Talkouya.com - Ouya, the upcoming gaming console for $99!

It's a nice clean style but I think you should give it some customization and make your style stand out from the crowd.

1. Change the blue text/links throughout the forum
  2. Customise the Navigation area.
  3. Re-think the design of the logo (add in an image) giving the area some perspective and character.
  4. Change the navigation trigger icon (resides inside the breadcrumb container).
  5. modify the .sectionheaders (they're still default colour) also .sectionfooters border-bottom
  6. Improve upon the node icons (re-design, recolour).
Overall the foundations are there and as stated the style is clean but with a little custom images and some colour changes (corrections) you'll be giving your site a nice facelift and making it stand out.

Re-think the design of the logo (add in an image) giving the area some perspective and character.
Shelley, you know I like you a lot. :love: But I'm going to respectfully disagree with this because another OUYA Forum is soaring regardless of how um... rough it seems. The logo, in fact is pretty forgettable over there than what TalkOuya has right now.

However on the other hand, I think that TalkOuya can play on console's design in some sort of way. Like, how the controller seems to take cues from PlayStation by colored buttons - The O.U.Y.A. letters have different colors. PLAY ON THAT.

Why are you making a community based on something that might or might not even exist?

The design could also use some work to give more of a "OUYA/Android" feel.

350 total posts is soaring alright... :rolleyes:
Okay, let's play sarcasm.

Let me explain something to you. I know what I'm talking about.

140 total posts against 360 total posts... Hell yeah, I'm saying it's soaring. And most likely, that site, that particular site - is rising in visits and uniques because it is a niche website. Not because of the subject, but because of the domain name.
Because by creating the community now it has potential to become an authority site on the subject if the site is well developed. Effort now, payoff later.
This person says it perfectly. OUYAForum dot com has a really strong domain name.

Where they lose is the site design. But that won't matter because of the turf.

Want examples? In April of 2010, BlackOpsForum was born and went on to become one of the fastest growing Black Ops forum on the internet with around 30,000 members by the time it was sold to a new owner. Few months later, it was sold again, and this time, there was a domain change. MW3Forum is the name of the site now.

Not to be outdone, last November, a new Call of Duty title was rumored to be Black Ops 2, so the same guy that bought and built BlackOpsForum in the first place created a new COD site called BlackOps2Forum, and it's rising every day. By the time that Black Ops 2 was revealed, the site blew up like a bomb. Currently, it's at 3,000+ members.

Niche sites can either soar, or die off a slow death. But like Kevin says, you can make an effort to make that niche site into an authority site, it pays off handsomely later.

Although, TalkOuya isn't an ideal name for a website (from a marketing standpoint), in my opinion. Even though that I think the name sounds good out loud. Jelly has an opportunity to take that name and turn it into an authority site, a brandable site, and become a large website. Let me put it this way, a lot of people would not dare to buy a domain like OnLiveFans, but the owner, Ed, did. And guess what? He turned the site from zero to stardom in a short amount of time because of his quick action - OnLiveFans was built on an early lead, and has gone to become a website with 12,000+ members. It became one of the most authoritive OnLive website on the internet - A lot of the OnLive staff post there to lend their expertise into the site by answering questions about OnLive. Because, the company itself does not have a forum.

So, by the end of the day, niche sites can soar. And it's an important market. I attended ForumCon 2012 two months ago, and major companies are saying the same thing.

I know the navigation hard to take on, but take the challenge! Maybe it's just because I've been with xenforo from the start but I'm sick and tired of that navigation lol :).

Great clean elements otherwise though :)

Because by creating the community now it has potential to become an authority site on the subject if the site is well developed. Effort now, payoff later.
But correct me if I'm wrong, OUYA will be released in 2013. Chances are it might not even be a huge success as the graphics aren't really that great, you can compare it to the older gen systems such as the xBox. So holding off a xF licnece for the next several months isn't really productive, plus you have hosting to pay for too, you could easily have waited till early 2013 when people could have actually had some solid details about it. But it's your call.

But correct me if I'm wrong, OUYA will be released in 2013. Chances are it might not even be a huge success as the graphics aren't really that great, you can compare it to the older gen systems such as the xBox. So holding off a xF licnece for the next several months isn't really productive, plus you have hosting to pay for too, you could easily have waited till early 2013 when people could have actually had some solid details about it. But it's your call.
Looks like you skipped over my post, and ignored history.

An early lead is better than opening the forum 6 months before the game or console (which is the case here) comes out. OnLiveFans did the same exact thing. BlackOpsForum was done 3-6 months in advance. BlackOps2Forum on the other hand was done a whole year before the game comes out.

And they do have solid details about OUYA right now. Not a lot of information, but some solid information.

Finally, OUYA isn't targeting the console kings. In fact, it wants a piece of the digital distribution, cloud gaming pie. I wrote an article specifically about this... "I think we have it all wrong about OUYA."

Looks like you skipped over my post, and ignored history.

An early lead is better than opening the forum 6 months before the game or console (which is the case here) comes out. OnLiveFans did the same exact thing. BlackOpsForum was done 3-6 months in advance. BlackOps2Forum on the other hand was done a whole year before the game comes out.

And they do have solid details about OUYA right now. Not a lot of information, but some solid information.

Finally, OUYA isn't targeting the console kings. In fact, it wants a piece of the digital distribution, cloud gaming pie. I wrote an article specifically about this... "I think we have it all wrong about OUYA."
Those were already well established brand names that were backed by millions of dollars of advertising, but that also doesn't guarantee anything. Not every super hit franchise has a established forum or needs one. From your sig I can see that as well, (no offense intended)

Possibly the biggest downfall of OUYA is the financing part, are they going to spend that money which is about $8.5 million on development, production & administration or that 60 second advert for a few days?

These days you can hardly make a game for $8m on this gen, yet alone a powerful system that can satisfy millions of gamers.

Those were already well established brand names that were backed by millions of dollars of advertising, but that also doesn't guarantee anything. Not every super hit franchise has a established forum or needs one. From your sig I can see that as well, (no offense intended)
Call of Duty has a 20 million user market cap. On average, their fanbase is around 19 to 22 million copies sold. Now, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 sold 3 million units worldwide. As a niche site, you can only pick up so much. The niche died off because of the numerous problems the original game was plagued by. I would know because an update to the original game came out, and the site did not soar. In fact, it died a slow death. The worst part is, there was even a PSVita version. I was expecting the traffic to pick up at PSVita launch. Metal Gear, on the other hand, you already know just how strong the brand is. Lots of passionate Metal Gear fans. This particular site has begun to pick up steam; it got viral minutes of me posting MGS5 news. It's been linked to a few times, so I think I carved myself a new niche. :) I feel a bright future for the site. Halo is also a brand you should know by now that is a international mega-brand.

All I'm saying is that, no matter the size, it's possible to bank on the thriving sectors.

Top Bottom