Template edits vs addons

SelfSufficientMe

Is it generally better to make extra.css or template edits manually than use an addon for the same purpose? For example, to use custom node icons?

When making Template edits the problems could be when upgrading the software or the Style you will lose your edits.
Where with add ons have extra hooks/templates so they should still work when upgrading, unless there is change done to the coding.

When making Template edits the problems could be when upgrading the software or the Style you will lose your edits.
That is incorrect.

Edited templates are not overwritten.
They are marked as outdated, prompting you to deal with them, typically by merging.

And, custom CSS why? Is it because addons make too many query thingies? Or addons that make template edits such as this are unreliable?

Because for someone not used to code (like me) an addon to change icons etc is pretty tempting as it seems easier... But, I'd rather not install another addon if it brings unnecessary load on my forum.

Last edited:
Still Template Modification works very well for me compare to template edits.
(/admin.php?template-modifications/ need debug mode enable to add/modify)

One scenario, you have almost 100 template edits then if you want to change style, you have to re do all of those edits.
Where as when you're using Template Modifications, changing style is painless ;)
No need to re-do all those custom modifications.
Just re-check if all of them are still applied ;) (y)

Still Template Modification works very well for me compare to template edits.
(/admin.php?template-modifications/ need debug mode enable to add/modify)

One scenario, you have almost 100 template edits then if you want to change style, you have to re do all of those edits.
Where as when you're using Template Modifications, changing style is painless ;)
No need to re-do all those custom modifications.
Just re-check if all of them are still applied ;) (y)

Template modifications should only be used by developers and add-on developers, though.

Thanks guys! I'll probably go down the path of custom css rather than an addon for most types of changes concerning design/style then. Cheers :)

I'm fairly sure that Template modifications via addons are also the only sane way to export and import any non-trivial number of template edits between XenForo installs.

Top Bottom