XF 2.1 Template error: Cannot call method isMemberOf on a non-object (NULL)

thomje114

Hi all,

We're getting this error and I'm not exactly sure where to find the code that's messing up:

Code:
#0 [internal function]: XF\Template\Templater->handleTemplateError()
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(984): trigger_error()
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s16/public/forumer_userbanners.php(101): XF\Template\Templater->method()
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1315): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}()
#4 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1388): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate()
#5 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s16/public/message_macros.php(98): XF\Template\Templater->includeTemplate()
#6 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(701): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}()
#7 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s16/public/post_macros.php(46): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro()
#8 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(701): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}()
#9 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s16/public/thread_view.php(617): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro()
#10 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1315): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}()
#11 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate()
#12 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#13 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(458): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView()
#14 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(440): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView()
#15 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply()
#16 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(58): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render()
#17 src/XF/App.php(2190): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#18 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#19 index.php(20): XF::runApp()
#20 {main}

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Oops, sorry.

Here's the error message:

• ErrorException: Template error: Cannot call method isMemberOf on a non-object (NULL)
  • src/XF/Template/Templater.php:984
  • Generated by: Unknown account
  • May 31, 2020 at 10:58 AM

It seems to be generated by a template that isn't ours. I'm not sure if forumer_userbanners (the name of the problematic template) provides any clues to identify which add-on it is.

It seems to be generated by a template that isn't ours. I'm not sure if forumer_userbanners (the name of the problematic template) provides any clues to identify which add-on it is.

It's a template that we created - which is:

<snipped>

I've looked over everything and I can't figure out why it's throwing errors?

Last edited:
It will be because, at some point, $user isn't an object that contains the isMemberOf method.

Does it work in most cases but occasionally you get this error? If so, then the code might be being called in some contexts where there isn't a $user value.

Dredging up an old post but I'm running into this issue when threads are created from a RSS feed. If I use the RSS feed option 'Post as guest, use name information from feed data.' my widgets aimed at guest throw this error.

If so, then the code might be being called in some contexts where there isn't a $user value.
Shouldn't isMemberOf be available everywhere? How does the site know who is who?

Is there a better way to tell if the person viewing the page is a member of a certain group?

Thank you! I managed to fix the issue - it was a guest post that was causing all the errors. ^_^
What was your fix?

Last edited:
Top Bottom