Lack of interest [Suggestion] Threads auto close after X time

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I could never understand why people like to force threads to automatically lock after a certain time. Many threads can last weeks/months and can still be relevant after a while of being inactive.

It depends entirely on the context/content. Some subjects are ephemeral, some are not. In addition, the people that were discussing things may no longer be around years later. I can see a need for this for an add on for some forums.

I used a mod like this for support topics; if they're open for longer then a month, they're usually answered, or the person no longer needed help any longer.

I think it should be an option on last post date however. 

If it was per-forum it might be a bit more helpful. I can imagine a few forums where a thread shouldn't be resurrected after a certain period of activity, such as an introduction forum or an off-topic forum.

I doubt this will become standard. Kier's said their philosophy is to encourage participation, auto-locking threads hardly does that.

Whilst I accept there are a small number of boards for whom this might be needed, most sites I see using this sort of add on are simply adopting the usual "Don't post that! Don't post there! Do as you're told!" attitude that far too many forums (indeed, the majority!) have, moderated by power-crazy people, often kids.

And people wonder why everyone's going to Facebook. Don't get told where to post there.

I spend all day at work being told what to do, I don't want it in my leisure time also.

If it was per-forum it might be a bit more helpful. I can imagine a few forums where a thread shouldn't be resurrected after a certain period of activity, such as an introduction forum or an off-topic forum.

Ability to choose when creating a forum would be great.

One example where it is useful - locking the old classifieds threads. An year old ad certainly doesn't need to be bumped with a reply, and sometimes the members are digging out even earlier ads using forum search.

I could never understand why people like to force threads to automatically lock after a certain time. Many threads can last weeks/months and can still be relevant after a while of being inactive.
I share that thought. :)

Basically that's the idea, the threads auto close after some time without replies.

I don't like this idea. Many threads could be interesting again just like movies (cinema, dvd/blu-ray/tv)
If there will be an feature for this it shold have the option "never" ;)

As option for Admin's it can be a possibility.
In normal case it's not required.
Why shall a auto-close a advantage?

Can't you just select and close them, or move them to an Archive forum?
Depending on the forum, there could be a lot of threads you have to deal with in the short period of time. Having it automated would allow you to pay attention to other areas of the site better.

It would work fine as a mod, just its something that tends to be commonly used (mostly for support sites).

I had people bumping topics from 1-2 years ago, and that got annoying. 

It would work fine as a mod, just its something that tends to be commonly used (mostly for support sites).

I had people bumping topics from 1-2 years ago, and that got annoying.
Yes. In the past I've felt the need to have a modification to do the following types of things:
  • Auto delete or close ads in a classifieds forum
  • Auto close certain tech support threads, ideally at the end of...30?days have a best answer chosen.
  • Have threads older than 6 months, regardless of where on the site, have a 'are you sure' type message when people try to reply. Because many times someone will ask 'do want to sell that ___? I've been looking all over for it' when someone posted a picture years ago and it was not even something for sale.
Those are really not the types of things that all forums would want, so it probably should not be in the base software.

Top Bottom