1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] Search Engine Optimization

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by shabbirbhimani, Jul 31, 2010.

1. shabbirbhimani

shabbirbhimani Active Member

The one thing which any forum software are missing are SEO and so you should take that as the first priority.

I already see the hints of them but I think I would suggest that it should be the first line of action.

According to me Wordpress is so popular I think because of ease of SEO.

2. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

IMO, XenForo is already pretty SE optimised out-of-the-box.

3. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

From my perspective I see all the underpinnings covered (readable URLs, canonicalization with 301 redirects, auto generated meta description, H1 title tags).

vBSEO became popular because vB itself was SEO'd poorly out of the box (admittedly, they've improved with 4.0). XenForo on the other hand is already SEO'd properly.

4. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

yeah looks to be that way and there's already a few well known SEO pros on this forum to lend their advice i guess hehe

5. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

what i really need it's a vBSEO to XF converter ... so I will not lose anything ... :)

6. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

::nods::

But from what Mike/Kier said, it seems very likely that it will be easy to setup automated 301 redirects from your old VBSEO urls to the new XF versions. Honestly that's a HUGE issue that is a make/break for any established site with good SERP's in Google etc, so I really hope it's a turnkey part of the solution :).

7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Shouldn't be too hard to make. Just redirect the threads to the normal vbulletin urls and then from that to the new xF urls.

8. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

if i understand, the procedure should be: make a 301 from the SEO to the vB (cause i need to uninstall it before the change) then make another 301 from the vB to xF correct? however we need more infos about that ... we cannot do any mistake with this ...

9. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

I'd like to know more about this as well.

KURTZ likes this.
  10. Floris

Floris Guest

What do you think you're currently missing in XenForo?

11. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

Looks like an impressive new platform. Honestly, this is what I was hoping for with vB4. Like many of you, my biggest issue would be an easy way to redirect all of my vBSEO URL's.

12. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

I do like the way IPB works on 301 redirects when you active the Seo Friendly option. It redirects all dead links in Google back to you forum homepage. Would be good if XenForo did the same also.

13. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

That is IMHO a bad thing to do is if a link is dead it should not lead to a live link because that's not what the link is. Rather a 404 page would do more seo goodness.

Derek Ivey likes this.