XF 1.4 Testing a live backup on same server as live site

ophy

I've been doing test migrations from vbulletin 4.2 to xenforo 1.4.3 on wamp with no problems at all.
Basically I only have access to one main VPS server, and I want to test a migration of a separate domain that hosts the same main forum without disrupting it. I'm just not sure if a migration uses a lot of resources that it bogs the server down because of a high server load.

I've been doing test migrations from vbulletin 4.2 to xenforo 1.4.3 on wamp with no problems at all.
Basically I only have access to one main VPS server, and I want to test a migration of a separate domain that hosts the same main forum without disrupting it. I'm just not sure if a migration uses a lot of resources that it bogs the server down because of a high server load.
All depends on the size of your forum

4,000+ members, around 500,000 posts? The offline backup takes around 3-4 hours to finish completely. If it's too bad, I guess I can consider buying a cheap vps and connect it to the domain and try it that way?
That's generally the better option. Just get a Digital Ocean VPS and do your test migrations on that. We did something similar so we wouldn't bog down our live server.

Reactions: Xon
I dare say such a test would max out your database for an hour or so, mainly because of index creation. Once loaded you would be fine.

But yeah, digital ocean vps or AWS is a no-brainer

Reactions: Xon
You can also dump the old database to the new server via a stream, vastly reducing the load on the old database.
Code:
ssh username@old_server nice -10 ionice -c2 -n 7 mysqldump -u <database> -p -c --single-transaction --quick --opt --quote-names \| gzip > forum.sql.gz

This runs from the new server, sshing into the olf server and then dumping the database. This then pushes the contents back across the ssh tunnel, and compresses it on disk.

Top Bottom