[TH] Holidays

[TH] Holidays 2.1.3

No permission to download
So I've seen this a few times and only recently figured out what's wrong with the help of another customer. Are you trying to upgrade the addon when this happens? If you are, can you deactivate it first, then upgrade it. There seems to be some state it gets in during the upgrade where it needs the composer packages but they're not available yet.

Not 100% sure if this is what you're looking for. But most adjustments to the Holiday add-on settings are found in the AdminCP > Appearance > Holidays.

HTH:)

Are you asking how you can activate the holiday styling for a single forum member on their birthday (and only they can see the holiday styling)?

Ahh...yes I would be interested in seeing if this is possible as well.:)

In a members account preferences...Holiday Styling can be disabled...but not sure if Holiday styling can be turned on for just one member & only they can see it. If this is possible (that would be great).

I'm not sure how the birthday one is supposed to work actually 🤔 It applies the holidays globally whenever they're enabled, I think this would need to be supported differently to activate on the user's birthday.

So I checked, the the birthday holiday is intended to be set manually for the birthday of the forum. The active holiday is set globally so isn't currently possible to set it for an individual (be that based on birthday or anything). I've checked with the team, and we don't currently have any plans to add support for it enabling the birthday effects for individual users I'm afraid.

So I checked, the the birthday holiday is intended to be set manually for the birthday of the forum.
Thanks much for checking & clarifying Matt.:)

So the "Birthday" styling is really supposed to be a once/year sort of thing which reflects the birthday of the forum itself...not any particular forum members birthday. Is this correct?

Of course like you said...if a forum wanted to activate the Birthday styling for an individual members birthday...this would need to be done manually each time this was desired.

This is great, but it would be even better if there was a way to disable the animation effects (snow, bats, etc) for thread pages.

I know people are going to complain if they are trying to concentrate on a thread but their screen is all covered in snow xD

This is great, but it would be even better if there was a way to disable the animation effects (snow, bats, etc) for thread pages.

I know people are going to complain if they are trying to concentrate on a thread but their screen is all covered in snow xD
The settings are there to disable or adjust those. See a few posts above.

I think most sites will always have some members who like the effects & some who hate it. It probably would be nice to have the ability for the holiday effects to only show on the site Home Page (and no where else).

Of course if individual members are really bothered by the effects...they can go to their account preferences & disable Holiday Styling. Unfortunately this disables everything. But if it makes them happier...it's an option.:)

It is also possible to reduce the number of effects for a holiday. For example...I believe the "snowflake count" can be between 1-500. If this setting was set at like 5 or 10...that's not too much on the screen at any one time.:)

I think most sites will always have some members who like the effects & some who hate it. It probably would be nice to have the ability for the holiday effects to only show on the site Home Page (and no where else).
I would like to enable/disable the effects per style. Easy enough to create a child theme, give it the same name with a "(no holiday effects version)" next to it and tell all the holiday grouches to switch over to it. 😁

Bug:

The "holly" on the winter and xmas theme cause issues with mobile style due to the holly rotating and the hitbox going outside the main window, it means you get an empty scroll portion. It also causes an issue with the sticky header (due to the same reason).

I changed the "right" value from -7px to 4px in the style, but this doesn't look so nice as then the holly is now part way across the header and not in the corner..

Edit: I wonder if something changed with the xF mobile style from 2.2, because I've just realized the snow at the bottom of boxes doesn't extend to the full width either, it cuts off where the interior padding for text would be. That would also explain the holly issue.

Screenshot_20211215-030105_Edge.webp

Last edited:
Bug:

The "holly" on the winter and xmas theme cause issues with mobile style due to the holly rotating and the hitbox going outside the main window, it means you get an empty scroll portion. It also causes an issue with the sticky header (due to the same reason).

I changed the "right" value from -7px to 4px in the style, but this doesn't look so nice as then the holly is now part way across the header and not in the corner..

Edit: I wonder if something changed with the xF mobile style from 2.2, because I've just realized the snow at the bottom of boxes doesn't extend to the full width either, it cuts off where the interior padding for text would be. That would also explain the holly issue.

View attachment 261948
Hello Ben! I do see what you mean on our themes demo where we have the latest version of Holidays being used along with the latest version of XenForo. I'll go ahead and get an issue created on our issue tracker. Thanks for your detailed report :)

Top Bottom