[TH] Social Groups [Deleted]

I encountered two bugs:
The social group name is not listed in 'whats new' (I'm not 100% if this is a bug or if its meant that way)

When I try to invite a member I get this error:
Code:
Server Error

Argument 2 passed to Waindigo_SocialGroups_Model_SocialForumMember::invite() must be an instance of Waindigo_SocialGroups_SocialForum, array given, called in /library/Waindigo/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/SocialForum.php on line 728 and defined

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in Waindigo/SocialGroups/Model/SocialForumMember.php at line 302
    Waindigo_SocialGroups_Model_SocialForumMember->invite() in Waindigo/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/SocialForum.php at line 728
    Waindigo_SocialGroups_ControllerPublic_SocialForum->actionInvite() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /index.php at line 13

I encountered two bugs:
The social group name is not listed in 'whats new' (I'm not 100% if this is a bug or if its meant that way)

When I try to invite a member I get this error:
Code:
Server Error

Argument 2 passed to Waindigo_SocialGroups_Model_SocialForumMember::invite() must be an instance of Waindigo_SocialGroups_SocialForum, array given, called in /library/Waindigo/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/SocialForum.php on line 728 and defined

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in Waindigo/SocialGroups/Model/SocialForumMember.php at line 302
    Waindigo_SocialGroups_Model_SocialForumMember->invite() in Waindigo/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/SocialForum.php at line 728
    Waindigo_SocialGroups_ControllerPublic_SocialForum->actionInvite() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /index.php at line 13

Thanks. Confirmed. Please replace file /library/Waindigo/SocialGroups/Model/SocialForumMember.php with the attached. This will be included in the next update.

Attachments

Can the group owner or admin transfer ownership?
Not currently. A few MySql queries should do the trick though -- one to update the social forum (xf_social_forum) and one to update each of the members you are changing from/to (xf_social_forum_member).

Is there newsfeed integration?
Threads will show in the news feed if threads are visible to you even if you are not a member of a social group. Otherwise, they will be hidden.

How do you import vbulletin social groups?
Currently the only way is to import into Social Groups for XenForo add-on and then import from that add-on into this. Since this is cheaper than paying me to develop a full importer, no-one has contributed to ask me to develop this feature proper.

Is there a list of invited members?
Invited members will show on the full member list.

group leaderboard / top members / group member statistics (posts, likes, reports, etc)
I am waiting for XenForo 1.2 to be released with the upcoming Notable Members feature. This will then likely be integrated into Social Groups.

Social Group rules (accept before you can join)
Nice suggestion.

Group news widget
I'm going to wait and see if XenForo 1.2 includes its own widget system...

Group description widget
I'm going to wait and see if XenForo 1.2 includes its own widget system...

Group tasks
Not on my to-do list at the moment.

Group images from XenMediaGAllery
Have had a lot of interest for this. Apart from Chris Deeming who has yet to get back to me about it.

Mark group for deletion
Do you mean soft-delete? This will likely be added in future.

Prune inactive groups
This one is a long way down on my to-do list, since there is not even a feature like this for real forums.

Social Sharing: mark group thread for social sharing.
There is a share button on every page.

Group conversations
Not sure I really understand the point of this.

Integrate with custom profile fields, so that all members who have filled in the same in the interest profile field, are invited to a social group dedicated to that interest.
Sounds complicated. Probably this would be a private add-on if you wanted me to develop this.

Hide the groups category from the node list and add it to a (navigation) tab. This would be handy for websites that already have a mass of nodes.
Already possible. Use Nodes As Tabs. It was intentionally built this way.

Add a link to the information tab on profile to find all group posts by the member.
Nice idea, although due to the permissions issue (see answer to news feed question), this will not work properly. So that needs to be addressed first.

Add group privacy levels so that users who are not members of a group can not see the groups content.
Already possible. See this guide.

Connect a group to a forum. I have groups that maintain a forum.
Not likely to be added as a feature. I understand what you are saying, but doesn't really fit in with what this add-on is trying to achieve.

Group category permissions. So that only certain usergroups can join groups in a group category.
This is already possible. See this guide.

