[TH] Sub-Domains [Deleted]

Deliberately ignoring staff multiple times
Why would I want to start a new thread to discuss something elsewhere. The discussion is directly related to the use of this addon, and the license agreement.

Thanks to @Ashley for clarifying the official permission position. As @Brogan has said, please contact XenForo directly using the Contact Us form if you are unsure about what has been said. This thread should be for discussion about the functionality of this add-on and not about licensing issues.

Also, please don't forget to check any licenses you have for other paid add-ons, including any other Waindigo add-ons if you are running a commercial site.

Last edited:
Is it possible that when "something.001" is accessed, it defaults to a domain? So if the thread is in a forum only visible from domain1.com and is accessed from domain2.com it redirects the user to domain1.com. This is to prevent double content and getting screwed by Google.

Thanks.
This is not currently possible, although you may be able to do it by editing your .htaccess file or similar.

This sounds like an awesome idea installed the addon but looking at how to set it up.

I setup

tried BF.kcgaming.com and can does not load anything

Thought I may need to create a sub domain so used cpanel to create a sub domain BF and point to web root still no go

Any ideas on how to get this working right
Could you be more specific about "no go". What exactly happens?

You always need to type in the full domain. Also, you may want to try bf.kcgaming.com all in lowercase. Not sure if this makes a difference. This also applies to your regular expression, which should be a full regular expression.

Hi
Great add-on !
Is it possible to get for each sub-forum the same forum_list (home) informations (threads, last messages, numbers of posts etc) ?
This is already the case. This is consistent with how XenForo works, since XenForo will show totals of all the above content, regardless of whether you have permission to view any of them.

Firstly reading my old post my English was terrible, I should not post at 1am local time!!

Was wanting to know how to use this addon. what information should I type into each filed when creating a sub domain and how do I then access this subdomain

for example I would like to have bf3 as a subdomain what information do I type in what box and once created through the addon. What else do I need to do and how do I access that subdomain. (* Do I need to create the subdomain through cpanel as well)

Essentially since I'm still very new to xenforo I feel like I'm asking a noob question, but did try to play with to no avail

Firstly reading my old post my English was terrible, I should not post at 1am local time!!

Was wanting to know how to use this addon. what information should I type into each filed when creating a sub domain and how do I then access this subdomain

for example I would like to have bf3 as a subdomain what information do I type in what box and once created through the addon. What else do I need to do and how do I access that subdomain. (* Do I need to create the subdomain through cpanel as well)

Essentially since I'm still very new to xenforo I feel like I'm asking a noob question, but did try to play with to no avail
Should be as follows:
upload_2013-8-19_13-55-25.webp

The rest of your question (about what you need to do on cpanel etc.) is beyond my expertise.

Thank you for the fix. This uninstalled correctly.

This is a good add-on with lots of potential, but if you use a lot of add-ons I am not sure it is ready for you yet.
There shouldn't be any major compatibility issues with other add-ons. The only problem is that some add-ons won't be easily customisable for each sub-domain, so you will end up with the same information on each domain.

If you are aware of any add-ons that do have serious compatibility issues, please let me know.

There shouldn't be any major compatibility issues with other add-ons. The only problem is that some add-ons won't be easily customisable for each sub-domain, so you will end up with the same information on each domain.

If you are aware of any add-ons that do have serious compatibility issues, please let me know.

I don't think it's that they aren't compatible as much as they have odd behavior that is hard to control. For instance I have a personal add-on where once a thread hits 2,500 views a tweet is sent out to my 10k followers about a 'hot thread alert'. This had a variable it keeps to know not to do repeat tweets of old threads, and I have 20K discussions. When I installed the add-on and it did my tweet cron job update it attempted to tweet 1,000 hot threads that were old. I stopped it after 50 and then twitter put me in jail. For what your add-on does this is exactly the behavior that should have happened, but, unless there is a way to have separate options for each add-on for each domain I don't think it will work for me. I think a solution like how Wordpress does for it's multisite and plugins would have to be implemented.

...but, unless there is a way to have separate options for each add-on for each domain I don't think it will work for me.
Each domain DOES have its own options for each add-on.

