Not planned Suggestions to make the RM more extendable to other uses

Andy.N

A lot of us have been anticipating the release of RM so we can use it as Reviews/Job listing/etc on our own site.

Now, seeing the RM live here, it's the perfect opportunity to put in idea that Mike/Kier will look into and hopefully will make it into future releases.

To make it more useful for Review
  • Allow the admin to create a list of items to be review. For example, in my case, I would be interested in reviewing graduate programs from all over the world. So I would create an Info block for program X, Y, Z, etc and members can post reviews for each of the programs in my list.
  • The Info block will have a different look. The reviews from members will use a form
  • Allow the long review to be shown up to x words with View more link to expand.
  • Allow reviews to be anonymous (for privacy reasons). Allow reviews to be submitted by guests.
  • Allow comments for each review.
Here is an image of a mockup
sample-review.webp
To make it more useful for Job listing
  • Admin create category Jobs
  • Allow members of certain usergroup to create new items in this category. The users will be Employers.
  • When create a job, allow a predefined form to be used
  • Allow Employers and job seekers to watch a job
  • Allow comments to be posted by employers and job seekers.
  • Allow resume (PDF) to be uploaded by job seekers and viewable only by employers.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Similar question here: would it be possible to modify the Resource Manager add-on to make it into a review section (in my case, for music singles and albums)? I wouldn't need the attachment-based portion of it since I can't legally give MP3s without the copyright owners' permission, but having a review section would be nice, and I don't think it'd be too much work to modify the RM as such.

Maybe that's too premature a question considering pricing hasn't been announced yet. I guess overall I'm wondering about if removing the attachment portion of the RM would be, a) possible, and b) discounted from the normal price.

To be honest this sounds like it should be an addon or something that somebody makes for the RM. I don't think the RM was meant to be for reviews or job listings by itself.
I don't expect RM to be a reviews/job listings.
Just enough options (permission/layout/etc) so that I can mold it into anything I want.

How many people here are going to get RM to use it for the exact purpose it was built for xf.com?

RM is still young and i'm confident it will improve and have more features. Failing that, I will just hire someone to extend it. So instead of building something from scratch, they can extend it for my need.

The RM has improved a great deal since its debut and this is just a quick follow up to see how it meets what I plan to do with it on my site.

Please comment if I miss anything.
A lot of us have been anticipating the release of RM so we can use it as Reviews/Job listing/etc on our own site.

Now, seeing the RM live here, it's the perfect opportunity to put in idea that Mike/Kier will look into and hopefully will make it into future releases.

To make it more useful for Review
  • Allow the admin to create a list of items to be review. For example, in my case, I would be interested in reviewing graduate programs from all over the world. So I would create an Info block for program X, Y, Z, etc and members can post reviews for each of the programs in my list.
Already possible. The admin will act as Author and create first post, upload picture, etc. Do the same for all the programs.
The Info block will have a different look. The reviews from members will use a form
looks like the reviews are free form
Allow the long review to be shown up to x words with View more link to expand.
Implemented
Allow reviews to be anonymous (for privacy reasons). Allow reviews to be submitted by guests.
Unsure about the anonymous function. Guest review is not required. We will just allow registered members to review.
Allow comments for each review.
The discussion tab takes care of this beautifully.
  • Allow members of certain usergroup to create new items in this category. The users will be Employers
Job posters will be authors of the resource
When create a job, allow a predefined form to be used
Looks like free form only
Allow Employers and job seekers to watch a job
Job seekers can already watch a thread. Not sure if employers can watch a thread for replies.
Allow comments to be posted by employers and job seekers.
Yes. Employers can create updates.
Allow resume (PDF) to be uploaded by job seekers and viewable only by employers.
Probably permission setting where only authors can view the submission (or reviews) and file attachments.

so what about turning the "Resource Manager" (RM) into a fully-fledged Marketplace and Classifieds-system ? :)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/can-a-resource-be-a-company.33408/

Image%202012.10.02%205:55:43%20PM.png

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/if-you-were-kam-who-would-you-hire.37006/page-8#post-423328

• Allow members of certain usergroup to create new items in this category. The users will be Employers.
  • When create a job, allow a predefined form to be used
  • Allow Employers and job seekers to watch a job
  • Allow comments to be posted by employers and job seekers.
  • Allow resume (PDF) to be uploaded by job seekers and viewable only by employers.

are you still considering to use the RM for a job-board ?
Uploading of Resume, CV, certificates, Job-offers in .pdf ?

I am wondering how this might look like ?

Thread should be renamed. Thiis not about making the RM more open and flexible for different possibilities. Noer is it about a few simple tweaks in css.
It's about sets of very specific uses - detailed specs for reviews, or classifieds.
Please make it a more accurate title.

Suggestion threads such as this aren't really useful at all.

As per the guidelines, it should be one suggestion per thread, not a huge list with other posters adding to it in follow up posts.

Suggestions which follow the guidelines are more likely to be picked up by the community and subsequently noticed by the developers.

I think we do need a "Brainstorming"-Forum to submit ideas and share ideas and to literally do some creative brainstorming.

:coffee:

Top Bottom