Surprising IE Stats

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
I just had a look at Google Analytics for XenForo.com over the past month to see what browser shares we are getting, and I was shocked at the low percentage of Internet Explorer visits we get. I suppose it's to be expected, as most of the visitors here are fairly technically proficient people who understand the benefits of modern browsers?

Screen shot 2011-01-21 at 00.34.00.webp

Still, to see IE being virtually matched by Safari was totally unexpected.

Actually, based on the user base here, I am surprised that it is that high. Must have been people just testing IE ;)

My thoughts exactly...what is with you 8.7% of lamers.. get off that dud browser! :p

My sites being admin resource or Tech user sites have always had a very low % of IE users, but that is really low, very good to see :D

That's great to see.

I am sick of using css hacks for IE and in some cases, conditionals to actually exclude content just so IE can load the rest of the page.

Code:
<!--[if !IE]><!-->
Content which IE users can't see.
<!--<![endif]-->

I was shocked at the low percentage of Internet Explorer visits we get. I suppose it's to be expected, as most of the visitors here are fairly technically proficient people who understand the benefits of modern browsers?
I suspect that as Xenforo goes Stable, the percentage of IE users is likely to increase.
Will be interesting to see that graph in 6 months.

Well, it's hard to say.
Maybe if you are nerdy enough to want a web forum, you are probably not using IE already !

I always used IE... because I thought FF was awful...

But since Chrome has become stable, I have moved over to that.

My assumption for the high IE count (just a guess mind) is that a lot of testing/reports are made by developers that test across the spectrum of browsers which might explain the high IE usage. That's my theory anyway.

Edit: In a way this is actually a good thing in an odd kind of way.

I haven't used IE for a while. Not sure if others experience the same but IE 8 and 9 both crash for me very often. Chrome has quirks but is faster and smoother. Firefox is generally good but has an issue with a memory leak. Not sure if it's plugins but that happens too often. Safari... I don't use Mac products, lol, although I did buy a MacBook for testing purposes...

i stopped using IE in 2006 and since then i am recommending firefox to all of my friends and of course chrome

I am sure a higher percentage of the internet visitor uses IE in the world

I just had a look at Google Analytics for XenForo.com over the past month to see what browser shares we are getting, and I was shocked at the low percentage of Internet Explorer visits we get. I suppose it's to be expected, as most of the visitors here are fairly technically proficient people who understand the benefits of modern browsers?
Actually, Firefox is becoming more common among the average user. At least around me anyway. Almost all of my friends use either Firefox or Opera, and I get calls from them to "fix their internet" on almost a daily basis. Lol.

Minor note, 100 posts messgaes.

I suspect that's the reason. Anyone who runs a forum by the definition is more technically savvy than the average users of our forums, obviously this depends on the forum subject matter, but I know from my motoring specific forum, we get a totally different visitor profile, with a higher IE share.

Top Bottom