1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Disable Who is online, Member List, Profile Page

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by semprot, Mar 4, 2014.

1. semprot

semprot Active Member

I'd like XF to add core features :
    - allow who is online to be totally disabled.
    - allow member list to be totally disabled.
    - disallow certain usergroup (such as unregistered users) to view member profile page.

Note : i've used add on to handle this, but i think this should be core because it is basic function for anonymity / saving server resource.

While disallowing unregistered users to view member profile page will discourage spammer, because some spammers just register, put link on their profile page, and never post / anything. So they rely on google (unregistered user) visiting their profile page and index their links.

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

A no from me. I don't see a need for this. However, profile pages can already be restricted via privacy settings.

3. semprot

semprot Active Member

That's per user, not per user group. Which is lot of hassle in case of forum profile spam attack.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I've never seen spam bots post spam on others' profiles.

5. semprot

semprot Active Member

Nope it's not like that.
    Example :
    A bot registers on the forum.
    It never posts anything, it just add a link to his website in his own profile.
    It logs out and it hopes Google will index his http://xenforo.com/community/members/his-spam-username.1111/

6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Who is online can be hidden from guests using a conditional (I do this).
    Member list link can be hidden from guests using a conditional or completely hidden using an add-on.
    Profile pages can be set to members only in the ACP. A bot is highly unlikely to change any personal settings to make this public.

It would be nice to have an option to set who is online and member list to hidden from guests built in for those who aren't so good with conditionals. I don't think an option to completely disable them should be added - they are, after all, core features of pretty much every forum software.

Amaury likes this.
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It happens more than you would think.

8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I've never seen it done on XenForo. However, back when we were on vBulletin, it was a pretty common thing.

9. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

- allow who is online to be totally disabled.
    Very easy to implement via conditional

- allow member list to be totally disabled.
    There is an option for this already, under User Options

- disallow certain usergroup (such as
    unregistered users) to view member profile
    page.
    Edit Usergroup permission

semprot likes this.
  10. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

Hi Roland ,
    My guest settings are all off except view and view node, yet guest see the left box saying users online. And the members header button shows all members too. Under user options the enable members list is not checked either. Like to turn off forum stats too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  11. semprot

semprot Active Member

You can use my mod here
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/semprot-disable-online-list.2865/

12. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

Hi Semprot, does the mod disable for everyone? Or just guest?
    I am wanting for guest to not see the list but members and staff to be able to.

13. semprot

semprot Active Member

Unfortunately it disables for everyone :(

14. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

Well I do thank you however for the suggestion.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

semprot and Amaury like this.