After replacing the file I encounter this error:
Code:
Fatal error: Call to a member function getMember() on a non-object in /library/Waindigo/SocialGroups/Model/SocialForumMember.php on line 304

Not currently. A few MySql queries should do the trick though -- one to update the social forum (xf_social_forum) and one to update each of the members you are changing from/to (xf_social_forum_member).
Its pretty vital that group owners / leaders can transfer the group when they no longer have time to maintain it. Or if the group owner is already gone, then site moderators should be able to do it. Otherwise the group is likely to die.

Invited members will show on the full member list.
Once you invite a member, then the member is not listed anywhere until the member accepts. This means that the same member can receive many invitations which is annoying.
What happens once the member is invited? Does the member get the option to accept or decline?
What happens when the member declines? Is that listed somewhere or can the member be invited over and over again?
Is it possible to cancel invitations?

Have had a lot of interest for this. Apart from Chris Deeming who has yet to get back to me about it.
Yes, this would bring more value to social groups.

Do you mean soft-delete? This will likely be added in future.
No. I would not want a group leader to be able to delete their groups without a staff member approving the deletion. So if the group leader would be able to mark their group for deletion, then the group can be deleted after a staff member confirms it.
Have you tried RSyvarth social groups? If not then take a look at it, as it works really well.

This one is a long way down on my to-do list, since there is not even a feature like this for real forums.
But this is exactly the difference between social groups and forums. Social Groups can be created by members. In my case thats a few hundreds of thousands of members. A lot of members try it out and abandon their group. That results in a lot of bogus groups that no one uses.
In contrast, normal forums are created by the admin and rarely need to be removed. So it would not make sense to have this function on normal forums, but it makes a lot of sense to have a prune function on social groups.
Alternatively it would also work to have some way to sort groups by message count and then have an easy way to delete a large number of selected groups.

Not sure I really understand the point of this.
It regularly happens that a group member wants to message all other group members.
Mind that social groups are basically the next generation of mailing lists.
For the same reason I would like to suggest:
  • Reply to group by email.
This was quite a popular request for vbulletin social groups for several reasons. It makes it easier to stay updated to a group and reply.
Another major thing is that there still are a lot of mailing lists out there. Some have moved to facebook groups, but many still want to maintain their emailing lists. If social groups have reply by email functionality then this allows email lists to be connected with social groups. In other words: email lists can move their communication to a xenforo installation and see their discussions in social groups. This is very attractive for mailing lists and allows webmasters to gain new members and activity.

Not likely to be added as a feature. I understand what you are saying, but doesn't really fit in with what this add-on is trying to achieve.
Too bad. This would add a lot of value to this addon for me.

After replacing the file I encounter this error:
Code:
Fatal error: Call to a member function getMember() on a non-object in /library/Waindigo/SocialGroups/Model/SocialForumMember.php on line 304
Please delete line 304 of that file (not sure why it is there). I have updated the above file.

Its pretty vital that group owners / leaders can transfer the group when they no longer have time to maintain it. Or if the group owner is already gone, then site moderators should be able to do it. Otherwise the group is likely to die.
Agreed. This will be added.

Is it possible to cancel invitations and to differentiate between invited members and group members?
Yes.

No. I would not want a group leader to be able to delete their groups without a staff member approving the deletion. So if the group leader would be able to mark their group for deletion, then the group can be deleted after a staff member confirms it.
Have you tried RSyvarth social groups? If not then take a look at it, as it works really well.
Understood.

But this is exactly the difference between social groups and forums. Social Groups can be created by members. In my case thats a few hundreds of thousands of members. A lot of members try it out and abandon their group. That results in a lot of bogus groups that no one uses.
In contrast, normal forums are created by the admin and rarely need to be removed. So it would not make sense to have this function on normal forums, but it makes a lot of sense to have a prune function on social groups.
Alternatively it would also work to have some way to sort groups by message count and then have an easy way to delete a large number of selected groups.
Point taken.

It regularly happens that a group member wants to message all other group members.
Mind that social groups are basically the next generation of mailing lists.
For the same reason I would like to suggest:
  • Reply to group by email.
This was quite a popular request for vbulletin social groups for several reasons. It makes it easier to stay updated to a group and reply.

