1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support for Google Invisible Captcha

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Jake B., Aug 29, 2016.

1. Jake B.

Jake B. Well-Known Member

Reinhard, semprot, eva2000 and 16 others like this.
  2. suineg

suineg Member

Ooh I want this!

dondomainer likes this.
  3. suineg

suineg Member

I was added also @Jake B. and will be trying to see if I can hack it into there tomorrow.

Have you tried at all?

4. Jake B.

Not yet I haven't, shouldn't be hard to integrate

5. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

its release or what, how to use it on xenforo*?

6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Actually, it is somewhat difficult to integrate.

The big difference here is that the CAPTCHA stuff itself needs to be instantiated on the Submit button. This doesn't make it impossible, but it represents a big challenge that I don't think is workable.

For example, we can add template modifications and various customisations to the register_form template to make it work, but then you'd have to make similar customisations for the contact us form, or for guest posting, or for incorrect password attempts captcha or for random usage in random add-on XYZ (etc. etc.).

It's possible there might be a JS approach that can be taken, but I couldn't find an ideal way of doing this, again. Though I only had a cursory check on my own site.

Oh, and it doesn't work for <input type="submit"> buttons - it will only work with <button> elements -- reason being, is the HTML for the CAPTCHA itself is rendered inside the <button> element and that HTML isn't valid for input elements.

I'm going to feedback my findings and make some suggestions to the reCAPTCHA team. If they were able to allow the CAPTCHA to be set up on any HTML element inside the form where the submit button is, and do a bit of magic there (and even support <input> elements, such as inserting after the input, rather than inside it) then it could be viable, until then it will be very hacky at best.

semprot, eva2000, RobinHood and 2 others like this.
  7. suineg

suineg Member

Good information, I understand a lot of the words you used but this one might be outside the realm of hacky that I can do.

I figured it was just going to be a matter of changing the one .php and that would propagate throughout the system.

8. Chris D

Ironically, the PHP code itself doesn't need to change because the server side verification is the same.

But the way it needs to be attached to the submit button just isn't practical. Hopefully it's early enough in the process that it's something they can accommodate to make it easier to implement in our environment.

9. Jake B.

Didn't have this thread watched for some reason so I didn't get an alert for your post, where is this documented? I haven't been able to find any documentation for it. Surely there has to be a way to programmatically instantiate it and have it work without using <button>, if not that's a fairly substantial flaw on their end IMO

10. Chris D

It appears to be undocumented.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

11. Michael Ho

Michael Ho Member

Thank you. I find this helpful

12. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

any news how to work on Xenforo?