Switching hosts & domain name

The Grand Potentate

So we've decided to switch over our domain name and find a new host. I plan on just installing from scratch on the new server and importing the database through cPanel. I was wondering if the database restore from backup is a fairly straightforward operation? Anything I need to be on the lookout for or do to keep the house from burning down?

So we've decided to switch over our domain name and find a new host. I plan on just installing from scratch on the new server and importing the database through cPanel. I was wondering if the database restore from backup is a fairly straightforward operation? Anything I need to be on the lookout for or do to keep the house from burning down?
First... set up the new server BEFORE you cancel the current one. Do everything on an alternative hostname for it (just set up a temp DNS entry of dev.myhost.com where myhost.com is your domain name). That way, in case the backup you made from the original is corrupted you can go back and grab it again. A couple of folks (including me the first time I did it) had bad backups of the DB (I had used phpmyadmin to export it) and it didn't import cleanly... and I had already cancelled my other service (hostgator shared) so I had lost access to it. I ended up starting again from scratch.
Of course, if both have cpanel, it should be a simple matter of transferring it via cPanel (I don't use panels - strict SSH for me please - except for that first time at HG, and that's what made me decide to go back to a command line interaction).
Other than that, the transfer is easy-peasy. I've done it several times (moving from HG to a VPS, then to a dedicated server that did all my forums, then moving a couple of the forums to another dedicated server).

If you are switching domain names, then you have it even easier. Main thing is to remember to change the ACP -> Basic Board Information -> Board URL to the new domain and any associated email addresses you have used (if they are tied to the domain).

Yeah, I want to run them parallel for a few days to make sure it works out. I figured finding another host who used cPanel would be the easiest way of going about things.

Yeah, I want to run them parallel for a few days to make sure it works out. I figured finding another host who used cPanel would be the easiest way of going about things.
I've never done a cPanel -> cPanel transfer but it appears to be easy to do. I have backups scattered all over the U.S. of my sites so I just end up (if I need to) pulling them from there. Using a panel would be easier - but I like to know the nuts & bolts of the setup.... maybe because I'm partially nuts! :p
Honestly, it's not hard to do and if you run into any problems, there are LOTS of folks here that are willing to help out. Folks like @Adam Howard come to mind real quick.

Pretty much why I started this thread - try to get ahead of the curve on this one. God knows I've ****ed up more than enough up until this point.

I'm shopping for a new host now and then I'll get started with the setup.

You said something that has confused me in this statement

plan on just installing from scratch on the new server
That's easy.
and importing the database through cPanel.
What would you be importing if you're starting over?

You said something that has confused me in this statement

That's easy.

What would you be importing if you're starting over?
I think he'd just be importing the DB... but if it were me (and my current site wasn't snafu'd) I'd just do a full transfer.

I did a cPanel -> cPanel transfer and it ported over all accounts and databases and settings without me having to interfere with it later.

I think he'd just be importing the DB... but if it were me (and my current site wasn't snafu'd) I'd just do a full transfer.
I got that. But if he's starting over, there would be nothing to import.

Now if he meant to say, that he's moving host and wants to import the current site into the new host... That is fairly easy to do, yes.

cPanel actually has a built in automated option for that (it can also be done manually if needed though)

I got that. But if he's starting over, there would be nothing to import.

Not if he meant to say, that he's moving host and wants to import the current site into the new site... That is fairly easy to do, yes.
Functionally, yes. By starting over, I meant with a fresh forum install. I don't want to lose all the posts that we've already got.

Functionally, yes. By starting over, I meant with a fresh forum install. I don't want to lose all the posts that we've already got.
So again, you wouldn't be doing a fresh install, per say. You would be importing your current site to your new host.

I'm just trying to clarify that so others who read this would understand. :)

You will have to be sure do duplicate all the add-ons. Is there a particular reason you are wanting the forum script installed from scratch?
Basically what you are wanting is just an importation of the DB into the new server.
More work than just doing a direct cPanel -> cPanel transfer of the site.

So again, you wouldn't be doing a fresh install, per say. You would be importing your current site to your new host.

