XF 2.2 Text Reply Box & Similar Threads

OverHere

Hello All

1. I have the latest v2.1.10 Patch 2 version on my forum, which I believe is the latest Stable version. But there are some differences between what I have and what appears here on XF in terms of text reply box features and other features.

What version is here on XF?

2. And is the feature 'Similar Threads' not a part of v2.1.10 Patch 2?

Thanks

It's a new feature in XFES 2.2.

It's a new feature in XFES 2.2.

I see, but my Host says (about ElasticSearch):

"Elasticsearch is a third party application written in Java and it's not installed in vps servers by default. Elasticsearch is known for high memory usage and we don't recommend installing it in entry-level vps plans(It can cause out of memory issues)"

My forum is relatively new but I do want the feature Similar Threads as I believe this is a 'sticky' feature.

Should I go ahead with 'Similar Threads' or not?

Please advise.

Last edited:
XFES has tripled my hosting costs. You have to keep that in mind. For me, Elasticsearch requires a more powerful VPS than what my forum itself does. If costing is not an issue... It is definitely worth the improved search and new ES powered features!

There's also the option of hosted elasticsearch.

Obviously that's not free but it may work out cheaper than paying for upgraded hosting.

self hosted is slightly cheaper for me (iirc 16 dollars/month is the base plan offered by elastic.co). but securing elastic search was quite a pain. so yes. hosted solution is a better idea!

You can try out a "free" tier plan on Amazon. I put it in quotations because I tried it once and they ended up charging me something like $8 after only a couple of days, and projection for future usage was in the red. There's a couple of addon's here for similar threads, if that's what's most important to you.

If you want some idea of how to install Elasticsearch on a droplet, as Brogan suggested, this will give you an idea of what's involved:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: eL_
Top Bottom