Another major thing is that there still are a lot of mailing lists out there. Some have moved to facebook groups, but many still want to maintain their emailing lists. If social groups have reply by email functionality then this allows email lists to be connected with social groups. In other words: email lists can move their communication to a xenforo installation and see their discussions in social groups. This is very attractive for mailing lists and allows webmasters to gain new members and activity.
If an add-on is built to support this in XenForo, then it should work for Social Groups also.

Too bad. This would add a lot of value to this addon for me.

As I'm sure you already know, I am usually happy to add any feature to any of my existing add-ons provided someone is willing to contribute to half the cost (I always contribute the other half). If you are interested in contributing to any of these features, please contact me by PM. As you can see from the resource description page, a lot of other members have already contributed to features for this add-on. This is exactly how it should work, and I would like to see that list grow and grow.

Currently I am in the phase of trying to find essential functionality in XF so that I can migrate my big board to XF. As soon as its clear that its possible to migrate to XF without functionality loss, then I will sponsor whatever functionality needed.

I completely agree with your reasoning about having addon users sponsor needed functionality.

How do you cancel an invitation?

For Alfa1 and others, I am happy to help contribute to XenMediaGallery/gallery for the groups as I too believe it would really be something good.

Waindigo, is integrating Jaxel's XenPorta a realistic possiblity? If so, anyone else interested in helping me to contribute towards it's development? Really need some wiki-type functionality for my social groups.

Really happy to see others contributing towards these great new features! With custom fields and these other extensions, social groups can add an entirely new dimension for forums. Waindigo, you've done a great job so far! :)

Waindigo, is integrating Jaxel's XenPorta a realistic possiblity? If so, anyone else interested in helping me to contribute towards it's development? Really need some wiki-type functionality for my social groups.

Based on past experience, I would rather not bother wasting time extending any of Jaxel's add-ons. After XenForo 1.2 is released, I will be looking again at Library by Waindigo -- probably this would be a good candidate.

Really happy to see others contributing towards these great new features! With custom fields and these other extensions, social groups can add an entirely new dimension for forums. Waindigo, you've done a great job so far! :)

Thanks.

Waindigo updated Social Groups by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.5a released

Bug fixes:
  • Added a workaround for a bug in XenPorta that incorrectly identifies a redirect thread as being the thread itself, resulting in an error being thrown by this add-on.
  • Fixed bug that thread remains attached to social forum after being moved. Also modified cache rebuilder to fix any threads that were previously affected by this bug and correct broken counts.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Just remember this addon: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-paid-sticky.804/ and it allows a member to pay to sticky thread in a specific forum.

Since you added stickied groups, any possibility of incorporating something similar to social groups where social group owner can pay to have their group stickied for a duration but have a max # of avaliable paid sticky slots and once fille dno other group owners would be able to pay to sticky unitl a slot opens up?

Just remember this addon: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-paid-sticky.804/ and it allows a member to pay to sticky thread in a specific forum.

Since you added stickied groups, any possibility of incorporating something similar to social groups where social group owner can pay to have their group stickied for a duration but have a max # of avaliable paid sticky slots and once fille dno other group owners would be able to pay to sticky unitl a slot opens up?

Do you have that add-on? Would probably be easier to extend that than to build from scratch.

Do you have that add-on? Would probably be easier to extend that than to build from scratch.

Don't own it but would happily purchase if it's possible to extend. Any way you would know if it's possible to extend to social groups without me purchasing? Really don't want to purchase and then not use it. :confused:

Don't own it but would happily purchase if it's possible to extend. Any way you would know if it's possible to extend to social groups without me purchasing? Really don't want to purchase and then not use it. :confused:

I'll ask Slavik if he will send me a copy to look at. You will obviously still have to pay for it if I do extend it though and I can't see it being a problem.

Edit: I have a copy. I will get back to you by PM to discuss cost when I get a chance to look at it. As you know, I am working on something else right now ;)

I hope that the ability to change owner will be added soon. It is a much missed feature of my members and will be one less thing for me to do.

Thanks for the continued support, Much appreciated!

Top Bottom