Taking a step backwards to move forward?

Russ

Has anyone come to a decision in their life when you need to take a step back to hopefully move forward with things?

Long story short, the job I'm at now, I am miserable; miserable but well paid for what I do. I just got accepted onto a new job where I'd be taking somewhat of a pay cut and I'm on the fence about it.

I know you adapt to the income you bring in however my minds racing - do I take the new job with the ability to move farther in the company quicker with less pay, or stick it out in the dead water job I'm in hoping it will get better.

Just curious of others since this is somewhat of a business related forum :)

I assume you've tried everything possible to make your current job enjoyable?

Personally, I would take the lower pay and enjoy my work rather than do something I don't want to do every day.

My friend has just done the same, quit his old job as senior distribution manager for a company, amazing pay, but he hated the work. Now he works self employed, and after 6 months of hard work, he earns a little less than before but enjoys his job.

If you get scared about the idea of your job satisfaction not changing at all in the next 5 years ... never mind the pay cut.
Time to move on.
Easy choice.
Especially if you think you'll be more at ease with the new job.

I quit a well paid job many years ago for similar reasons.
At the time I had no new job to go to and a mortgage, so it was a very stressful time.

I worked out my 4 weeks notice and on my last day I secured a contract.

I never looked back after that.

We've all been there. Don't second guess yourself. Nobody knows what the future brings. You're better off in a position where you're happier and feel a greater sense of sanity and stability. The days of a company's management team having a sense of loyalty to the people helping pay their salaries by retaining them for the long term are long gone. They will certainly give you no guarantees and could just as well show you the door tomorrow with nothing more than a laudatory speech and a hollow thank you for your past efforts.

It seems like you have to figure out for yourself which place will allow you to continue swimming with your head above the water. Best of luck and stay positive. ;)

I work in a unionized company where pay is based on years of service, not quality of work. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that show up to my office every day and tick off another day on their retirement calendar. Its impossible to motivate them to do anything, and there are no consequences for sitting at your desk and literally doing nothing all day.

It would be nice if these people who are so unhappy to be there, yet show up every day, just left and found something else more to their liking. It really hurts a company more having someone who is miserable to be there. It is hard to leave a good paying job with the possibility of a healthy retirement package when you have bills, and a family to feed, which is why they all stick it out.

Hopefully you can find your balance and take into consideration the happiness of those you work with. It really is a drag working with someone who is at the stage you are(unless its not affecting your performance, or attitude at work, in which case, carry on until you figure it out)

If you're miserable at your current job, despite being well paid - then I doubt it will change. More of the same there.

What motivates you? Do you have to have some form of job satisfaction or can you just go in day after day and go through the same motions just to get paid?

Are you self-motived and do you take great pride in your work? Can you work with people who don't feel the same way?

It is surprising too, how many good people are held back because the company structure is built around one or two key people who are not able to see potential in others or are not flexible and open to new ideas. You'll pretty much never get past them - ever!!!

It sounds to me like you already know what you want to do - you just needs a gentle push in the right direction ... ;)

Good luck in your new post!!! Ha ha ha :)

That's one of life's hardest challenges, you're in a job that pays so well, very secure, on paper it's the best thing since sliced bread and everyone says how lucky you are. But you don't enjoy it, and you get stuck in a rut. That can bring huge pressure on yourself because you feel damned if you do and damned if you don't. Fear of the future is a huge barrier.

I honestly think that being able to take the plunge and give up a well paid (but unhappy) job and lifestyle is something that comes easier as you get older. I guess because you're more aware that life is short.

For me, the pursuit of happiness is the goal, not money. However if you'd asked me a decade ago it would have been money, money and money :)

Do it Russ. Imagine yourself in a few years after you take the plunge, better job and a happier person.

I think there are a few more guys around here who walked away from well paid jobs too ;)
Golden handcuff they said.
I'm in high finance sector (Wall Street) so when I said well-paid, that means several hundred K to millions a year. And I know so many who are miserable in this line of job because it's extremely stressful. Most people don't stay for a long time and they move from job to job fairly frequently.

And from finance, anywhere you go to, it surely will be a pay cut, in many cases more than half. But I have seen a few that moves to tech/startup/non-profit and they are very happy with the decision.

If you are miserable at work, no amount of money will justify doing it every day. It's a no brainer to me. Walk away and be happy. I did that and have my own business so I do what I preach.

I'm with these guys. Happiness with your work is usually more fulfilling than the extra pay you may just use to squander on material things you don't really need :)

Has anyone come to a decision in their life when you need to take a step back to hopefully move forward with things?

Long story short, the job I'm at now, I am miserable; miserable but well paid for what I do. I just got accepted onto a new job where I'd be taking somewhat of a pay cut and I'm on the fence about it.

I know you adapt to the income you bring in however my minds racing - do I take the new job with the ability to move farther in the company quicker with less pay, or stick it out in the dead water job I'm in hoping it will get better.

Just curious of others since this is somewhat of a business related forum :)
I will answer with a story from my own life. I hope it helps.

I had just left the military and had my first civilian job for as a Unix engineer for a major investment company, so major that on any given day, 40% of the Dow Jone transactions came through our servers. And I worked for an ex-Green Beret. The man knew how to push those still fresh "the mission comes first" buttons.

Given that my first few years of marriage were spent running around the world, never being home for more than a two weeks at a time, it wasn't a good marital prospect to have a job - no, a boss - that demanded long hours, let alone trying to prove my worth in the civilian world.

To this day, I jokingly say that the three years I spend with that company was the longest decade of my life. However, there is a lot of truth in it too. My last year with them, I worked on average 80 hours a week, often upwards of 100. Being a husband and father? Hell, I was giving up time that I should have spent eating and sleeping. My family and I began growing apart and my marriage was now at risk.

This was our seventh year of marriage and nearly our last. Part of entering civilian life was to be home more, to be a part of my family's life. I was blowing that big time. I was earning a living, but I wasn't living and I sure as hell wasn't happy.

We went to one marriage counseling session - one was all it took. After a couple of hours of couples and individual assessment, the counselor's assessment was simple: get rid of the job and you'll be fine.

I quit the next day, which was December 14th, 1998, 11 days before Christmas. I didn't have another job offer. I hadn't even been looking. I was lucky though, because two weeks earlier, they had paid out some pretty substantial year-end bonuses, which held us over until I did find a job in January. We had nothing under the tree that year, but we had each other.

Next March will be our 25th anniversary.

So, to answer your question, it depends on what is important to you. I look back at that day as the smartest decision I ever made, but it took courage and faith. Sometimes, when you can't move forward, you had to take a step or two back, to be able to move to a different path that does lead forward. In the end, there is really only one question to ask yourself - are you happy? The older I get, the more I come to realize that life is far too short to live it unhappy.

Good luck and I will pray for you.

Top Bottom