[TH] Join User Group [Deleted]

I think I may have figured out what part of the problem is. But I still don't know how to fix it.

Okay say you have 2 user groups. Regular Members and Premium Members.
Now, you have a forum board for Premium Members. So you set this board to revoke permissions for Regular Members because you only want Premium Members to be able to see it.

When a Regular Member requests to join the Premium Group (and they are approved), they cannot see the Premium Forum because it is still Revoked for Regular Members.

No revoke permissions to Regular members. Add permissions to the group premium. Set the minimum permissions to regular members group and add permissions to Premium members group. Set the node permisssions for premium group in the appropriate nodes.

Salud2

This is what I meant by having incorrect permissions.

No revoke permissions to Regular members. Add permissions to the group premium. Set the minimum permissions to regular members group and add permissions to Premium members group. Set the node permisssions for premium group in the appropriate nodes.
This is what I meant by having incorrect permissions.
That's great. I still have no idea what this means.

I got the whole remove the revoke permissions from Regular Users but this makes no sense to me.
Set the minimum permissions to regular members group and add permissions to Premium members group. Set the node permisssions for premium group in the appropriate nodes.

Well that resource was certainly helpful on showing me that I needed to make some massive changes to all of my usergroup permissions. So I did those, thanks for that. However, that resource doesn't help much when trying to create a specific Node that user X can see, but not user Y.

I ran a bunch of searches and found this one: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/
I'll have to do some testing later on but hopefully this works.

As an update, I got it all working now thanks to both of these resources used in conjunction with one another.
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

While this specific resource wasn't responsible for the headache I got. It did make me learn how to properly setup my permissions. Up until this point I thought I was doing everything correctly. Little did I know...

EDIT: @Neal
I read your review and noticed you had the same issues I had. This post will help you sort that out if you haven't figured it out by now.

Last edited:
After installing this and creating one publicly joinable usergroup, I am not able to see where to join it and there is nothing in the user menu: http://screencast.com/t/1PekDEiRQE

Btw, im using Xenforo 1.2 beta 3 so im thinking that is why I cant see anything.

ALSO - can a usergroup moderator that approves users also unapproved (remove) then later?

Last edited:
After installing this and creating one publicly joinable usergroup, I am not able to see where to join it and there is nothing in the user menu: http://screencast.com/t/1PekDEiRQE

Btw, im using Xenforo 1.2 beta 3 so im thinking that is why I cant see anything.
Please check whether you have given the user the permission to join user groups.

ALSO - can a usergroup moderator that approves users also unapproved (remove) then later?
Yes.

Thanks, both issues resolved! This is a much better mod than expected:) (have too look up the brand free version)

I do have a a small abnormality that I wanted to mentiwhenhne joining a group as an administrator. After I fill out the description of why I want to join and then submit, I get the following error: "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.". But as soon as i reload the page (site.com/account/join-user-groups) I see all the joinable usergroups again and see that I am already part of the usergroup i wanted to be. The only thing is that the moderator never confirmed me and I automatically became part of the group. Im sure its just an issue because I am an admin and there is no other option for this but I did want to let you know.
Do you have "Can join moderated user group" permission turned on?

There is a new option to mark groups as moderated. Have you checked that?

Where is this?

I have the "Can Join Moderated Usergroups" usergroup permission set to "no". I have moderators assigned to the usergroups, but if a user requests to join, it goes ahead and adds them right in.

I upgraded from 1.0.9, and this happened.

upload_2013-7-20_14-12-52.webp

This was added in 1.1. If you don't have this checked, your usergroups are no longer moderated, regardless of whether they have a moderator assigned.

View attachment 51722

This was added in 1.1. If you don't have this checked, your usergroups are no longer moderated, regardless of whether they have a moderator assigned.

Thanks.

So... how much would it cost me to get that stripped out? I thought it was a lot more elegant when it was just "has a moderator == moderated" and "doesn't have a moderator == not moderated".

:D

Thanks.

So... how much would it cost me to get that stripped out? I thought it was a lot more elegant when it was just "has a moderator == moderated" and "doesn't have a moderator == not moderated".

:D
@tyteen4a03 will confirm, but I think the reasoning behind it is that it is now possible for global moderators to moderate groups without the need for specific moderators to be added.

As such, I guess it would make sense to have it so that if there is a moderator then moderation is assumed and that the box doesn't need to be ticked, but I don't think the option should be "stripped out" as it still serves a purpose.

Would this suffice?

Well, the problem I have is that global moderators were never supposed to have permission to edit who was or was not in the joinable groups. By explicitly granting the moderator permission to one or more users, you get to control who the gatekeepers are.

It sound like there's no switch to control it? Maybe the global moderator bit should be a usergroup permission? I get why he added it... and it's potentially useful, it's just not in keeping with how I need the add-on to work.

Ok, so sounds like we need a global option to stop global moderators from being able to act as "gatekeepers" as well then?

Correct - the current set up is that Super Moderators will be able to approve all joinable user groups as that's how I see super mods - being able to moderate everything. As for changing this, I'm not sure who should be maintaining it: me or Waindigo .

Waindigo updated Join User Group by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.1.2 released

New features:
  • Added option to prevent super moderators from moderating user groups.
Bug fixes:
  • Any user group that has been assigned a joinable user group moderator will now have all requests moderated, regardless of the moderator setting.
  • Requesting to join a user group of which you are a moderator will no longer request a reason and will give the correct success message.

Read the rest of this update entry...

@shawn I have added an option to prevent super moderators from moderating. If you would like to make a donation for this feature, that would be much appreciated. I consider the other "features" to be bugs (since it makes no sense to have moderators for a group that is not moderated), so I wouldn't expect you to pay for this.

Upgrade killed my forum! HELP!!!

The field 'joinable_moderator_user_ids' was not recognised.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Waindigo_JoinUserGroup_Model_User::canJoinUserGroup() in /*******/******/public_html/community/library/Waindigo/JoinUserGroup/Listener/TemplateHook.php on line 37
Capture_07202013_161556.webp

Disabling the addon has removed the fatal error but now my forum is closed and i cannot reopen it?? THis is the first plugin ive seen that closes a forum upon upgrade, why is this necessary?

Uninstalling!!! Hopefully that will turn my forum back on...
-----------------------

Edit: Yup that did it..

Top Bottom