? That's not meant to be sarcastic, by the way, I really want your feedback. ;)

@Mike Creuzer
What do you suggest be done about users not being able to mark forums as read with the addon enabled? I want to try playing with this some more, to see if I can find some practical way to make it work for me, but every time I've enabled it in the past I've immediately got complaints from users about that. Do you suggest just telling users to get used to not being able to mark forums read? That's not meant to be sarcastic, by the way, I really want your feedback. ;)
For existing forums, I recommend keeping forum list enabled and not hiding it. Its something they wont be familiar with.

As for marking forums read, is that a bug you've experienced?

For existing forums, I recommend keeping forum list enabled and not hiding it. Its something they wont be familiar with.

As for marking forums read, is that a bug you've experienced?
Specifically, I'm talking about being able to use "Mark forums read" when looking at the What's New posts. I mentioned it before and you or one of your teammates basically said that it was a necessary compromise for the addon to work.

Specifically, I'm talking about being able to use "Mark forums read" when looking at the What's New posts. I mentioned it before and you or one of your teammates basically said that it was a necessary compromise for the addon to work.
Oh? Im not familiar can you DM me a link?

Oh? Im not familiar can you DM me a link?
I don't even have it installed right now, but here's the link to our previous conversation:

And my bad, but you did mention that it might be a bug. That was with the last version, but the issue was still there when I tried the newest version a week or two back. Pretty sure I did at one point try disabling all other addon's too, but I guess I can try that again at some point, if you're saying you guys can't replicate it on your end. Thank you.

I don't even have it installed right now, but here's the link to our previous conversation:

And my bad, but you did mention that it might be a bug. That was with the last version, but the issue was still there when I tried the newest version a week or two back. Pretty sure I did at one point try disabling all other addon's too, but I guess I can try that again at some point, if you're saying you guys can't replicate it on your end. Thank you.
I'm not sure of any limitations, I just tried locally and seems fine. We even have it, last I checked, where you can mark forums read on the All Threads page. Itll mark the node associated with the topic I have selected as read. If you have multiple topics, right now, it does not, as that could be lots of threads. One modification I could see us doing is marking read JUST the list you have selected. And then maybe a filter for unread? That seems more human imo, no? Marking an entire node on the all threads view might not be ideal. But we have that support at least.

To be sure I'm clear, I'm talking about being about marking the forums read here:
nnvtjYv.jpg

Basically the "Mark forum read" button doesn't do anything when you click it. And if I remember right, if you mark everything read without the addon enabled and then enable the addon, there's no "Mark forum read" button showing at all and the "Show only: Unread x" filter is missing, so you can't get any posts to show.

I'll get around to reinstalling it and I'll be sure to disable all other addon's and if it happens again I'll post a screenshot or two.

@imno007 that would be great. We are, since you posted, considering a mark read for JUST the threads you have in your thread list, which to me seems more human than say marking an entire node (or topic or whatever) but there you go, we'll add that in at least :P

And if you find any issues please do report. We've had stability with beta testers and some of the clients we've have testing it for a few weeks now, so we decided to release, but definitely not been on hundreds of installs yet so could be some things to work out.

We have just 1 bug at the moment known, and 27 feature requests from people: https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addo...n+is:issue+project:Audentio/xf2addon-issues/7

@imno007 that would be great. We are, since you posted, considering a mark read for JUST the threads you have in your thread list, which to me seems more human than say marking an entire node (or topic or whatever) but there you go, we'll add that in at least :p

And if you find any issues please do report. We've had stability with beta testers and some of the clients we've have testing it for a few weeks now, so we decided to release, but definitely not been on hundreds of installs yet so could be some things to work out.

We have just 1 bug at the moment known, and 27 feature requests from people: https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addon-issues/issues?q=is:eek:pen+is:issue+project:Audentio/xf2addon-issues/7

Just a quick followup. I did reinstall and disable all other addon's and still encountered this issue. First I logged into a test account where I could see all the posts under What's New, but after clicking "Mark all forums read" nothing happened. I mean, I was redirected back to the main forum, per usual, but when I revisited the new posts page everything was there exactly as before - so it did not actually mark anything read. For whatever reason it's worse on my admin account. This is what I see when I visit the new posts page using my admin account:

jOVL6S8.png

That's NOT after clicking "Mark forums read." (Although I was able to do that before on my previous, first install, so I imagine that choice is stored in a table somewhere?) That's now my default view with the addon enabled. And as you can see, the default filter that would normally be displayed on the page for renabling all posts is missing too. And there's still no results even when ALL filters are enabled from the drop-down menu:

v6ZPkkF.png

So...uninstalled again. I'll hope I get lucky with the next upgrade.

EDIT: Okay, I had to try one more time. After uninstalling and reinstalling again the new posts under What's New and the "mark forums read" button reappeared for my admin account. However, the result was still the same as when I logged into my test account: it just doesn't work. After you click "Mark forums read" all the posts are still there when you go back - so again, nothing actually gets marked read. Alright, that's all I'm gonna say about it for now. Getting tired of hearing myself talk, so to say. :)

Last edited:
@Mike Creuzer

Apparently if I had been paying more attention I could have saved myself, and you, some time earlier today. Somehow I failed to notice that this was actually a new version - I downloaded what I thought was the newest version probably not more than a week ago. Installed this update and I'm glad to say the problem has disappeared. :notworthy:

@Mike Creuzer

Apparently if I had been paying more attention I could have saved myself, and you, some time earlier today. Somehow I failed to notice that this was actually a new version - I downloaded what I thought was the newest version probably not more than a week ago. Installed this update and I'm glad to say the problem has disappeared. :notworthy:
Ha no worries at all I was a bit confused, but trying to debug it. I think we are going to make some improvements to mark read all the same so feel free to check for that! :) Thanks for reporting all the same!

@Mike Creuzer
Unless I'm missing something - again - there seems to be no way to disable "New Threads" from the What's New navigation. I've definitely disabled it, multiple times, and still see this:

EJcrN7S.png

Disabling it on the forum view does work, by the way.

@Mike Creuzer
Unless I'm missing something - again - there seems to be no way to disable "New Threads" from the What's New navigation. I've definitely disabled it, multiple times, and still see this:

EJcrN7S.png

Disabling it on the forum view does work, by the way.
Other than through a template edit/template modification (in this case, disabling a template modification), there isn't any option to add/remove any links from that specific navigation.

I'll probably add an option to disable New Threads completely in a future version.

Out of interest, is there a particular reason that you don't want the New Threads to appear though?

Other than through a template edit/template modification (in this case, disabling a template modification), there isn't any option to add/remove any links from that specific navigation.

I'll probably add an option to disable New Threads completely in a future version.

Out of interest, is there a particular reason that you don't want the New Threads to appear though?

Thanks, Jon. I think that would be a good addition. Better than having users bang their heads wondering why an option that's supposed to disable something doesn't actually disable it.

And I'd prefer to disable it for two reasons: one, I already have New Threads appearing by default when users click the What's New link, requiring only one click; and two, because I couldn't get the Topics widget to appear there anyway - it wouldn't appear in any position for New Threads, making it doubly useless. (Also couldn't get it to appear in any position on forum view either, and maybe one or two others positions I can't remember offhand. I went through all the positions repeatedly, trying out each one and even disabling other addon's.)

Thanks again.

Top Bottom