Suspicious User - Not Sure What to Do

Matthew Hutchinson

I launched a new forum last week and someone signed up on Sunday. Since then, they've seldom left, and there isn't enough activity to warrant their ongoing presence. I originally chalked it up to their having maybe fallen asleep but XF shows them visiting from several different IP addresses. Should I do anything or just keep waiting to see what they try doing?

If that is suspicious, or for anything that is suspicious, I just put them in a usergroup that needs their first post moderating.

No worries there. All new users' first few posts must be approved by me before they can post freely.
You can spam clean it without ban, wiping out any private messages and profile posts it might have sent. Also check the profile for spam links in signature or any of the "about" fields.

I asked because I had the same issue. It was PM spam (same as another user posted here), banned, but the bot kept refreshing every 5 minutes and was online for 2 days, with about 400 IPs.

Last edited:
I had a new user like that last week, using around 50 Russian IP addresses in a couple of days, constantly checking the forum home page and no interactions, I just banned the account.

Top Bottom