Lack of interest [Suggestion] XQL

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Brandon_R

I'm suggesting the devs add support for a xenforo query language [XQL] kinda like how JIRA does it.

In the search if someone inputs an XQL like

SELECT username FROM members WHERE memberId = 1

or

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE postContent = %tag%

and it would return a list of returns, of course the tables search-able should be indexes only.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ewww, no.

You're thinking like a developer. 99% of users would never use something like this. No way in hell are they going to learn SQL to use the search system. Something simple like how Google does it would be much better

Something like:
keyword member:Eriksrocks or
foo bar member:Eriksrocks tags:Google,XenForo,Facebook

Sorry, but the idea of SQL in search queries just makes me want to cringe. The only place this would be useful would be for modifications, in which case you can just use standard SQL. :)

It would be pretty stuid to expect members to effectively learn SQL (or any language system) to be able to perform something as simple as a search.

-1 from me.

(sorry...not ranting at you, but you need to see it from a novice point of view)

I was thinking like a developer when i suggested it. :D
Were you down the pub at the time? :)

I dont see how from a 'developer' perspective how you can (or would want to) simplify SQL further. Besides, surely an abstraction layer on top of regular SQL would be unnecessary overhead?

Were you down the pub at the time? :)

I dont see how from a 'developer' perspective how you can (or would want to) simplify SQL further. Besides, surely an abstraction layer on top of regular SQL would be unnecessary overhead?
Try asking Rick or Erik, they know more than me.

Well, I can see how this could be useful if you wanted to provide SQL-like functionality while restricting what can be queried, retrieved, etc. Essentially if you wanted to limit the SQL functionality. Though, for the reasons I mentioned above, it's not that useful for search. :) And yes, it would add extra overhead. :)

Top Bottom