Template system and vb4 import?

Sean S

Hi there,

was wondering if there is a template system available like vb 3 where you could actually see and edit the template code, such as forumhome, showthread, forumdisplay and so on. The reason I ask is because as a designer, I always like to make certain things look my way instead of what I get out of the box.

I'm also aware that with the next release there will be a lot of template and CSS changes. Is this the reason that most of the sites I see running Xenforo have almost the same default style running with just minor color changes? or are the templates hard to understand?

My last question is whether there is a script or addon where I can import my forums from vb4 to Xenforo?

Since this is my first post, I would like to also mention that you guys have done a very nice job with the front end design of this product. Very simple, fast, and to the point.

thank you,
Sean

1. Yes, everything you see (in frontend as well as backend) is contained in templates. The templating system is quite powerful too. My personal favorite is the ability to create custom helpers; which allows you to abstract (hide?) away complex logic from your templates. You can see a sample of the template syntax here: The Staff Online Now Block.

Note: Most of the time you wouldn't need to edit the html templates; unless you want to add something to it. If you are good with CSS, you can achieve major layout changes without even touching the html source.

2. I think a lot of us are waiting for the CSS templates to be stabilized.

3. Yes. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-import-adapted-for-attachments.5726/

Hi there,

was wondering if there is a template system available like vb 3 where you could actually see and edit the template code, such as forumhome, showthread, forumdisplay and so on. The reason I ask is because as a designer, I always like to make certain things look my way instead of what I get out of the box.

I'm also aware that with the next release there will be a lot of template and CSS changes. Is this the reason that most of the sites I see running Xenforo have almost the same default style running with just minor color changes? or are the templates hard to understand?

My last question is whether there is a script or addon where I can import my forums from vb4 to Xenforo?

Since this is my first post, I would like to also mention that you guys have done a very nice job with the front end design of this product. Very simple, fast, and to the point.

thank you,
Sean
You're going to love the template system, it is probably the easiest I've used to date.

Top Bottom