I'm just trying to clarify that so others who read this would understand. :)

Well, I suppose both options are on the table. I could do the full import like @Tracy Perry mentioned, or I could do a clean software install and just import the database.
You will have to be sure do duplicate all the add-ons. Is there a particular reason you are wanting the forum script installed from scratch?
Basically what you are wanting is just an importation of the DB into the new server.
True, it'll be more work. I'm a computer guy. I've never had a full harddrive to harddrive clone go well so I suppose I was thinking the same way here. Also, I didn't know you could export the whole website until you mentioned it.

Anybody know - if I export the database, can I rename it to the new domain name without causing any problems?

Wouldn't call that more work. It's very straight forward.

The closest to a "fresh install", without starting over, would be to upload the database, the original xenforo files, the add-ons and styles you are using, and the /data/ and /internal_data/

I did this for someone who had a ton of junk on their site. Lots of add-ons and styles that they had un-installed, but never got to removing them.

But in that case a direct cPanel import would not be the way to go.

I want to clarify something....

I think you're misusing the term, "fresh install".

A fresh install is what you get when you first install XenForo. There are no post, no threads, no users, no add-ons, and no styles. That is what it means by "fresh install" (or clean install).

And so there would be no reason to export and import a fresh install. It would be a lot easier to just install a new copy.

Does this make sense?

Now, what I understand is you are trying to relocate your site.

You have post, threads, members, and I would assume maybe add-ons and maybe styles to go with it. That would not be a fresh install, that would a move.

That is when you move (copy) your files and export and import your database else where.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but rather inform you, because these things seem to confuse newbies. And they end up reading post like this and quoting someone and telling someone else they want a fresh install, thinking it means one thing, when it really means another.

So what you want is to move your site. You're not looking for a fresh install, unless you want both... ie.... To import your current site onto your new host and start up another site (or test site).

Wouldn't call that more work. It's very straight forward.

The closest to a "fresh install", without starting over, would be to upload the database, the original xenforo files, the add-ons and styles you are using, and the /data/ and /internal_data/

I did this for someone who had a ton of junk on their site. Lots of add-ons and styles that they had un-installed, but never got to removing them.

But in that case a direct cPanel import would not be the way to go.
Exactly... that's why I said if everything was fine then cPanel -> cPanel is less work. If there is a lot of add-ons that had been installed and then removed (but the files are still there) then a clean install would be the way to go. Even if moving the /styles over there can still be some junk in there from some of the add-ons that would need to be cleaned up.
Main thing if doing a fresh script install is to make sure he has a complete list of all the current add-ons installed that are active so he can replicate them.

Anybody know - if I export the database, can I rename it to the new domain name without causing any problems?

I'm sure you can. Since I'm not dependent on cPanel and any "naming routines" it has I just name them something so that I know what they refer to. Like my Two Wheel Demons forum is twd and my Say Apple is jsa. Not dependent upon any domain name.

I want to clarify something....

I think you're misusing the term, "fresh install".
So what you want is to move your site. You're not looking for a fresh install, unless you want both... ie.... To import your current site onto your new host and start up another site (or test site).
That's what was throwing me a bit. Fresh install to me indicates no data in new site. That's one of the reasons I commented that if everything was working why not just do the cPanel -> cPanel move. I can see doing a clean install and then replicating the add-ons and importing the old DB if someone had installed a lot of add-ons that they had removed and didn't do the cleanup of the directories after removing them. Those tend to build up (and yes, I've got to go in and do it on one of my first xenForo forums I set up - just to busy right now to worry about it and I still have 983GB free on that system).

Exactly... that's why I said if everything was fine then cPanel -> cPanel is less work. If there is a lot of add-ons that had been installed and then removed (but the files are still there) then a clean install would be the way to go. Even if moving the /styles over there can still be some junk in there from some of the add-ons that would need to be cleaned up.

Main thing if doing a fresh script install is to make sure he has a complete list of all the current add-ons installed that are active so he can replicate them.
That would be called a refresh.
:coffee:

I've done a "refresh" for 3 people so far.

That would be called a refresh.
:coffee:

I've done a "refresh" for 3 people so far.
Not for me - it's a clean install... I start out with the full monty package and then selectively move what I needed over and then import my DB. ;)
Of course, I've gone beyond what a lot of forum owners are at and have absolutely no problems with getting into the guts of the system. I figure if I screw it up I can always fix it. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom