Suggestions for private staff forums?

Floren

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could share your private forums structure, where only your staff has access.
Something like:
Private Forums
-- Abusive Users
-- Legal Issues
-- Staff Lounge
-- Etc.

I'm not familiar with forum management and I would like your input on that. Thanks.

I only have two private forums, one for my co-admins, and one for my moderators. I don't have much traffic there anyway, mostly reports that need to be handled and some coordination for work within the community.

One forum for abuse reports (may be no longer be necessary once XFs report center is mature enough), one forum for multiple account info and one forum for general moderation discussions.

This has been running a very huge forum well since 20 years.

I have two forums for staff-only. One for all staff discussions, and one as a place to put posts that need to be removed but not deleted.

I have one single private forum for staff. I've made an add-on that every user ban (my moderators are global and have access to all nodes and they also can ban but not access the ACP) is getting notified in the staff forum. It opens an automatic post with the reason and the direct post the user got banned or warned (works for both situations). Ban and Warn has different prefixes, so it's easy to follow on. It makes the staff forum much more productive since there are discussion on user behavior and sometimes debates if this warning/ban was right or wrong. I mainly did it to gain control on what my moderators are doing.

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could share your private forums structure, where only your staff has access.
Something like:
Private Forums
-- Abusive Users
-- Legal Issues
-- Staff Lounge
-- Etc.

I'm not familiar with forum management and I would like your input on that. Thanks.

We've got two moderator/Admin forums.
(As an aside, on our system Admins also are given Super Moderator permissions.)

First forum is called Moderators and it exists for discussion of moderator and admin issues on our forums.
The 2nd forum is called Sandbox and it exists for moderators and admins to test moderator/admin features on test users.
These two forums are not visible to anyone not a moderator or admin.

We also have another forum called "Squirrels Nest".
Users are placed into Squirrel Nest class if they can't follow the rules. They have access only to the Squirrels Nest forum.

Only admins and Squirrels have access to the Squirrels Net.

In my opinion, you don't want to offer your moderators/admins a bunch of forums to hang out in...because they will. And then the traffic in your main forums will go down. Bad. Also, don't encourage gossip about members. Sets the wrong tone. One board for moderator talk and another for reported posts. That's enough.

Moderators (General discussion / mod team tea-room)
--- Reports (don't use the report centre - prefer discussion threads and easy for new mods to grasp as it's the same familiar interface we all use on the forums)
--- Deleted content (spam cleaner deletions and anything we manually remove [saves it clogging-up the main board when us mods are browsing])
--- Member issues (thread title is username - all warnings, actions, etc. go here so we can refer to past issues when deciding how to escalate moderation of a particular user)

Last edited:
In my opinion, you don't want to offer your moderators/admins a bunch of forums to hang out in...because they will. And then the traffic in your main forums will go down. Bad. Also, don't encourage gossip about members. Sets the wrong tone. One board for moderator talk and another for reported posts. That's enough.

That's by far the best advice.

1. one main moderator forum with one thread per moderation area.
  2. a supermod forum
  3. garbage bin
  4. post reports
  5. resolved reports
  6. duplicate accounts
  7. staff wiki

Top Bottom