Switching hosts & domain name

Not for me - it's a clean install... I start out with the full monty package and then selectively move what I needed over and then import my DB. ;)
Of course, I've gone beyond what a lot of forum owners are at and have absolutely no problems with getting into the guts of the system. I figure if I screw it up I can always fix it. :ROFLMAO:
To you it maybe, but it's misleading to the newbies who I and others end up helping. :cautious:

It's like going into a restaurant, telling the waiter (server) you want a salad, and expecting a burger. The terminology / wording is important. :whistle:

To you it maybe, but it's misleading to the newbies who I and others end up helping. :cautious:

It's like going into a restaurant, telling the waiter (server) you want a salad, and expecting a burger. The terminology / wording is important. :whistle:
It's just the way I do them... even if I help somebody else out. That way when I do it and I know it's correct when I am done. Only difference is I don't have to upload each of the individual add-ons - I just use from their existing structure for them. Main reason I've gotten to doing it that way (on a working site) is I have come across an add-on or two that had been customized to perform certain ways that the default package did not have. I have several of those installed myself. Doing a clean install and then copying the in-use add-ons was easier for me and I didn't/don't have to worry about pranging their customizations.

I don't even consider a "refresh" as an install - but I guess you could depending on the way you did it.

There is either a move or an install. Otherwise you are "cleaning" up the mess from an install that has been moved. :p

It's just the way I do them... even if I help somebody else out. That way when I do it and I know it's correct when I am done. Only difference is I don't have to upload each of the individual add-ons - I just use from their existing structure for them. Main reason I've gotten to doing it that way (on a working site) is I have come across an add-on or two that had been customized to perform certain ways that the default package did not have. I have several of those installed myself. Doing a clean install and then copying the in-use add-ons was easier for me and I didn't/don't have to worry about pranging their customizations.

I don't even consider a "refresh" as an install - but I guess you could depending on the way you did it.

There is either a move or an install. Otherwise you are "cleaning" up the mess from an install that has been moved. :p

There are two kinds of "refresh". The kind with things and the kind without thing.

Backup everything
Make exact list of what you need
Delete everything except for /data/ and /internal_data/ and config.php

Upload xenoro (no install)
Upload add-ons (no install) *
Upload styles (no install) *
Upload /data/
Upload /internal_data/

Import database if relocating, if not relocating, you should be good to go.

* notes with things

There are two kinds of "refresh". The kind with things and the kind without thing.
Upload xenoro (no install)
Upload add-ons (no install) *
Upload styles (no install) *
Upload /data/
Upload /internal_data/

Second is what I do typically.

For me, a refresh is just taking my site that i have archived from when I first set it up (before installation of all add-ons) and renaming my current directory structure to /var/www/twd-{date} and then extracting my original back to it and copying the add-ons I need over from the renamed directory (along the /data /internal_data and /styles). For the styles I always keep an exported copy of the .XML on my local drive and in my /home/{user} directory on the server in case I ever prang something so bad I can't recover it.

That's why (and what you and I both agree on) that it is VERY important for the end-user (client if you prefer) to be exact in what they are wanting done.
Something like:
I'm moving to a new host
I want to keep my existing users, posts, style(s) and add-ons
I've got a lot of add-ons that I no longer use and I want everything left from those cleaned out

Sorry fellas, I suppose my personal computer technology terminology got our wires crossed.

So do you all recommend one way or another?

How about hosting options? I'm with MDD now. Looking for a basic (read: relatively cheap) shared setup that uses cPanel and has good customer support.

good day!
Currently my forum lives at /public_html/forum/
I decided to change domain name, which happens to be subdomain with folder /public_html/newdomain/

I'm thinking about moving all files from /public_html/forum/ into /public_html/newdomain/forum/

Since it is same database everything should just work, right?

How can I move my installation to a different directory?
Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory (or rename the directory). You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.
Note that redirection will be required to ensure any existing links continue to work.
For example, if the installation is moved from the /community directory to the root, the following line needs to be added to the .htaccess file, after the default XenForo rewrite rules:
Code:
RewriteRule ^community/(.*)?$ /$1 [R=301,L]

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180445

Reactions: Jak
I went ahead and tried to do the full site transfer through my new host and it has been a complete disaster. I knew I should have just reinstalled everything and then used the backed up database.

Now my database is somehow locked out of my control and I can't rename it, nor is it working under my old site. I have to wait on tech support to get back to me at this point. Fun times all around.

Yeah. It was just a huge pain in the ass. I ended up getting locked out of the databases because the hosting company didn't switch everything properly. It all got resolved within a day or so.

Top Bottom