Lack of interest [Suggestions] What's New ease of use

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
A couple of ideas......

1. When thinking about how users use forums, it seems to me that a very typical behavior is to hammer what's new. A user will click what's new first, read a thread of interest, then hit what's new again, find a thread of interest, repeat ad nauseum. However, since they finish at the bottom of the thread, they have to scroll back up to the top to hit what's new.
    1. Solution 1. Include a what's new link at the bottom of the page.
    2. Solution 2. Have a hot key for what's new. (Not as good as then they would have to take their hands off the mouse.
  2. Personalized What's New. A user could pull up a forum directory, and check the forums they read and want to see activity in. Then clicking the personalized What's New would only give them the stuff they are interested in. A good example of where this would work best is digital point and the extensive directory structure. The downside is when a user would want to toggle between what's new all, and what's new personal selection.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
A couple of ideas......

1. When thinking about how users use forums, it seems to me that a very typical behavior is to hammer what's new. A user will click what's new first, read a thread of interest, then hit what's new again, find a thread of interest, repeat ad nauseum. However, since they finish at the bottom of the thread, they have to scroll back up to the top to hit what's new.
    1. Solution 1. Include a what's new link at the bottom of the page.
    2. Solution 2. Have a hot key for what's new. (Not as good as then they would have to take their hands off the mouse.
  2. Personalized What's New. A user could pull up a forum directory, and check the forums they read and want to see activity in. Then clicking the personalized What's New would only give them the stuff they are interested in. A good example of where this would work best is digital point and the extensive directory structure. The downside is when a user would want to toggle between what's new all, and what's new personal selection.

bump for opinions?

Am I missing something obvious, and everyone is embarrassed for me?

a) He could possibly provide a link to 'What's New' in the breadcrumb, and make it look active or something. Though, people are still unlikely to realize the point of it at first.
b) He's planning to add accesskeys later on, its just not a priority (Or thats what I got from a post a few days ago).

Having some kind of link to go back to the results in an easily accessible place is important, IMO. I don't like to scroll back to the top and then have to click a link to go back. I don't like to use the browser back button when I'm already focused at the bottom of the page. I dislike the 'Top' link. Gimme a breadcrumb or link at the top and bottom to click to go back :)

I disagree - not everyone uses What's New?
check your analytics stats for comparison

I'm guessing this system will use a similar template system as vbulletin. If that's the case, you can manually do this with ease.

I disagree - not everyone uses What's New?
check your analytics stats for comparison

I'm guessing this system will use a similar template system as vbulletin. If that's the case, you can manually do this with ease.

'What's New' and 'Get Daily' were among the highest used pages on one of my more active sites.

Yes, not everyone uses it, but many do, so offering it as default would probably be best as it hurts no one, and the people that already don't use it won't use it anyways, so they're unlikely to care.

--

I'd like for the thread pagination to be added to the 'What's New' page for threads (Like they are on forumdisplay).

Top Bottom