Implemented [Suggestion] Who is Online Page Display Order

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think something like this needs to be standardized but that could add bloat as who would ever want to sort users on the who's online by registration date etc?

Don't want something like this do we :P

moz-screenshot-1.png

fat-hairy-form-png.193

moz-screenshot.png

Yes, a customizable and adjustable filter with tabs on top of the page would be fine.

Code:
[All] [Members] [Followers] [Following] [Staff] [Usergroup A] [UG B (...)] [Bots/Spiders] [Guests]

I see that the Current Visitors page lists the most recent activity at the top, but it would be cool if the registered users were grouped at the top and guests below. Like some other forums list visitors.

If it's okay to suggest something some other forums do. Which I can understand it may not be...

I could argue both ways, depends on what the object is.
  • See who is registered that is online
  • See who the latest IPs are and what they are doing
Template mod?

Well, the idea being that you still see registered users and guests, but the registered users list takes precedence and is at the top of the results.

A template mod? Maybe. I think the query that orders the results would have to be modified to GROUP BY registered users (or something).

ah you are probably correct, I've not dug into those things.

As the admin, I find the guests at least as interesting as the members, but I could easily be in the minority on that.

My moderators pointed it out and asked if it could be changed. But I have to agree with them, I'm a little more interested in what registered users are doing.

On my other forum software, my members asked that the who's online show registered users only. So I have that as the default and then if you're curious you can choose to show guests, known search engines, etc. Once we reached the point where we couldn't allow unregistered guests to post due to spam on the net, my members weren't really interested in what unregistered guests were doing since guests can only read (as is shown by the view count on each thread anyway) but not interact/post until they register. I'd also like to see a similar option in xenforo where you could select the default shown but then if someone is curious they can choose to see guests/bots/etc. grouped by type.

Agreed. I'd also like to see an option to set the default sort order of the member list by most recent visit or by post count.

(I don't like encouraging people to signup with usernames like AAAAAAuto or ........andy to appear first in the list, plus I think it's more interesting to show the default member list based on last visit or seniority/activity rather than just alphabetical. If people are searching it they can click on the letter they're interested in or search for a username, the chance that they're looking for A is small anyway.)

Top Bottom