• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

TaigaChat - AJAX shoutbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi HJ. I'll reply in reverse order because it seems easier :) For steps 4/5/6 you seem to be ok.

Step 3a, in the Admin Control Panel (ACP) select Appearance tab, then Templates. Please be careful here as one small misclick in a template and your forums can get quite screwy. Go slow. It is highly recommended you do all your template edits in a child structure, not the Default nor your main style.

Child style created.

Step 2, in the ACP select Home tab, then Install Add-on. Either browse to the xml file on your pc, or type the path to the file on your server, then click Install Add-on.

Got the following error:
Server Error

call_user_func(Dark_TaigaChat_Install::install) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 214
  3. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 169
  4. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 180
  5. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstall() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  6. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  7. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/virtual/multiples.com/webroot/htdocs/orgasmforum/admin.php at line 13
What's next, please?

Thanks VERY much for your help!

Thanks... Yeah I got confused in Oracle's reply to my previous post where he said:
select all the contents (folders js, library, etc) then drag and drop them into your /community or whatever you named your root folder. All the folders and files will then go to their appropriate place. The library folder will nest inside your existing library folder on your server, as it should, and so forth.
It sounds to me if I drag and drop the 3 folders you provided into my forum root they would OVERRIDE the default folders by the same name.
Did he mean to say drop the CONTENTS of the 3 folders you provided (folders js, library, etc) into the associated EXISTING folders js, library, (etc.)?
So the default FOLDERS don't get overwritten, just updated with the contents of the folders by that name that you provided? THIS is the sentence that is confusing: The library folder will nest inside your existing library folder on your server, as it should, and so forth.
That sounds like after I drag and drop your 3 folders into my forum root they will magically nest inside of the folders by that name that are already there. That doesn't make sense to me.

Just drop the folders into the root, or do as you said and upload the contents of each to the relevant folders. Same result either way

That sounds like after I drag and drop your 3 folders into my forum root they will magically nest inside of the folders by that name that are already there. That doesn't make sense to me.

That is exactly what happens! It's the way Windows works.

If you look at your host server, you will see your "community" folder (or whatever you named the folder where you uploaded your XF software). Inside that folder you will see folders named "js", "library" and "styles". Now open your "upload" folder found in your TaigaChat.zip. You will see those same folders. If you ftp those folders from your local pc to your server and drop them in your "community" folder, then the "js" folder you are uploading will realize there is already a "js" folder in existence. It will then drop the new "js" contents into the existing folder and all the contained files and folders will go to their correct places. If the files/folders don't exist, they will be copied. If the files/folders do exist, then the new files will over-write the old ones. This is by design and all your XF add-ons will work in this manner.

That is exactly what happens darlin. When you drag the folders over, if you get a prompt to overwrite the js, library, and styles folders, select yes. Everything that is in those folders will automatically make their way to the existing folders. :)

That is exactly what happens! It's the way Windows works.

Hmm... I'm running a MAC OS... I >hope< it's the same. :)

That is exactly what happens darlin. When you drag the folders over, if you get a prompt to overwrite the js, library, and styles folders, select yes. Everything that is in those folders will automatically make their way to the existing folders. :)

Sonofagun! Seems like it used to be that if you drop a folder onto an existing folder it would replace the folder in its entirety, so that anything that WAS in the prior folder that is not also in the new folder, and exactly the same, the prior folder's unique contents would be lost. So from what you two are saying, that is NOT the case... the new contents would just be added to the existing folders of the same name. That's pretty smart, for Windows! :rolleyes:

:)

Sonofagun! Seems like it used to be that if you drop a folder onto an existing folder it would replace the folder in its entirety, so that anything that WAS in the prior folder that is not also in the new folder, and exactly the same, the prior folder's unique contents would be lost. So from what you two are saying, that is NOT the case... the new contents would just be added to the existing folders of the same name. That's pretty smart, for Windows! :rolleyes:

THAT only happens if you're replacing the contents of the folder with the same thing... like upgrading your software.

I should correct myself on one point. It's not a "Windows" thing so much as a general function of how operating systems work. Most likely your server is Linux and the file/folder system is the same in this respect. It's been a LONG time since I used a Mac but I would *guess* it works in the same manner.

Be warned, there is at least one FTP program for the Mac which will delete the existing folder contents. It doesn't merge, it replaces.

I forget which one but one member on here had an issue with it.
It may have even been a setting in the FTP program configuration.

Be warned, there is at least one FTP program for the Mac which will delete the existing folder contents. It doesn't merge, it replaces.

I ran into this issue before.. I know transmit and forklift gives you an option to override or merge content

Youch, well there ya go, be careful.

Thanks for the warning Brogan... I THOT that yellow light in the back of my head was going off for SOME reason!
Just to play it safer I made a copy of the default version of the 3 folders and parked them on the desktop.
RE: the ftp client I've used Filezilla for years with no probs. We'll see how we did on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom