Switching my site from vBulletin

dvduval

So I just found out to go from vBulletin 3.8.4 to 3.8.7 I have to pay them $175, while I could switch to you for $140 it seems. I don't how labor intensive the switch would be. Basically I need to switch my site, pick a free skin, add a logo, and run the importer. Could a good developer do this in 1-2 hours?

How likely would I be in the same situation with xenforo where I have to pay $175 just for a security/maintenance update?

Is the transition pretty easy where moderators, admin and users won't be too confused? Or do I need to plan on working a lot with the settings to get everything right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Could a good developer do this in 1-2 hours?

For your forum, yes. The import itself will probably take 1-2 hours for a forum the size of yours. This thread shows how the import works:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/import-guide.10053/

I am available to help if you encounter any problems.

How likely would I be in the same situation with xenforo where I have to pay $175 just for a security/maintenance update?

Not likely. Of course license fees are subject to change. But I know that the devs prefer annual renewals over flat fees. vB used to have annual renewals, but they switched to flat fees for vB4. XF has an annual renewal like what vB used to have.

Is the transition pretty easy where moderators, admin and users won't be too confused? Or do I need to plan on working a lot with the settings to get everything right?

It's an easy transition. The import from vB to XF is one of the most thorough and trouble-free imports there is. It preserves passwords, permissions, user prefs, everything.

So I just found out to go from vBulletin 3.8.4 to 3.8.7 I have to pay them $175, while I could switch to you for $140 it seems. I don't how labor intensive the switch would be. Basically I need to switch salsaforums.com, pick a free skin, add a logo, and run the importer. Could a good developer do this in 1-2 hours?

Greetings,

First let's talk price. Don't worry, as you've noticed this is a good thing.... XenForo is much more affordable at $140 for a lifetime license. From there it is only $40 per year to continue to get update (1st year is already included). This helps support the project, but also encourages the developers to keep XenForo customers happy (unlike with vBulletin who once they had your money, that was about it). But you're not required to renew and can keep the software forever.

Free? Sound good. While we do have a collection of wide range and well-developed modification at cost, the bulk of all modification, skins, templates, add-ons, and other 3rd party products are free. You need only check out the Resources to confirm what I say is true.

Porting over is a fairly easy process. I would say though that the speed of it all does vary with what kind of server you have, how many post, members, attachments, ect.... This is true with any port over into any software.

Customer service here is very quick and friendly, but is is the community which is always eager to help out (myself included).

If you're worried about poring over yourself... XenForo does offer a service and as dp other members here. Some members, such as myself, will do it for free when time allows.

VERY user-friendly and your members will love it. My community has moved from phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, and XenForo. They seem to like the XenForo the best and honestly, so do I. We currently have almost 300 customizations on a shared host (Resell Account), with over 100,000 post, and the site is still fast (see for yourself, htp://www.SociallyUncensored.eu/forums )

Which brings me to another good point... XenForo uses very little resources. Making it another affordable options as your hosting requirements should be less (typically) and thus saving you long-term. But more importantly, it makes for a fast and easy loading experince for your members.

If you have any other questions.... Please feel free to ask.

So I just found out to go from vBulletin 3.8.4 to 3.8.7 I have to pay them $175, while I could switch to you for $140 it seems. I don't how labor intensive the switch would be. Basically I need to switch salsaforums.com, pick a free skin, add a logo, and run the importer. Could a good developer do this in 1-2 hours?

The install is cake, even from VB, like I came from. The switch will definitely be a good idea! ;)

In keeping on-topic . . .

I too have been using VB for 12 years, and:

1) Does xenForo have anything comparable to vbulletin.ORG , which serves as vbulletin.COM's after market site for hacks and add-on's? Or, is this presently included in the regular xenForo.com site ?

2) With 500,000 posts and 42,000 members, what would be the estimated amount of time to import from VB Version 4.1.11 to xenForo?

3) Would my VB Ver 4.1.11 require any special modifications to work?

4) Is it possible to preserve the current VB forum by changing the url from /forums to something like /forums/VB, so that I can run both forums on our dedicated server, and compare the old VB to the new xenForo?

1) Does xenForo have anything comparable to vbulletin.ORG , which serves as vbulletin.COM's after market site for hacks and add-on's? Or, is this presently included in the regular xenForo.com site ?

2) With 500,000 posts and 42,000 members, what would be the estimated amount of time to import from VB Version 4.1.11 to xenForo?

3) Would my VB Ver 4.1.11 require any special modifications to work?

4) Is it possible to preserve the current VB forum by changing the url from /forums to something like /forums/VB, so that I can run both forums on our dedicated server, and compare the old VB to the new xenForo?

1) No separate site. It's all in the Resource Manager:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/

2) I would estimate 3-4 hours.

3) Nothing special. Just install the vB4 importer:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-4-to-xenforo-importer.256/

4) Yes. That is how you would normally proceed with an import. Install XF in a separate directory alongside vB. Or move vB and put XF in it's place. Same difference.

Yes, that is part of the problem with the site and why I did not directly link. I need a security update, and it seems vbulletin wants $175 for a very minor update. Note that I believe the site to be safe now. I'm real close to making the switch now, and all the thoughtful responses shows you guys care, so thanks for that. I have another forum with about 1 million posts now (dance-forums.com) and salsa forums will be a good test. Then maybe I can move that one too. I also have a third vb forum for my software product (phplinkdirectory.com/forum).

Yes, that is part of the problem with the site and why I did not directly link. I need a security update, and it seems vbulletin wants $175 for a very minor update. Note that I believe the site to be safe now. I'm real close to making the switch now, and all the thoughtful responses shows you guys care, so thanks for that. I have another forum with about 1 million posts now (dance-forums.com) and salsa forums will be a good test. Then maybe I can move that one too. I also have a third vb forum for my software product (phplinkdirectory.com/forum).
XenForo has very secure, safe, and easy to update. And as you have noticed, a lot more cost-effective. With all 3 sites, you could actually start to get a discount on them (they do not have to be all purchased at once for the discount).... So the savings is even more than you expected.

I am fully sure you will discover that XenForo pays for its self.

Sorry to post so much. We do ad serving on one site. Is that something easy to implement on xenforo?
Currently we sell direct banner ad spots on dance-forums.com for example and also text ad spots.
Thanks!

Sorry to post so much. We do ad serving on one site. Is that something easy to implement on xenforo?
Currently we sell direct banner ad spots on dance-forums.com for example and also text ad spots.
Thanks!
Ads are not a problem at all.

XenForo is completely customizable (we has 300 customizations on our site at http://www.sociallyuncensored.eu/forums ) And we even have select text ads viewable only to guest, with hidden ads that automatically generate any time a member post a link to Amazon or eBay, which automatically ads our affiliate code.

Just to give you some idea's.

Top Bottom