1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Support for PHP 5.6.0?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Floren, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

PHP 5.6.0 is due to be released in a week. @Mike, @Kier, are there any constraints with XenForo?
    I plan to upgrade to PHP 5.6.0 as soon is released.

Alfa1 likes this.
  2. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

Just a casual question: Unless you want to be on the bleeding edge, why upgrade right away? I waited for PHP 5.5.x and MySQL 5.6.x and even Apache 2.4.x a bit before I jumped. So the server remains stable.

Lexy likes this.
  3. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Hi Gene,

Ya, the casual question. I always upgrade to latest version, I build my own RPM's.. in fact I upgrade a lot of software, some being not even available elsewhere, in order to improve the server performance and stability. IMO, it is a misconception thinking that running older software makes your environment more stable. :)

Looking forward to hear from developers if there are any conflicts with with PHP 5.6.0, which provides many improvements.

4. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

5. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

Looking forward to upgrading to 5.6 as well. In for answers from the developers...

6. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

We also like to upgrade to 5.6 as soon as possible.

7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There are no known issues with PHP 5.6 in the latest versions of XF. (The BC breaks in 5.6 are generally fairly small, though there are some.)

RoldanLT, thedude and Floren like this.
  8. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

I upgraded to PHP 5.6.0, we are running on XenForo 1.3.1 without any issues.

Alfa1 likes this.
  9. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

what MYSQL version run??Appache??

10. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

@Lexy, Nginx 1.7.4 and MariaDB 10.0.13.

Alfa1 likes this.
  11. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I should clarify that my comment related specifically to the most recent version. There is an issue in 1.3.1. See the first change here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-3-4-released.78372/ I don't necessarily know the full extent of it, though it does interfere with email address validation.

12. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Thanks @Mike, I was looking at the server logs and so far nothing crazy spitted during user registration, email notification, etc. @MattW does have an issue on XenForo 1.4.0 with bouncing emails, he will report the bug.

13. Jattitude

Jattitude Member

Did you have to tweak anything ? Works out of the box?

I run on php 5.5.15 and would like to try out the newer version.

14. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

@Jattitude, I just installed the AXIVO rpms and used the previous igbinary/memcached.ini settings. No issues.
    @MattW can comment more on the 1.4.0 issues he encountered, I'm running 1.3.1 on live site.

15. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

The issues were down to my own setup and ipv6

16. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

migrating from 5.4.3 to 5.6 it is safe, do i must backup my files before do that???

17. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

you mean php 5.4.3 to php 5.6?

you dont need to backup your xenforo files, but I suggest you to backup your php.ini

18. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

PHP 5.6 it is stable version?

19. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Yes.