Perhaps you could email me the Twitter add-on so I can work out what the problem is?

What Paul said is correct.

As long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations, only then is a single license permissible.

The discussion seems to have taken on a different tone and suggests that not all of the content needs to be available from every domain or sub domain. Multiple licenses would be necessary if the content varies from different domains or sub domains.
Cool. This functionality will probably lead to a lot of spin off sites. I hope you have quantum discounts. :)

I have been testing this all morning and I am impressed at how awesome this is. Well done Jon!

I have 3 suggestions though

1) Allow login/logout to carry over. If you switch domains, allow the user to stay logged in / logged out automatically.
2) Nodes as tabs. Setting a tab to private still shows up in the other domains.
3) Allow member count to display all of the members, not just the ones who have logged in.

Awesome addon!

Found a bug.

When you move a node from a parent category to another, all of the nodes become invisible with a permission failure.

The only way around this was to allow "Registered" and "Guest" users to be able to view the node/category. Which overrides the sub-domain install, so double content again. Any idea what would cause this?

EDIT: Whenever I do anything that changes the permission of something (usergroup, user, move node into different category) everything gets messed up. I am locked out of the sub-domain forum, and can only see half the nodes on my primary domain (as admin). However, registered users can see them as they would normally.

Last edited:
I have been testing this all morning and I am impressed at how awesome this is. Well done Jon!

I have 3 suggestions though

1) Allow login/logout to carry over. If you switch domains, allow the user to stay logged in / logged out automatically.
If you are using it for subdomains (not domains) you should be able to do this by changing the domain for the cookie. I think you can do this in the config file, although can't remember exactly how.

2) Nodes as tabs. Setting a tab to private still shows up in the other domains.
I'll have to check this out. Did you check the extra option that checks node permissions (the one that adds an extra query on every page)?

3) Allow member count to display all of the members, not just the ones who have logged in.
I'll probably add an option for this.

Awesome addon!
Thanks.

Found a bug.

When you move a node from a parent category to another, all of the nodes become invisible with a permission failure.

The only way around this was to allow "Registered" and "Guest" users to be able to view the node/category. Which overrides the sub-domain install, so double content again. Any idea what would cause this?

EDIT: Whenever I do anything that changes the permission of something (usergroup, user, move node into different category) everything gets messed up. I am locked out of the sub-domain forum, and can only see half the nodes on my primary domain (as admin). However, registered users can see them as they would normally.
Eek. Sounds like a biggy. I'll look into it. Thanks.

If you are using it for subdomains (not domains) you should be able to do this by changing the domain for the cookie. I think you can do this in the config file, although can't remember exactly how.

I'll have to check this out. Did you check the extra option that checks node permissions (the one that adds an extra query on every page)?

I'll probably add an option for this.

Thanks.

Eek. Sounds like a biggy. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Cheers mate.

1) Using domain (not subdomain)

2) If you want to see what it is doing on my forum (production site) let me know. I'll give you access to the admin, ftp, cpanel, etc. Just let me know a time because downtime needs to remain minimal. All is running okay now, but the addon is no longer active.

Thanks.

Thanks. Fixing this node moving bug will be my priority, but should be able to replicate that locally. The others are more just nice things to have.

I haven't got a clue how to work this. I looks like something I would want but I'm so clueless. Tutorial someone?

I'm in the same boat Waindigo was kind enough to even post the details I needed to put in my settings, but still could not work out what else I had to do after that point to get it to work.

@Surf3rDud3 @KCGaming I can only really support you with the add-on itself. If you are having trouble getting your server/VPS/shared hosting set up to have multiple domains pointing to the same space, then this is beyond what I can really help with -- and there are probably so many different ways to do this, that writing a guide would not be easy.

What you should be aiming to do is to be able to access the same XenForo installation (when this add-on is disabled) when you browse to two or more different domains/sub domains. When you have that set up, then you should install this add-on and set it up.

If you are still struggling, I suggest contacting someone like @SchmitzIT, @Mike Edge, @Matthew Hawley who all advertise services for setting up hosting and add-ons.

Top Bottom