Text selection erratic when moving up

Redglyph

Affected version
Description

When the user selects the text with the keyboard by moving the cursor UP, using END and HOME doesn't work correctly.
Those keys change the end of the selection (at the bottom) instead of moving the start of the selection (where the cursor is).

This happens frequently when pasting a few line of text, for example when I want to format them or include them in a quote. I paste, select up (faster than using the mouse), press HOME to select from the start of the line, and see this bug.

Steps to reproduce
  • move at the end of the text to select
  • press the SHIFT+UP arrow key to move up one or several lines
  • press SHIFT+END or SHIFT+HOME
=> the end of the selection has changed instead of the start

This is 100% reproducible, including here on this very website.

Example

Type or copy the following lines:

Code:
abcd
abcd
ab

Move at the end of the last line, after 'b'. Press shift, go up to lines, and press HOME.
You would expect the selection to grow to the beginning of the first line.

This is what you will get:
  • before pressing SHIFT+HOME:
1681582828419.webp
  • this is the outcome after pressing SHIFT+HOME (the end of the selection changed):
1681582861481.webp
  • this is what was expected instead (the start of the selection - where the cursor is - changed):​
1681583128231.webp

Just tried it and got the same thing. It does look like a bug to me. The text editor is known to be quite buggy, so not surprising.

Spammers. They delete them fast, but not before you get a notification about their reply.
Perhaps, though it looked like the author thought I was writing about a software editor, then realized it was a forum engine and deleted his post. I was more surprised to see that the account couldn't be found either.

Top Bottom