Implemented Template diff comparison indicator / editor

Trombones13

I don't know about IPB, but in vBulletin, if you've edited a template, you're able to click "View Original" to see what changes are made. I've been missing this function as I've been editing on XF, particularly when going back and trying to see what I've actually changed in the template. The View Original option would highlight what parts of the code you've added or subtracted from the original, making it easy to compare the original and the current versions at a glance. I think that adding that option would make it much easier for style developers and those tweaking their templates for other various reasons. :)

Upvote 16
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I beleive you're asking for the differences to be shown between the templates.

This was raised before and I believe the general consensus was an external editor is better suited to this.

Ya thats what i meant. Quit hard to explain for me, since i am no native english.
Thanks for the Answer. And... Is anything planned in this direction?

Title edited :)

I'm not sure if you're aware but Notepad++ has a great file compare feature which does exactly this.
I know this is a suggestion for the core software but in the meantime/if it doesn't get included, just thought I'd let you know this is possible.

View attachment 7768

Do you know of anything for a Mac that does the same thing?

It would be neat if changes to templates can be highlighted, so that the designer can see what have been changed. I guess this will save the designer a lot of time.

Changed templates are already indicated in the list.

Or do you mean highlight the actual template content?

I would recommend using a program which allows files to be compared, Notepad++ for example.

Changed templates are already indicated in the list.

Or do you mean highlight the actual template content?

I would recommend using a program which allows files to be compared, Notepad++ for example.

What I mean mean is highlight the actual template content. I find myself copy and paste repeatedly into software such as Notepadd++ when doing template modification. Most of the time it is a change of one or 2 lines, yet it is difficult to find by just looking at it (some of the templates are very long). If comparison is done between the parent template, changes can be detected.

Notepad++ allows you to compare two files - Plugins -> Compare -> Compare or Alt+D

I copy the modified template to Notepad++, then revert the template and copy it to a new tab in Notepad++, then compare the two.

Notepad++ allows you to compare two files - Plugins -> Compare -> Compare or Alt+D

I copy the modified template to Notepad++, then revert the template and copy it to a new tab in Notepad++, then compare the two.
Yep that is exactly what I was about to suggest. Notepad++ is a must have.

This would help me a lot, :D
Although, for now I just have a topic in my private forum in my xenForo board with notes on everything that I've changed, ;)