[TH] Topics [Deleted]

@Dalton Prock @ThemeHouse @Xon

Looks like this addon still has some kind of conflict with the Prefix Essentials addon. I'm not seeing any of the errors on the front end anymore, but I'm currently seeing 50+ pages of these errors in the admin:

Server error log

• LogicException: Macro public:whats_new_posts :: filter_bar() error: Macro argument threadPrefixes is required and no value was provided
  • src/XF/Template/Templater.php:809
Stack trace
#0 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s112/public/whats_new_posts.php(42): XF\Template\Templater->mergeMacroArguments(Array, Array, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(701): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(ThemeHouse\UserImprovements\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s112/public/thtopics_whats_new_threads.php(158): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('whats_new_posts', 'filter_bar', Array, Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1301): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(ThemeHouse\UserImprovements\XF\Template\Templater), Array)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('thtopics_whats_...', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(418): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('ThemeHouse\\Topi...', 'public:thtopics...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(360): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#9 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(53): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#10 src/XF/App.php(2177): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#11 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#12 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#13 {main}

Request state

array(4) {
["url"] => string(25) "/whats-new/threads/32552/"
["referrer"] => string(42) "htt://.../forums/-/all-threads"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Just thought I'd let you know....

@Dalton Prock @ThemeHouse @Xon

Looks like this addon still has some kind of conflict with the Prefix Essentials addon. I'm not seeing any of the errors on the front end anymore, but I'm currently seeing 50+ pages of these errors in the admin:

Server error log

• LogicException: Macro public:whats_new_posts :: filter_bar() error: Macro argument threadPrefixes is required and no value was provided
  • src/XF/Template/Templater.php:809
Stack trace
#0 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s112/public/whats_new_posts.php(42): XF\Template\Templater->mergeMacroArguments(Array, Array, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(701): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(ThemeHouse\UserImprovements\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s112/public/thtopics_whats_new_threads.php(158): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('whats_new_posts', 'filter_bar', Array, Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1301): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(ThemeHouse\UserImprovements\XF\Template\Templater), Array)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('thtopics_whats_...', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(418): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('ThemeHouse\\Topi...', 'public:thtopics...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(360): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#9 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(53): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#10 src/XF/App.php(2177): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#11 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#12 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#13 {main}

Request state

array(4) {
["url"] => string(25) "/whats-new/threads/32552/"
["referrer"] => string(42) "htt://.../forums/-/all-threads"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Just thought I'd let you know....
Thank ya for the report, gone ahead and reported it on our issue tracker.

I see the issue, should be able to work on a fix in Prefix Essentials on Monday
I'm assuming this turned out to be more difficult and/or time-consuming than you expected. Can you give another guesstimate for when you think you might be able to fix this? Thanks

If you forget to clear then you cannot see the thread when you go to the forum view.
Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.34.29 AM.webp

At first I thought the forum was faulty and I discovered this :(

We have decided that the best way to support clients looking to purchase XPress, XWiki, and Topics, is to conduct the installation more like we would a project. We can then help install XPress and XWiki on existing platforms, help with basic configuration, and assist in resolving server errors that may occur. This approach for XPress, XWiki, and Topics will enable us to provide a better experience to new customers based on their particular configuration and goals. We will continue to provide support to existing customers and have lowered the renewal price of XWiki and XPress from the recent increase.

Last edited:
To all who bought Topics or were interested in it:

We spent A LOT of time trying to build Topics. And I say trying because it was a flawed idea from the beginning. The idea was to build a modern interface into XenForo and abstract away forum nodes or thread prefixes. We decided that the proper way to build the experience was instead to use existing structures, who would have thought. Our team had a lot of internal debate and discussion on the best way to accomodate this and what we ended up on was Topics.

Fast forward to using it for about a year, we had a breakthrough moment where it was quite obvious what a simpler solution would be to accomplish almost the same thing. Now it is true that what we came up with is not as grandeous of a goal as what Topics is, but it gives the users a much better experience in finding and discovering content AND it gives the admin next to nothing to setup (as we use existing structures entirely).

What we end up with is Filter. It requires no maintenance, no changing of structures you have (though we have some recommendations perhaps for making your experience more modern and enticing to new users if you need that), and is a MUUCCCH simpler product for us to maintain.

I want to thank EVERYONE who helped build Topics. It was a huge undertaking and through that experience we learned of a proper perspective to take, with Filter. We are retiring Topics by deleting the resource probably sometime next week. Anyone who bought Topics will get a free license for Filter, no matter what time you bought it. If our coupon on the Filter page gives you issue just reach out to support.

View a demo of Filter: https://demo.themehouse.com/xf2/uix-pro/threads/latest
See the product page: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-filter.7522/
A basic perspective of Topics vs Filter: https://www.themehouse.com/blog/filter-vs-topics-whats-the-difference

Thanks all! And feel free to use Filter thread for replies if you want. Or here. But I think this thread gets deleted once we delete the resource. I might copy the above to Filter. ^

I can't say I'm very surprised. I tried making use of Topics several times, but basically came to the conclusion that it would likely only really work for a brand new forum that was centered around it from the beginning, and I ran into limitations every time I tried to use it as I wanted. In the end it just didn't prove flexible enough for me personally.

@Mike Creuzer
Do you happen to know if there would be any issue with using Filters with Xon's Mult-Prefix addon?

I can't say I'm very surprised. I tried making use of Topics several times, but basically came to the conclusion that it would likely only really work for a brand new forum that was centered around it from the beginning, and I ran into limitations every time I tried to use it as I wanted. In the end it just didn't prove flexible enough for me personally.

@Mike Creuzer
Do you happen to know if there would be any issue with using Filters with Xon's Mult-Prefix addon?
^ You'd be right. And we felt that while we got it working very well on new forums it just required too much effort to put on a full forum. You'd have to be a forum expert to use it and even then your users might not appreciate the change. Here it is a very easy experience to adapt to, check the demo where we have both running side by side.

We do want to support that and there was a discussion on adding it after we get some initial feedback. That was a main add-on we wanted to add support for. tbh I just haven't messaged Xon yet to get that started.

^ You'd be right. And we felt that while we got it working very well on new forums it just required too much effort to put on a full forum. You'd have to be a forum expert to use it and even then your users might not appreciate the change. Here it is a very easy experience to adapt to, check the demo where we have both running side by side.

We do want to support that and there was a discussion on adding it after we get some initial feedback. That was a main add-on we wanted to add support for. tbh I just haven't messaged Xon yet to get that started.
Okay, thanks for the reply, Mike. I'll wait to hear back from you guys before thinking about purchasing. I find Xon's addon so useful, and it's so essential to my forums now, that if I had to choose just one, it would have to be his. But I'm all for making content discovery easier, so I would like to be able to make use of Filters at some point.

Okay, thanks for the reply, Mike. I'll wait to hear back from you guys before thinking about purchasing. I find Xon's addon so useful, and it's so essential to my forums now, that if I had to choose just one, it would have to be his. But I'm all for making content discovery easier, so I would like to be able to make use of Filters at some point.
We don't want to replace his product, we'll work with it if possible. I agree its a good product.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom