1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet or not tablet ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Allan, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

I wonder if you use a tablet in addition to your computer?

And if so, for what purpose and what tablet do you use?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I never saw the need for one until I bought one.

Now I couldn't do without it.
    euantor, Allan, Luke F and 3 others like this.
  3. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

Been using a iPad 2 for around 3 years now. Like Brogan I didn't think I needed it, more or less got it to see how usable it would be in my offline business. Turns out that it ended up being extremely useful for calendar events, customer list and invoice/estimates. It was so handy, my father (73 at the time) and business partner ended up getting one and uses it daily. He always says "Why did I wait so long to get one of these!".
    Allan and mikelowrey like this.
  4. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I use a Nexus 7.

I mainly use it when I'm lying in bed and can't get to sleep... It works just as well as my laptop for browsing.

I also use it for random games... Oh, and for checking some stuff on the internet when my laptop is busy.
    Markos and Allan like this.
  5. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

Using tablet for browsing in bed and watching TV and streaming movies. At work I use it for reading documents at meetings.
    Allan likes this.
  6. Garamond

Garamond Well-Known Member

Bought a tablet three times, sold it every time. They're in a genre between the phone and the laptop, and it never suited my needs. Thumbs down.
    Allan likes this.
  7. Brogan

Haven't used my laptop since I got the tablet.

I even took the tablet with me last year when I was on vacation, instead of the laptop.
    Allan likes this.
  8. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

I agree totally with you.
    Allan likes this.
  9. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I didn't see the need for a tablet either until I bought my Nexus 7. Now I use it all the time, it's so much more convenient to use whilst sat on the sofa in front of the TV instead of a laptop on my knees.

I still use a laptop for work purposes and when doing admin stuff on my forums (installing add-ons, cos tweaks etc). For more 'casual' stuff I'll use my tablet.
    Allan likes this.
  10. Brogan

Come on, own up! You've all done it.
    Markos, wedgar, Allan and 1 other person like this.
  11. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

If only I could say that was a lie... :oops:
    Markos, Allan and CyclingTribe like this.
  12. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I got an iPad Mini primarily to compliment my array of other iOS devices. its now really nothing more to me then a useful tool to troubleshoot and test forum behavior on mobile/tablet devices. I use my iPhone for just about any other mobile related activities.
    Allan likes this.
  13. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

I've got one. Barely use it. Just don't see the point of them. Push comes to shove, I'd prefer a small 13" ultrabook with optical drive.
    Allan likes this.
  14. Garamond

Garamond Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. Tablets are for people who just surf the net, if you're going to be just a little bit productive the laptop is lightyears ahead and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.
    OSS 117 and Allan like this.
  15. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

Thank you to review!

BNut what tablet do you use? what size?
  16. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

I've got an iPad. Tablets are great for NetFlix, IMO.
    Allan likes this.
  17. Brogan

I currently use a Samsung Note 10.1.
    Renada and Allan like this.
  18. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

I hesitate precisely between Galaxy Note 10" Edition 2014 (439€ -50€ repaid -> 389€) and Galaxy tab pro 10" Edition 2014 (369€ - 100€ repaid -> 269€)

There is still a big price difference and just for the the stylus, the specifications are identical.

Do you use the stylus really?
  19. Brogan

Hardly ever.

I should also add, if you have a young child, tablets are great for them.
    Far easier to use than a keyboard and mouse.
  20. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

Yes, 2 boys (2 and 6 years).

I have the galaxy note 2 (phone), and it is true that I never used the stylus.