Syndol's Add-ons

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to take a minute to address you all. I only approached @Syndol about taking on one of his projects a few days ago (I will not mention which one because I don't want you all to think that I'm going to show it any favoritism over the rest). I did this for a few reasons:
  • His add ons have a great reputation for being stable and working well.
  • I was interested in making a competing product but figured if he's no longer developing then there's no sense in splitting the market share, making everyone pay full price again for the same functionality, and wasting my time duplicating something that already exists.
His two concerns seemed to be that he always promised you guys "life time support" for no additional cost, and that it'd be unfair for one add on to live on without the rest. Thus, I have decided to take over all of the add ons instead of just the one I showed initial interest in (lets face it, they're all great/useful add ons). As for the support, I am not trying to kill you guys with a renewal fee but you do have to understand that these projects do cost us developers a lot of time. As for the multiple licenses, there will be a discount for additional license, I do not know what the prices will be yet (I'm leaning towards 50% of the current sale price). I'd be interested in what you guys think is fair.

Syndol and I both want this transition to go very smoothly. I recently started re-arranging my support forum to make it more organized (this was merely a coincidence, I had no plans to reach out to Syndol when I started doing it). I plan to use my http://xenmods.com domain to categorize suggestions, keep track of bugs, etc...

As Syndol said I'm not only taking over support, I am going to be updating. I'll be fixing bugs, answering questions, and trying my best to implement new features and your suggestions. For suggestions I will use a similar method as XenForo does, I'll ask you to post in a board, I'll try to use 'likes' to gauge interest, and implement the top ones (hopefully).

For distribution I know that Syndol handles everything through email. I will be doing all licensing through my site. I'm switching my existing licenses for my add ons to a new system as well. As far as I'm concerned, all of your licenses are active right now and I will continue to answer questions. You will not be asked to renew your license until I provide an update to each add on individually. To help with this transition, I would like for everyone to register on http://xenmods.com with their XenForo username. If you already have an account and at least one of my add ons, this is not necessary since I've already authenticated your account. The rest of you will most likely receive an email from me to confirm your account (unless you register with the same email that Syndol has on record, in which case I can associate it with no problem).

What you can expect in the near future:

- I already have an update to ConvEss which contains a bug fix and addresses a few typos.
- Ability to suggest features and report bugs on XenMods for these add ons (you guys are free to register at any point, I have already added thread prefixes for all of Syndol's add ons)
- Some revised front-end html/css in a couple of add ons to make them look a little nicer (Syndol's request/suggestion)
- A new feature in the add on I referenced at the start of this post, you'll see which one later.

I will be resuming sales of his add ons as soon as possible (most likely tonight). Together we can make these superb add-ons even better.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to take a minute to address you all. I only approached @Syndol about taking on one of his projects a few days ago (I will not mention which one because I don't want you all to think that I'm going to show it any favoritism over the rest). I did this for a few reasons:
  • His add ons have a great reputation for being stable and working well.
  • I was interested in making a competing product but figured if he's no longer developing then there's no sense in splitting the market share, making everyone pay full price again for the same functionality, and wasting my time duplicating something that already exists.
His two concerns seemed to be that he always promised you guys "life time support" for no additional cost, and that it'd be unfair for one add on to live on without the rest. Thus, I have decided to take over all of the add ons instead of just the one I showed initial interest in (lets face it, they're all great/useful add ons). As for the support, I am not trying to kill you guys with a renewal fee but you do have to understand that these projects do cost us developers a lot of time. As for the multiple licenses, there will be a discount for additional license, I do not know what the prices will be yet (I'm leaning towards 50% of the current sale price). I'd be interested in what you guys think is fair.

Syndol and I both want this transition to go very smoothly. I recently started re-arranging my support forum to make it more organized (this was merely a coincidence, I had no plans to reach out to Syndol when I started doing it). I plan to use my http://xenmods.com domain to categorize suggestions, keep track of bugs, etc...

As Syndol said I'm not only taking over support, I am going to be updating. I'll be fixing bugs, answering questions, and trying my best to implement new features and your suggestions. For suggestions I will use a similar method as XenForo does, I'll ask you to post in a board, I'll try to use 'likes' to gauge interest, and implement the top ones (hopefully).

For distribution I know that Syndol handles everything through email. I will be doing all licensing through my site. I'm switching my existing licenses for my add ons to a new system as well. As far as I'm concerned, all of your licenses are active right now and I will continue to answer questions. You will not be asked to renew your license until I provide an update to each add on individually. To help with this transition, I would like for everyone to register on http://xenmods.com with their XenForo username. If you already have an account and at least one of my add ons, this is not necessary since I've already authenticated your account. The rest of you will most likely receive an email from me to confirm your account (unless you register with the same email that Syndol has on record, in which case I can associate it with no problem).

What you can expect in the near future:

- I already have an update to ConvEss which contains a bug fix and addresses a few typos.
- Ability to suggest features and report bugs on XenMods for these add ons (you guys are free to register at any point, I have already added thread prefixes for all of Syndol's add ons)
- Some revised front-end html/css in a couple of add ons to make them look a little nicer (Syndol's request/suggestion)
- A new feature in the add on I referenced at the start of this post, you'll see which one later.

I will be resuming sales of his add ons as soon as possible (most likely tonight). Together we can make these superb add-ons even better.

*Rates 5 stars*

Sad to see you give up the mods syndol, hopefully xenforo catches up on some of their functionality in future, as personally I wont be paying for 4 mods again, xenforo is becoming an expensive habit like cocaine.

From what I understand, you won't be paying for 4 mods again. You'll be contributing a small amount, less than you have already paid, to ensure that the add-ons can continue to be supported and developed. Syndol made a mistake not charging for updates and support. It may have contributed towards him having to leave. Developers need to ensure that the pricing structure they commit themselves to is sustainable. If it is, it will keep them motivated to develop new and existing products, and ultimately that is surely a benefit to everyone.

Right now, the pricing structure that Daniel Hood is introducing is sustainable (and fair to existing customers) and by supporting that you will be helping to ensure that the add-ons are supported and developed on an ongoing basis.

One final point, it is unfair to say that XenForo needs to "catch up". It was true, but I do not think it is now. Bear in mind that not every single feature developed as an add-on is a candidate for the core software. Some features in nearly all add-ons are almost niche and not required by the majority of the customer base.

I'm typing this from my phone so I'll be somewhat brief.

You will not be paying full price again as Chris highlighted. I worked out what I feel is a very nice deal. I am charging a 50% renewal fee for all add ons. If you've had it for over a year, your new license will be that price. If you had it under a year you will get 60% off instead. If you had it under 6 months you get 70% off. If you only had it for less than 3 months I'm doing 80% off. These prices get you a full year. I'm offering an additional 20% off the cart value at check out to people with more than one add on. In other words, even if you had bookmarks, user essentials, mod essentials and conversation essentials for a year already. Your renewal for all of them would be: $58.74. Less than $15 each for a year. That's hardly a cocaine habit (or maybe the cheapest one ever).

Also, I am not making anyone update. If there are issues that need to be fixed. I'll fix them without renewal, you just won't be getting new features. If you choose not to renew, that's fine with me.

Top Bottom