[TH] Conversations Access [Deleted]

@Waindigo if a moderator or admin reads an unread message using this system, is it marked as read to the sender or recipient ?
It needs not to be for two reasons:
1) Often people only read unread messages, ignoring read ones because they assume they have already read them and
2) Admin need to stealthily read conversation messages. We don't want members to know we've done it.

Something definitely marks conversations as read by people who have never even been online since the message was created.

Yes, this add-on marks them as read. This is as designed as there is always the "mark as unread" option. Happy to add an option for this if you would like to contribute though.

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems strange that a third party (Admin) reading a Private Conversation does so "as designed" anything other than completely silently.

It gets worse.

If I select "My Content" then as expected I see, amongst other things, conversations I have created with others.

If I choose to view one of these conversations then something marks it as having been read by the other party. (I guess it's this add-on but I don't know for sure).
If I mark it as unread to overcome this, then it's marked as unread by me but not by the other party.
Which then creates a message alert for an unread Conversation - the one I created in the first place. I can't get rid of that without reading the message again.

I now have a conversation message which was read by the other party "9 minutes ago" where the other party hasn't been online since last Wednesday. And I can't fix it.

Oh, dear!

so this is not a "stealth" addon?
an admin inspecting other's conversation is visible in "last seen" too?

It gets worse.

If I select "My Content" then as expected I see, amongst other things, conversations I have created with others.

If I choose to view one of these conversations then something marks it as having been read by the other party. (I guess it's this add-on but I don't know for sure).
If I mark it as unread to overcome this, then it's marked as unread by me but not by the other party.
Which then creates a message alert for an unread Conversation - the one I created in the first place. I can't get rid of that without reading the message again.

I now have a conversation message which was read by the other party "9 minutes ago" where the other party hasn't been online since last Wednesday. And I can't fix it.

Oh, dear!
This sounds like a bug. I'll look into it.

so this is not a "stealth" addon?
an admin inspecting other's conversation is visible in "last seen" too?
This was not designed as a stealth add-on, hence the "as designed" comment above.

If I choose to view one of these conversations then something marks it as having been read by the other party. (I guess it's this add-on but I don't know for sure)
We have 1.0.2 installed in our Sandbox.

At the moment, the new option "Don't mark...." is UNchecked.

I created a new conversation with another user - Shepherd Spy
I then accessed "Your Content" (= my content, of course). The first entry in the search result page was this new conversation.
I accessed the conversation.

98.gif

User "Shepherd Spy" has not logged on to the system, much less read this message. Thus something is marking the conversation as read by the other party. When it hasn't been.

I wouldn't have required any extra permission to read this for myself; I created it so it's part of my content so I have access regardless of my special permissions. I certainly would not expect in any circumstances, this to be marked as read by the other party.

The box you are referring to is a feature of another add-on (Conversation Essentials, I think). Happy to work around this, but there would be a cost for that.

I'm referring to the Last Read date for user Shepherd Spy in this case. Which was not "a moment ago" or at any other time.

...but what data is it reading and how is that getting erroneously updated. Not, I suspect, by the sidebar itself.

Top Bottom