[TH] Social Groups [Deleted]

Two questions, firstly I'm not able to change it so you can't read the content unless you are a member of the group. I.E. Everyone can see the content of the social forums, just not post.

Also I can't find out how regular members can add others to their social group.
Go to your admin menu, go to the forum overview and set the permission for the specific element (the social category). Take away the "can view all posts" and other permissions for the registered, guest and other user groups and hit save. After that go to the social groups settings and there you can allow permissions for users, moderators and group creators.
:)

Go to your admin menu, go to the forum overview and set the permission for the specific element (the social category). Take away the "can view all posts" and other permissions for the registered, guest and other user groups and hit save. After that go to the social groups settings and there you can allow permissions for users, moderators and group creators.

Thank you for the registered users, However does a Creator of a Social Group add individuals?

If the group is set to "open" anyone can join or request to do so (if "moderated" is checked) just by clicking the join button.
If that is not set the creater/a moderator can go to the members page (via the box in the sidebar or url with /members at the end) and invite users with the search box on the right. Remember: If the group is not open, but moderated a moderator invites people and they get asked if they want to join, but after that the moderator has to allow them to join "again" by accepting their join request.
But it works ;)

If the group is set to "open" anyone can join or request to do so (if "moderated" is checked) just by clicking the join button.
If that is not set the creater/a moderator can go to the members page (via the box in the sidebar or url with /members at the end) and invite users with the search box on the right. Remember: If the group is not open, but moderated a moderator invites people and they get asked if they want to join, but after that the moderator has to allow them to join "again" by accepting their join request.
But it works ;)

Alright, I'm just trying to figure out where the Request function is I guess.

Big button at the top of the sidebar! :p You be different in your theme. For the user the easiest way is via the alert system, that will redirect to the correct site. Moderators have an overview via the members site

Need to underline my xenPorta permission problems. I used the box you get along with the addon (new groups) and guest (unregistered) don't have any rights:
If they visit the group category they see the correct message that there are no groups, same via the forum. But if they are on the portal and see the box they get the list of the newest groups (but they should not have permission for that).
Well but that is not the real problem, I could deactivate the block for specific groups, BUT and now the strage part: The user can click on one of the groups and see the FULL content!
I even set for unregistered/uncomfirmed every thing to "never", but they can still see everything if they have a direkt url to the group.
Not that great....

Update: Forum specific rights fixed that. but that is (in my opinion) a workaround that should not be necessary
Could you explain in more detail re: your update. I can't quite work out if what you have done is a "workaround" or if that is as it is designed.

Also, thank you for helping Eoj Nawoh with their problems. Your contribution is very much appreciated.

Could you explain in more detail re: your update. I can't quite work out if what you have done is a "workaround" or if that is as it is designed.

Also, thank you for helping Eoj Nawoh with their problems. Your contribution is very much appreciated.
Just giving back to the comminity, because you helped me so much.

Guest only have access to two forums on my site, I made this by not setting any permissions to view content or forums (Inherit, but since there is no group to inherit from it should be not set). The two accessible forums get specific view permissions. It works with xenforo as expected, guest can't even access the topics/forum if they get the login screen, but not with groups.
I now set specific forum permissions for the forum which is the social category and set the view permissions to 'never' (again, inherit had nothing to inherit from and should be not allowed as the xenforo default forums). With this made it worked and guests have to login first.

Just giving back to the comminity, because you helped me so much.

Guest only have access to two forums on my site, I made this by not setting any permissions to view content or forums (Inherit, but since there is no group to inherit from it should be not set). The two accessible forums get specific view permissions. It works with xenforo as expected, guest can't even access the topics/forum if they get the login screen, but not with groups.
I now set specific forum permissions for the forum which is the social category and set the view permissions to 'never' (again, inherit had nothing to inherit from and should be not allowed as the xenforo default forums). With this made it worked and guests have to login first.
If I understand correctly, this is exactly how you are supposed to do it. It is not a "workaround". But if you have any suggestions on how to make the user permissions system more user friendly (but still as flexible) do let me know.

*community - oops ;)
I think that groups should by default the same way as xenforo forums itselves do, so it should not display them if there is no inherited permission given. It will be flexible in the same way, because you can always give permission to allow user to view the page. It should of course not only look for forum specific permissions, but also for global ones. Social groups is cool, but hard to learn, because it somehow breaks with the basic user flow and way xenforo is setup (in my opinion). It works, but it is pretty hard to understand that.
Xenforo has an opt-in type of permission system, while Social Groups uses opt-out. And in my opinion opt-in is the better way of doing permissions.

*community - oops ;)
I think that groups should by default the same way as xenforo forums itselves do, so it should not display them if there is no inherited permission given. It will be flexible in the same way, because you can always give permission to allow user to view the page. It should of course not only look for forum specific permissions, but also for global ones. Social groups is cool, but hard to learn, because it somehow breaks with the basic user flow and way xenforo is setup (in my opinion). It works, but it is pretty hard to understand that.
Could you paste a screenshot of the permissions you have had to set for the Social Category? My understanding from what you have said is that you have used the "inherit" permission for most things?

Alright, I kind of feel dumb... again. :P
I should really check my permissions before I complain. I set view forum permission to the guest, but I have two forum categories, one where guest can view and an internal one. I managed my permission by setting everything to never for guests in the internal forums. I did forget to set the same for social groups, because I installed it way after that...
Sorry, my fault again. You are perfect :D

Remember what I said about some permissions don't working as I would assume?
Everybody still can see thread titles of private (!) groups in profiles of other users and in recent activity.
If they click on it, they get "no permission" as expected, but still can see the titles...

Remember what I said about some permissions don't working as I would assume?
Everybody still can see thread titles of private (!) groups in profiles of other users and in recent activity.
If they click on it, they get "no permission" as expected, but still can see the titles...
Might want to check your node permissions again then. The add-on is actually not that clever, so if you set the permissions correctly it will just work like any normal forum.

This doesn't tell me much. What are the permissions for the parent node(s) and for the Registered user group?

Top Bottom